Current Design Storm GT

I am looking at the above mentioned kayak. I am wanting to move up to a better model with more touring capabilities. I am still somewhat new with only two years experience. I asked about bulkheads and this is what they said: Yes, this boat does have both a front and rear bulk head. In this boat, as in all plastic, roto-molded kayaks, the bulk heads are

mini-cell foam. Is this correct? I currently have a Old Town Dirigo 14’ and I want something faster and sleaker to paddle in. Also open to any comments about this the Storm GT.

Thanks,

Lila

Long established boat
Current Designs build quality is good. They have used foam bulkheads in their poly boats for years.

The Storm has been around a long time and has been used by many paddlers of all levels of experience.

It is the poly version of the Solstice and is a well respected North American design.

The Storm is a tracker, and is reassuring and capable. It is not a playful boat.

If you are not a big person, it can be a lot of boat to handle.

what he said
i’ve known a couple people who had Storm’s and been very happy. of the poly boats, it’s very well made, good comfortable seat for most, solid tourer. fits on the larger side, and it’s a bit wide, but for a general touring boat, it delivers. also CD has one of the best, if not the best production rudder out there. you wouldn’t call it an ‘enthusiasts’ boat for those who want to wear their kayak and try and crank out tight turns and the like, but it’s a solid choice. if you want narrow and sporty, that’s a different ball of wax all together. haul gear, beat the crap out of the boat and not worry about it? Storm all the way.

Like 'em loaded
I’ve paddled my buddy’s Storm on a few trips and I like it rather well. In wind and waves, I prefer the way it behaves when it is loaded. If you are a small person, and you paddle it empty in weather, you may feel like you are getting pushed around a little. That may be true of other similar size boats, too. I just asked my friend if the hatched compartments stay dry, and he said he has never had problems with leakage, so that is a plus.

My opinion is that the Storm is a solid boat.

~~Chip

Solid boats
CD makes boats that get you there and don’t throw you nasty curves along the way. I don’t know the GT but my first sea kayak was a Squall, also in the Solstice series. Given it’s in the Solstice series and ruddered, you’ll want to get another boat for playing in surf or rocks. But the GT will probably always have a place.

The minicell bulkheads are easy to maintain - get some Lexel or similar around the rims once or twice a season to maintain dryness in the compartments.

storm & solstice
I’ve been able to find a used storm for my husband and a used solstice for my son. My husband is 6’4" and fits the storm very well. That boat is way to big for me and my daughter. The solstice is longer but all of us can paddle it just fine. The storm was the only used boat that we found that would accomodate my husband’s big feet. Plus he likes a rudder. The storm is a BIG person’s boat.

Current Design Storm GT
Thanks for all the advice. I bought the kayak and I’m just waiting for it to arrive.

Lila

That series of boats is solid
I have paddled and owned boats that are better by my criteria but Current Designs boats are in general first rate and the plastic series you are considering are very decent boats. As long as you (or whoever) fits, go for it.

How big are you?

– Last Updated: Jan-22-09 7:52 AM EST –

I just saw your reply with the name Lila and realized that you are likely of the female persuasion - I have been bit distracted and didn't spot that in the original post. If so I'd caution you that this boat may be way more volume than you'll find you want to live with long term. Are you totally committed to this boat at this point, or would you be able to turn it around for something more designed for an average sized female like a CD Squall if you wanted?

Storm is for giants.

– Last Updated: Jan-22-09 1:09 AM EST –

I seond (third or fourth) what Celia said. Some people view kayaks as sit-in craft, when in reality a good sea kayak is a 'part-of-you' craft, instead, A craft to fit your thighs, body and legs, so that it can be controlled. No one is more aware of this than experienced kayaker Celia, who has been one of the better veterans of Pnet in actually getting kayaks that fit (rather than, like the rest of us, getting huge ones only to find what Celias has said to be very true).

I was considering a Solstice, but the tendency for it (and the Storm) to "pearl" in waves is legendary. PLus, I am not correct size for it (69 inches, 165#), and if you are too small, the tented v-front deck will be a bear as it is, for CD boats, right in front of the cockpit and is very pronounced and can really get in the way of any low angle paddling (or when you are just plain tired and the arms come down).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tall_guy/42534118/

So, if you are a woman (unless you belong to the WNBA), you might wish to reconsider. Sounds like you have ordered one without sitting in it? G'luck Lila. Many of us buy and sell boats all the time. If cannot cancel order (unless the boat fits you), you can enjoy for a coupole months, see that it is giant sized, and give to someone.

Your Pnet moniker reminded me of Prijon retailer, Landis Arnold. But he'd never paddle a CD.

Have fun. Get wet. Seedy One.

There not be “giants” in my Storm,
but at 5 ft 7 in and 200 lbs, there not be “little” people neither.

Though I am built like a sack of cement, I had to use hip pads and many other bits of minicel foam to achieve positive contact with this boat.

IMO Storm paddles best loaded; it’s a bit “twitchy” empty in conditions.

Loved the Storm; paddled mine and others’ lots of places, and always had a great ride; but eventually sold mine, moved on, searching for that “perfect” boat - probably that’s why I now own 3 kayaks.

Mike

CD Storm GT
Yes by the name, Lila, I am female, but I am by no means petite. I am 5’10 175#. I did buy it without sitting in one. Could be my mistake. I just wanted something that I could do some overnight touring and wanted a yak I could really load up with supplies. I also wanted one that I could get out in along the Texas coast. The Dirigo has a huge cockpit that I did not like at all. I was looking for a boat with a tighter fit. I bought the Dirigo to fish in but I really, really enjoy just paddling. I’ll let everyone know how the new one tests out over the weekend.

Thanks Lila
You are 6 inches and 40 pounds closer to the size for this boat than I am, and more so if you take advantage of the volume to throw in a kit like extra water and change of clothing, emergency shelter etc for a day trip. I’d suggest that you do that pretty freely.

If you decide to go after rolling, take the likely offer to use something smaller and more tight fitting than the GT. The Solstice boats have a honking big catch point where they will hold before capsizing, the comforting part of these boats, or will have to be gotten by in a roll. Not a problem once you have it down, but I found that initially getting it was easier in a boat that rolled thru the entire motion with less of a spot of resistance.

Just curious - obviously I missed that you were female, but why else did you decide to go for the GT? At your size and weight you are pretty much the average size paddler since it is usually gauged against guys.

Current Design Storm GT
There were a couple of reasons I went with the Storm…price being one of them. I got a great deal on it and I like the fact that it came with a rudder. I wanted one that I could tour in or hit the ocean…which I have not tried yet. I compared the cockpit dimensions to several others and liked the size…least on paper. I wanted something that would offer me a little bit of a challenge too. I swear I could stand in the Dirigo and it would not tip. I liked what the reviews said about Current Designs i.e. making a quality kayak.

Further comments
There are a few components to fit, one of which is depth. If a boat is too tall, the thigh braces become knee braces thus not much good for control. But I just checked the specs, and assuming my Squall was the same as the current one you should be OK there at 6" taller than me. I was hitting thigh braces and the Squall is listed as just an inch shorter.

If I am wrong, you can pad down the thigh braces with minicell foam.

As to the hips, 6" taller than me and only 40 pounds lighter suggests someone who is on the lean side - at least leaner than me. So I suspect the width will be fine.

I have one other comment because of the ocean wishes. While having a properly equipped sea kayak is good for the ocean because of the various safety features like bulkheads and perimeter lines, the biggest safety factor is the paddler’s own skills and knowledge for that environment. If you are planning to paddle in the ocean, I suggest that you take you and the Storm out somewhere to go in a group or a training situation where you can get down self-rescues, basic navigation, bracing etc.

Current Design Storm GT
Yes, I would never attempt an ocean paddle without some training. I have already been invited to paddle with a group down in Corpus Christi on the Texas coast. I am going to paddle with their group some this summer.

Birth of the Storm
Be happy with your decision to buy the Storm, it is based on, IMHO, the best touring boat every made. Fill it full of stuff around your thighs if it gets too loose for you, then take it out into the Ocean and play.

Now the birthing story. I was paddling in West Greenland with Brian Henry – founder of Current Design – when the idea for the boat came into being. He had airfreighted his Solstice GT to Nuuk and we had to help him with hauling it gently over the boulders that were scattered along all of the beaches along the coast. I think it was our scolding about his concern for the GT’s hull that got him thinking about a plastic boat. We were paddling a collection of kayaks that varied from a couple of Greenland boats to a Chinook!. It was just a year or two later that the Storm came on line.

Thank him for the Squall
IMO the best plastic touring boat of its era :slight_smile:

But then I am its size.

Seriously, these were great boats and I remain forever glad that the Squall was my first sea kayak. It helped me get going in all the right ways.

Current Design Storm GT
Darn weather has not cooperated with me so I have not tried it out yet. Saturday I drove to Dallas, about 1.5 hours south of me, to pick it up from Forward Air. We’ve had ice and sleet ever since. However, I am excited by the quality and workmanship of this kayak. First halfway decent day, I am going out in it. I can’t wait to report on the maiden voyage.

Birth of the Storm
Great story…I’ll tell my friends that are serioiusly thinking about CD kayak.