Currituck vs Tempest 170 vs Chatham 16 vs?

Thank you @Medawgone! I have moved the seat back about 1", and without majorly cutting up the seat, that’s a far as I can go. the seat is only held one with 4 screws, so I may just try taking it out and sitting on the hull later this week to see if that gives me sufficient space, and then take things from there.
However, given the foot space issue combined with the thighs not fitting under the coaming (not just the thigh braces) I’m looking at alternatives.

1 Like

I am talking about the thigh lifter/support, on the front of the seat. It is removable and would allow your legs relax more. It is just some webbing and plastic trees holding it on.

Ah!! Yes, I’m familiar with it. I’ve tried it totally flat and cranked as high as I can get it and everything in between. I’m afraid I can’t get it to work for me. I really appreciate your ideas though!!
I’ve seen others say they have 6’ to 6’3" friends paddling this boat as I now have it set up with the seat moved back 1", but because I carry a lot of my height below the waist, it’s just not working for me.

one inch is quite a lot. Take the seat out and try it. You can always put it back in if you decide.

As far as feet fitting, if they don’t fit with neo socks…then they don’t fit. I wear size 12 or 13 mens and can fit in most kayaks with neo socks. I can’t fit wearing Keens. I paddle Lake Superior so need some foot covering to.

I wear Croc’s over my neo socks when on shore. when I get into a kayak, I put the croc’s under my thighs for thigh support.

1 Like

I’ve never paddled a Delta kayak but I have seen a few of them this year and am quite impressed with the design of the boats and the people that have them seem to like them. The price new seems attractive and the they are very lightweight. We were considering the Delta 15S for my wife before finding a used CD GTS.

This is a brilliant idea!! Thank you!

Yes, I know there’s a large Delta following around here. My concern is that I’ve read few places that thermoform can be a bit prone to cracking on low temperatures. I could be wrong about that though.

1/2" makes a difference. You feel it in stability and roominess. Current Designs hulls are 3/4" higher if they are HV.

1 Like

According to several different plastic-specific websites, ABS plastic, which is the main material Delta kayaks are made from, has a temperature use range down to -20 degC. Other literature talks about ABS becoming brittle at temperatures of -27 degC

1 Like

Wow!!! I didn’t realize that the differences were so small! Thanks!

1 Like

Moving seats down and back make a huge difference when trying to exit or enter and even a 1/2" is huge. CD makes two seats regular 16" width and wide base which is 17". Big difference for me. Even if the combing is 16" wide the combing legs below deck widens out for your hips. You can cut the combing legs off and move them outward for more room. All but two CD hulls out of the 7 I have came with regular 16". Leaves tight pinch and no room to rotate hips. Libra XT tandem and Solstice Titan come with wide base seats standard.

1 Like

I have 1995 CD Solstice GTHV and if you put my boat next to the same vintage GT, you can see where the HV has a 3/4" step on the rear deck near the rudder.

Mine has the 16" seat, which fits me quite well, the 17" would be too wide. Sitting in the boat, it fits like a glove, whereas in a friend’s Titan I’m swimming in it.

I have paddled my wife’s GTS and it is a wonderful boat to paddle, so maneuverable and easy to edge. But I couldn’t do any long distance paddles in it, its just too tight of a fit.

2 Likes

This is exactly the trouble I’m having. I’ve paddled it at least 10-15 times and every time (except on a small surf session) I’ve struggled for at least half of the paddle to get my leg positioned so it’s not dead, and then some other part of me is decidedly uncomfortable.

I’ve finally listed the Tempest 165 for sale today. I can’t get the seat out (after much twisting and swearing :slight_smile:

After much consideration and trying on boats and trying to try on boats (the Currituck in particular) and trying to get the seat out of my Tempest 165, I finally called @Marshall at The River Connection, who REALLY knows about older Impex & Formula boats (thanks @Celia for the idea to get down there, and huge thanks to @Marshall for the advice!)

Though I may underweight the Currituck a bit, he says it’ll be a better fit than my Sirocco and I’ll actually physically fit into it!! I would probably do better in a Montauk, which I’ll be watching the used ads for, along with a P&H Scorpio MV :smiley:

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and advice!! I truely appreciate it! I’ll report back once I’ve paddled the Currituck for a bit!

3 Likes

I paddle a Montauk. Don’t know your foot size but I would say if your feet are large it might be a tight fit down there, depending on how you hold them. Mine are euro 40 and not a ton of extra room. Maybe more when I foam it out (still using the foot pegs but I intend to put foam instead… some day.) I like the boat, though I haven’t paddled so many.

1 Like

Ooo thanks, yes, that was also Marshall’s concern. My feet are euro 44, so it might be a bit tight. Well, I’m hoping that once I have a boat that fits me decently well, I’ll be able to simply try out boats as they come up and see what I like and don’t at a leisurely pace :smile:

I had a Montauk and liked it as “all-around” boat for a smaller paddler. It’s got enough rocker to be somewhat playful and enough storage for a weekend or more camping trip.

I wear an Euro size 39-40. Agree that it might be a very tight fit, if at all, for anything bigger than say 41-42.

sing

1 Like

If you have a boat that you like, except your feet are a bit tight, one option to consider is (assuming it has foot pegs) switching to a bulkhead footrest. You can set it up with a slanted rest, so that not only can you move your feet to a more centered position, and more varied positions, but the angled position of your feet will also lower your toes a tad, potentially.

1 Like

Or toe removal :joy:

1 Like

Thanks @sing ! That’s great info. What you’re describing is exactly what I want in a boat. Hopefully the Currituck fits me well enough so I don’t have to squeeze my feet into something uncomfortably small, which sounds like the Montauk would be for me.