Currituck vs Tempest 170 vs Chatham 16 vs?

Too bad! The website says they have a used red one in stock… I guess everyone is low on kayaks. Hopefully a good used possibility will come along.

1 Like

@Celia, I’m in central Ontario, Peterborough. Looks like a 7-8 hr drive :slight_smile: I’m going to try sitting in a 15 yr old Force 3 tmrw, and then consider taking a 4hr trip to see a Currituck in-Province. In the meantime, I’ll use my Sirocco.

I was against a similar choice between a used Tempest 170 and Currituck 17’. I bought both, but can tell you, personally, that the Currituck is a very comfortable boat (the Tempest is too narrow for me (but I’m a female)), and I have legs that “turn out”, so didn’t fit well it the Tempest. The Currituck I’ve taken out a few times this season, and it’s effortless (the exact word that came to mind). I absolutely love it, and know that it will be my “go to” boat for awhile.

The foot pedal work around mentioned seems interesting, and might help you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

1 Like

Thanks for this direct comparison @Janette! I’m also a woman, and my hips are just right inside the Tempest 165, but too wide for the Chatham 16 I sat in on Friday. So the Chatham16 is off my list now.

That’s great to know about the comfort of the Currituck for you! Do you know the height of the deck on the Currituck? I’ve seen something described as the “midship” and the “height” as 13", and I think that’s what that means? I think this will be a very relevant measurement for my long legs and feet :slight_smile:

I spoke to the owner while at Frontenac Outfitters and he said that while the Tempest 170 cockpit would likely be a better fit, the kayak itself would probably sit a bit high due to my weight being on the low end for that boat (165-170) and as a result it’d feel a lot like my Sirocco, so I wouldn’t really be getting what I’m looking for. So between that and your comparison, I think I’ll cross the Tempest 170 off my list!

It just occurred to me: I’ve seen others talk about taking out seats or dropping them lower in their boats to adjust their fit to their body. Could I do that in the Tempest 165 to get the coaming up higher on my hips and give me a bit more leg-bending room?
How does lowering the seat generally affect kayaks? Would it greatly alter the handling? I know it’s common to move the seat back in this boat and that it’s been confirmed that it won’t affect handing in this model.

Lowering the seat will always add to a boat’s initial stability, though how much of a diff it makes varies depending on the details of the boat’s hull and the amount of change in seat height. May be barely noticeable in some boats.

Mostly what it can do is change the comfort level for the paddler and/or, as you note, add a little vertical space for the legs under the braces. The old NDK Romany and Explorer seats were notorious for being the world’s most unergonomic, and uncomfortable for many, seats to be found in otherwise admirably seaworthy kayaks. As a result you would see a lot of them with replacement. A two part foam seat with a seat pan glued directly to the hull and a block on the rear bulkhead. Redfish used to make blanks that could be further shaped, someone out there probably still does.

If a paddler is already too deep in the boat to have good paddle contact in the water lowering the seat is of course not a great idea. But that hardly seems to be the situation for you in the Tempest 165.

1 Like

Nick Schade at Guillemot Kayak offers a nice foam seat with initial carving already done. Easy enough to shape as desired: https://guillemot-kayaks.com/foam-kayak-seat

Have you contacted Suntrail in Hepworth to see what kayaks they carry and have in stock? 519-935-2478.

The people at Frontenac Outfitters seemed to be very knowledgeable and had a good selection of kayaks in stock when I was there last fall.

Thank you for all of this info. And yes, it’s exactly what I need it seems. Though it occurred to me after I posted this question last night that though it might help with my legs, it won’t help with extra foot room. Perhaps I’ll try taking the seat out and just putting in a temporary piece of foam to see what it feels like before actually altering the seat.

Thank you!! This is a great piece of knowledge!!

Thanks for that additional outfitter! I haven’t heard of them!
I was at Frontenac on Friday, and unfortunately only had Zegul and Deltas in stock in terms of performance sea kayaks. Along with many others, they are struggling with stock due to the pandemic.
However, they did advise me that the Tempest 170 is likely too large for me in terms of weight, so I’ve managed to strike it and the Chatham 16 (cockpit is too small when I sat in it on Friday as well).
I’m continuing my search, and will call the Hepworth place later today!

Did you get a chance to try an Arrow Play? It seems like that would have pretty good potential for you.

1 Like

What are you wearing on your feet? {Foot room} I can’t wear paddling shoes in any of my kayaks.

1 Like

mogetron - Are you using the original hip pads in the Tempest 165? I think they are the same as in my 170, and I found their thick, contoured shape was just to much. I could squeeze down into the cockpit but they pressed on my man-hips in a way that became painful after a while. I removed the original pads (they are just held in with Velcro and two redundant straps) and rigged up some pads that are thinner.

1 Like

Most seats might not come out to easy.

1 Like

@CapeFear thanks for that idea! Unfortunately I did not. I was about 3 hours later in my day than I expected, and the boats were rather buried and took awhile to get out, so I didn’t take the time at that point. Also, I’m in the used market and haven’t seen many Zeguls come up (and no Arrow Plays) over the last few years, so perhaps down the line I’ll take a closer look if I’m in a position to buy new.

Typically Keen paddling sandals (very flexible bottom) or neoprene booties. The trouble is, I am a year-round paddler except for a month or 2 when the ice is too thick on the shores of L. Ontario to safely get to the water. I cannot opt to go barefoot!

Nope! I find the fit snug enough without them. My primary trouble is the coaming at the seat on the Tempest 165 sits below my hips, so I can’t easily get my thighs under the coaming, nevermind the thigh braces.

Yes @PaddleDog52, and when I looked more closely today the seat pan is only 1/2"-1" off of the hull anyway,so I doubt it’d be very helpful.

1 Like

The Tempest 165 has a few options you can try. One simply removing the seat cushion, will buy you some space. Removing the thigh support, will also give you more room. Moving the seat back, is also another option.

Removing the seat pad or thigh support, is not hard. Also easily replaceable, as well. Black plastic xmas trees hold both in place.

1 Like