Currituck vs Tempest 170 vs Chatham 16 vs?

Better phrased as “Can go where there is trouble, and the kayak will get me out of it”. Would never have taken any of my other kayaks out during a nor’easter or tropical storm; have done both w. the Tempest.

Doggy_Paddler, was in the 190 → 205 lb range, first couple of years that I used the Tempest 165 Pro.

1 Like

Gotta love a kayak that will get you home. My first sea kayak was a CD Squall, as I progressed less the boat for me than when I started. But not because the boat was anything less than one of the best get-you-home boats that was ever put in the water. It was.
She just was also a stiff boat that became less what I preferred. Went to a good home.

3 Likes

Mid-sized, like around 165-170, do you think @steevey? Unfortunately the place that I thought had a Currituck to try today didn’t pan out, so I’m back to looking at an 8 hr round trip to try one.if it’s still an option

@Celia There’s a Squall near me that I was looking at. What did you like about it and decide to move on from with yours?

The Squall is a rock star at handling slop and getting you home. Also tremendous capacity for gear camping.

It is also a stiff boat, l eventually wanted something with more easy maneuverability. Note that l generally did not want to use the rudder.

Final thing which l only realized when l got on the water w the Brit boat, it had a point that you had to get by when coming up in a roll that was a fairly noticeable resistance point.

I also eventually wanted a skegged, not a ruddered boat. I would put the rudder down and invariably pull it back up again, so it was not getting use. And the issues of having to wrap it and the wires for pool sessions, just a bunch of hassles that were a bit much for something l never used anyway.

I had the Smart Trac system put in before it left the dealer. Already knew l did not want to spend my time dealing w squishy foot pegs.

I would recommend the Squall in a heartbeat for someone who was about camping and touring. If you want to focus on wet work or surf, a more maneuverable skegged boat likely a better chouce.

1 Like

The Currituck is designed so that it would be good to handle the weights of a 170 lb paddler. A test paddle is highly recommended, not just for how it paddles’ but also for fit. Note: It usually takes me approx. a year of paddling a '"new to me boat " before I know how it paddles with me in it. Within a year, I will have encountered most weather/sea conditions to have a good idea of how a specific kayak behaves.

1 Like

Thanks for that rundown @Celia that really helps me make my decision! That’s exactly what I wondered about, and it sounds like it’s not the boat for me right now.

Thanks @steevey! Unfortunately the only Curritucks near me are used, so a test sit may be the best I can do, but that may be what I need to live with and just pass it along if it’s not working for me.

Does anyone know if the Formula/Impex Force series is now what’s called the Montauk (Force 3), Currituck (Force 2), and Assateague (Force 1), or are they completely different boats?

The Force Series were a different line of boats. I don’t believe the Manufacturer, Abitibi would rename them with different existing models. Go to their website for more info.

1 Like

They are different. The Force series is meant for faster touring and the Mystic/ Montauk/ Currituck are more all-purpose and I think have more rocker.

1 Like

Perfect! That’s what I was thinking, but I was having a hard time parsing it out. Thanks! Definitely looking for Currituck then!

I guess you’re not near Frontenac Outfitters? They sell all the Impex boats and would be a good place to try them out — or so I imagine, having never been there. In any case they have videos in their website where they discuss each model, worth checking out.

Scroll down for the video.

I think you should call Marshall at the The River Connection, he handles Impex. I agree with Steevy, the boats that you are listing as the same are not. At all. I also paddled the Mystic sometime way back.

Paddled the Force 3 in the first couple of years it came out. That is your boat. Force 4 was a bigger person’s version of an otherwise similar hull.

If you can get to Hyde Park, you should also see what he has in the way of used boats. He had a plastic one yesterday, an older sea kayak design, but it was in fantastic condition because it had been living in a garage. Money is right, a couple hundred, and it serves a good cause.

1 Like

Currituck likely too big for you.

How far away from Albany NY are you?

I would worry OP’s feet would be too big for the Force 3.

I was there on Friday!! I’d made an appointment to paddle the Currituck, but the employee I spoke to was not familiar with their stock. It turned out that they didn’t have any in stock (and haven’t for 2 yrs).
I did sit in a Zegul Revel LV and an MV. The LV was too small and the MV was just right, in terms of cockpit size.

That’s my concern too. And maybe legs too. I may try sitting in one tomorrow though.

I definitely want sure about that. It was implied by a local used seller, but it didn’t seem right to me. Glad to have that confirmed!

Albany is a good days’ drive away, plus border issues. But I may consider it. Is that were The River Connection is?

Further south a bit, Hyde Park. I lost track of where you are

1 Like