Current Designs Freedom fitness kayak

Add the following to your list
Consider adding the following to your list of fitness kayaks:

KayakPro Nemo & Marlin -

Probably the best two production boats designed to mees the USCA “Sea Kayak” racing spec. Despite similar overall dimensions, the Nemo is for lighter paddlers while the Marlin suits heavier paddlers, especially in bigger water.

Huki S1-R & Epic V10 Sport Surfskis -

Yes, I think surfskis are appropriate as fitness kayaks. The waterline dimensions of these two models are close to the Westside EFT. These boats provide intermediate levels of stability and near unlimited level performance.

Fitness Kayaks/Skis, et al
I hope you enjoy the Jet, Medicineman. Funny, no sooner had this thread taken off than a friend emailed me to tell me he had his Jet out on a fairly flatwater paddle, and had little difficulty keeping up with another very competent paddler who was in his V10. The Jet owner’s words: “…the Jet is not a slow boat.”

Comparing the V10 Sport to the S1-R to the EFT…the V10 sport and the S1-R are roughly similar, although I’d rather be in the S1-R when conditions kick up. The single footwell of the Sport is nice for rotation, although the seatwell is HUGE. My EFT is hands down faster than my S1-R on flatter water-better glide. Using the 4" rudder vs. the 8" on the R narrows the gap a bit, but not by much. Again, when conditions kick up, I’d rather be in the S1-R. The EFT is a closer match for the S1-X on flat water; it’s a deceptively quick boat.

Revised list
At least where I’d go with it:

Marlin/Nemo

Kayakpro Jet

Think Fit

WestSide EFT

Huki S1-R

Epic V10 Sport

And while we’re adding skis, the Think Evo

I’d be able to narrow this further for myself based on other requirements/trade-offs - and ideally test paddles. For me, until Think comes out with something in between the Fit and Evo that’s also rolling optimized, I’d be leaning toward an Evo for myself right now. I’m probably a bit heavy for Fit/Jet, and ski makes a lot of sense in S FL anyway (but the “next” kayak has a way of changing). A side by side demo of Evo, V10 Sport, and S1-R would be REALLY nice (and it would mostly come down to bucket fit/feel and any remount edge one might have over the other for me).

I bought a Think Evo
This discussion was quite useful to me as I was considering a purchase last fall.

At first, I was considering a 16’ Wilderness Systems Tsunami. Then I heard of the concept of “fitness” kayaks. That led me to this discussion. Primarily due to availability (I was unable to demo a Jet), I was looking at the Think Fit.

Due to Eric Borgness’ suggestion (and this discussion), I also considered surfskis. Due to availability in the midwest, it was down to the Epic V10 Sport and the Think Evo for surfskis. I eliminated the Epic V10 Sport from consideration due to the many reviews that commented negatively about how overly wide the seatwell is.

So that brought it down to the Think Fit vs. the Think Evo. I demoed them both. The decision was a hard one and I vacilated several times between them.

Finally, I settled on a glass Evo and am LOVING it.

Eric E. Haas

Inflatable Boats

– Last Updated: Apr-23-10 9:53 PM EST –

I knew that has corporate design air boat unusual good, may in the aquatic very good movement,http://www.east-inflatables.com/Buy-Inflatable-Boats-41.html

Wanted to add to the old thread regarding the CD Freedom. The good: plenty quick, flat water boat, super light, not at all soft as some suggest, actually very stiff and extremely well built. A stable enough pleasure in smooth water and a real mile gobbler. When the seas churn up it fairly quickly becomes a bit of a corky mess. It is light and gets tossed around, taking your rhythm with it. Punching straight thru no problem, dead down is a handful and big beam seas are just shy of a nightmare. What was just a bit ‘tippy’ becomes ‘yikes’ . I won’t do that again. When the wind is up, it’s my QCC600X or nothing. Just my two cents worth.