Current Designs - Jesper Kromen Anderson - Prana, Sisu, Karla

I have been quite tempted by this new line of Current Designs kayaks for a while. Unfortunately, there isn’t anyone in the area stocking much in the way of high performance sea kayaks. They had, I believe, a Karla LV, and a Prana at the East Coast Paddlesports Symposium in Charleston last April. I took the opportunity to spend a few minutes in both on the flatwater pond there, I seemed to fit just fine in the Karla LV, so if any of you were there and confirm that was indeed a low volume version of the Karla, that would be helpful. I’m guessing if the Karla LV was good, I’d be good with LV in all 3.
I’m really curious if anyone has had the opportunity to try these kayaks in conditions. There are always compromises going on in kayak design, and having probably a quicker than average solo-paddling pace, it was noticeable to me that the Prana was quicker than the Karla (as you would fully expect). That always feels good to me. The Prana also felt very maneuverable. The thing I would have loved to have done is take them both to the beach, and experienced them riding waves. On flatwater, small waves, and in open water swells, I believe I would prefer the Prana. But the Karla is meant to shine in rough playful situations. So how much do I lose in open water swells in the Karla vs the Prana, vs how much do I gain in steep wave handling in the Karla vs Prana?
When I’m riding surf waves, does the Prana’s bow plunge under fairly easily - let’s say, compared to a Capella or an Explorer, or does it hold its own in that regard? Then switch over to the Sisu. If I like my play boat to maintain more quickness than the average Joe, comparing the 3, is the Sisu noticeably sluggish compared to the Prana, or noticeably quicker than the Karla? Is it closer in speed to one or the other? And is there a significant difference between the ability of the Sisu to handle steep waves without pearling compared to the Prana. How about the Sisu vs the Karla?

If there’s anyone out there with some experience and thoughts on these, I’d love to hear about it.

Thank you.

Magoo"s been in prana I recall

I paddle a Sisu LV but can’t offer a comparison to the shorter or longer of its Danish-design brethren. I’m also building up to more serious surf from moderate ocean swell, so I can’t speak to pearling. But as a skill-building boat and all-rounder, I’m thrilled with it. Maneuverable and I can keep up with all but the surfskis.

I have a Prana LV, @CapeFear. A used demo crossed my path the end of July. Didn’t need another boat, especially a 17-foot one, but very happy I listened to my instincts and not my head. Just wish I lived closer as I’d give it to you for a week of play.

I think you’d fit the Prana LV fine. Most manufacturers designate their LV models for small paddlers. CD designates its Danish LVs for medium to XL paddlers. I’m 5’5", 110# and had to add hip pads and build up the thigh pads but still have more than enough room for hip rotation.

It’s fast, nimble, has a lovely glide, and I find it extraordinarily stable. The forward day hatch is roomy, but doesn’t interfere with my legs (also installed a foam foot brace). The rear day hatch is also large, being centered on the low, completely flat back deck - a design feature I appreciate.

You have mega skills and play on the ocean. I have minimal skills and play on Lake Michigan primarily, where our waves are quite different with very short intervals. My Fathom LV has buried its bow a few times, but so far not the Prana. My goal is to develop my skills with the boat; it will be a good teacher.

Sure hope you can locate one of the CD reps who travel around with demo boats so you can test the Danish designs in your favorite conditions.

Thank you for your input.

Rookie, that’s such a tease! How I would love to spend this weekend in a Prana LV on the local beaches. I did note, paddling the Prana for a few minutes at the festival, that the cockpit is set up great for a powerful forward stroke, and that definitely put a smile on my face. I know the Prana has a pretty good degree of rocker already.

AlwaysWet, it sounds like the Sisu doesn’t seem at all sluggish to you. That’s pretty reassuring.

That’s my conundrum - how much of an edge in quickness vs how much of an edge in handling steeper waves. I imagine I just have to pull the trigger on one, enjoy the heck out of it, and see if it leaves me wondering about one of the others.

Credit cards are a wonderful thing. Get one of each.

That’s the problem with kayaks not many places stock them anymore. They don’t even have rentals to demo. Places on Long Island seem to have sold off all sea kayaks they used as demo’s or rentals. They said people just don’t rent them like they used. They manly rent rec kayaks.

River Connection is only thing even remotely near me that has anything. That’s a 3 hour drive each way for me.

I’d like to try a prana

I’d like to try an Astral green jacket and can’t even do that.

Prana looks to low in height for me. Similar to Caribou which I didn’t like.

Maybe it’s useful to mention I’m 5’11” 160lb. I still added some foam to the thigh braces and am experimenting with closing in the gaps around the hips. So the LV Sisu is indeed roomy.

Thanks AlwaysWet. That is useful. is there plenty of room for my legs - 6’, 32" inseam? I’m guessing pretty similar to you. Any issue setting the footpegs back far enough in the Sisu LV?

You’d be fine in the LV. At a 30” inseam I’m only halfway down the foot peg slider.

Thank you!

I ordered a Sisu LV in kevlar heavy water layup and took delivery in the spring. Beautiful boat! I also had the good fortune of having Mike come out to instruct at Oceans ‘19 a couple of weeks ago. He’s a fun instructor, and I did my L4 along with him a few years ago. He had a Karla, Sisu, and Prana LV to demo. I had the opportunity to paddle each a few different days. At 6’ around 200 lbs the LV, in all of them, fits me very well. Plenty of extra adjustment for longer legs given my 32" inseam. The thing about fit in kayaks is that fit is all about the width of your hips, and the thickness off your thighs and butt. I would consider myself a fairly slender build for my size. All to say, height and weight is very minimal information in determining fit. PaddleDog52, these boats have a different fit than the Caribou, with more room under the deck for an aggressive forward paddling position. This is something I love about these kayaks.
You can feel some speed difference between the Karla and Sisu, but the difference between those 2 is not as notable as jumping in the Prana. I instantly noted a more free and faster cadence. The interesting thing about my Sisu LV is that although the effort ramps up more quickly than it does in the Prana, it isn’t a well-defined wall. It allows you to work up to a pretty fast cadence and maintain it for distances. But to go from that to the Prana LV, in the Prana my cadence could get much quicker while still in the low effort zone.
My first time in the Prana, I was easily making 180 degree turns with a bow rudder. Simply amazingly nimble for a kayak that is that quick. In the surf, the bow would bury quicker in the Prana, but it always resurfaced for me rather than quickly spinning me into a broach. Very nice control on waves. In the Sisu and Karla, on waves, the maneuverability is even better, and so far, I’m always surprised by how steep I can get on the wave without burying the bow. I had a blast in the standard Karla, but would prefer the LV version for myself I believe. I’m kind of sized where I can probably get the most out of either.
It was definitely a love affair with the whole collection. Given I already have the Sisu LV, the Prana LV would be my pick right now to compliment it. I felt there were bigger differences in feel between the Prana and Sisu than the Karla and Sisu during my limited use. But many who took the Karla out really enjoyed it, myself included. Seems like a rough water machine.
That speed/maneuverability/stability spectrum, where everyone is always hoping to improve all 3? The Prana really shines here. For what most people do in sea kayaks most of the time, this is a sweet ride. And it’s still fun and capable in the rough. If you want to dial up the rough with smooth control, go to the Sisu and Karla.
Under my weight, they all seemed pretty neutral in terms of weathercocking. I never felt like I was fighting anything in that department.
Due to the cockpit configuration, some are surprised by the amount of room under the deck, versus the other way around. The back decks are low. They all rolled easily for me. I did scramble recoveries in all of them. Plenty of room for me for butt first entry followed by bringing my legs I without scaping my shins.
I just wanted to share my experience for folks who may be interested.

@PaddleDog52 said:
That’s the problem with kayaks not many places stock them anymore. They don’t even have rentals to demo. Places on Long Island seem to have sold off all sea kayaks they used as demo’s or rentals. They said people just don’t rent them like they used. They manly rent rec kayaks.

River Connection is only thing even remotely near me that has anything. That’s a 3 hour drive each way for me.

I could be talked into doing a LI paddle bringing along a few extra kayaks to play with. I could even bring along a Green Jacket for you to try on. Looking for excuses to play hooky more after the L2L race.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

@PaddleDog52 said:

I could be talked into doing a LI paddle bringing along a few extra kayaks to play with. I could even bring along a Green Jacket for you to try on. Looking for excuses to play hooky more after the L2L race.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Paddling the Prana can ruin you for most other sea kayaks. How long can it be before CD trims their stable even more?

1 Like

@CapeFear
So glad you got to try the Prana LV in the conditions you paddle. Mike coached a class I took this summer. Super coach. He gave me a set of CD hip pads for my Prana LV as it came with none. SO much better fit than the foam I had added, Since my post last November I have buried the bow a few times but it just keeps going where I ask it to. A much drier ride than when my Fathom’s bow goes under. It is a sweet ride and a boat that lets me push my envelope a bit yet maintain stability.

@magooch
Interesting question. CD’s Danish designs were very well represented at a summer symposium I attended.