Current Designs Storm Hatch

Hey All, Just getting back into kayaking after taking a few years off. I just got a used older model CD Storm, it is missing the front hatch cover, this is the older model that has the 2 piece hatch with a neoprene cover and a hard plastic one that goes over it. I have found a replacement for the neoprene online, but I’m not having much luck with the plastic cover. Anyone out there have any experience with this hatch and maybe know where to get one? I figure worst case I’ll just get an oversize rubber hatch to cover the neoprene, but would be nice to get a proper plastic one.

1 Like

Topkayaker.com or Current Designs.

3 Likes

I just bought an old Storm. Could I ask where you found the neoprene hatch covers?

They have both front and rear neoprene covers. Note the Squall uses the same size covers.

Sadly I’ve had no luck finding a replacement front plastic cover.

2 Likes

Just realized who you were…these look familiar?

Neoprene hatch covers are still used on a few boats and on a lot of older boats like Necky, so they are usually available. The hard protective covers, not so much. As they must match not only the length and width, they must also match the deck and hatch curvature, so they are usually specific to each boat.

As the neoprene is what keeps the water out, the protective cover is generally not critical, but it does protect the neoprene from sun exposure and the small chance that a dumping wave might implode it. Then there is the aesthetic issue.

3 Likes

My old boats! Hope they are serving you well. I miss paddling in the ocean, but lots of rivers to explore here in central Georgia.

2 Likes

They are, don’t go out a lot. QCC needs skeg done again. I started to read a book I had and there was a slip of paper with your name & address on it all these years later and put it together this morning on this post… :grin: Hope you are well.

1 Like

Does anyone here know if the old Solstice ST also used a neoprene cover? Looking at you, PaddleDog52!

My ‘97 has the rear hard cover, with the squared corners, but no separate neoprene. It does have some sort of gasket around the inside of the cover. I don’t see them available for sale, but maybe a) it never had one, or b) used the same one as the Storm?, or c) the boat is so old it just isn’t available anymore.

If I do need one, but it isn’t made anymore, can I just buy a sheet of neoprene someplace and cut it to size? Or is it actually fitted around the opening?

1 Like

no neoprene required. You can still buy a new hatch and or gasket if required. Call CD parts Dept. same hatch set up on Libra XT tandem they just stopped making.

2 Likes

Thank you! I knew you’d know!

2 Likes

Thank you!