Custom made paddles

I am haveing two paddles made with an experimental blade shapes made for my sea kayak. Has anyone ever had any experance with this? If so, I would like to here the good, the bad,and the ugly! I will fallow up next weekend, after I have tryed these paddles for those of you who are looking for some feed back.

???
george - could you be a bit more specific re-shape, etc - i’d love to find a “toksook” style blade at about 20oz

What Exactly
is it that makes the Tooksook so attractive to you: 90 degree offset, symetrical somewhat airfoil shape, toughness, etc. It would be pretty hard to decrease the weight to 20 oz, unless you loose the thickness. Of course, loosing the metal ends would reduce weight.

I actually think it would not be hard to make one with cedar. But no way is it going to get to 20 oz.

sing

The blade shape is symetrical
5" to 5.5" wide about 17" long cuped shaped, a small “c” shaped turned back on the end. I was very impreased when I planted the paddle in the water that how much force I could put on the paddle and have it stay put as I moved past, it was very stablbe. it comes out of the water clean at the end of each stroke. I only had about ten mins with the paddle in the water. The handle shape is elongated to fit my hand, and I can set the fether angle to what ever I would like. The paddle weight going to come in at around 34 to 40oz.

not sure

– Last Updated: Jun-28-04 5:51 AM EST –

sing - i suspect that it has to do with it's symetrical shape ala a greenland style - i find it totally forgiving, whereas as excellent as my 18oz onno is, there are times when i can't seem to get into a good rhythm with it - it may have to do with it's slightly cupped face, and i'm carrying it too far aft - i just find that the toksook works all the time - it just wears me out a lot faster, although i covered a good bit of both the inner and outer plymouth harbor area last wed, and forced myself into a less agressive pace, which helped a good bit - i'm going to do the same this week with the onno and see if that helps, because the lighter weight is a dream to use

Want light AND symmetrical?
Get a Superior Kayaks Carbon Greenland Paddle. (@ 24oz).

You’ll have no trouble keeping rhythm at any cadence, or stroke angle.

It’s no battle axe like the Toksook, but tough enough for all but extremely harsh use.

A heavier wood GP is still near zero weigh during the stroke due to the excellent buoyancy. The carbon even more so - and has slightly positive buoyancy through the stroke. It literally jumps out of water at the release. As close to effortless as a paddle can get. As someone else said: “Like a piece of black air.”

I took the advice of Wayne H
from USK about paddles and I use a two paddle approach.

When it is going to be very windy or rough, I use the Toksook and my lighter weight Euro paddle or GP is on the deck as a spare.

When conditions are calm and I just want to put on the miles with the least amount of effort, the Toksook is the spare and I use either my GP or a Werner Kauai.

Different Catch, I Suspect…
the spoon (curve) paddle tends to catch earlier in the stroke whereas the straight paddle shapes tend to catch a little more behind the initial entry. You’re feeling perhaps that difference in the power phase and rhythm of the stroke. This all may be just a matter of getting use to each paddle and then your body will begin to integrate and not be confused. Jumping back and forth from my GP in touring boats and big spoon face white water paddles, I experienced some intitial disorientation about the stroke rhythm. But after awhile the adjustment is ingrained and made pretty quickly.

It may be possible to have a custom Toksook paddle made in wood that will be lighter than your 40 oz or so DH version. Don Beale (who goes by “airwave” here) makes custom Greenland style paddles that are hollowed. If he applies the same technique to the Toksook, he may be able to shave some oz off but I doubt it would in the sub 20 oz range, probably between upper 20 to lower 30 oz range.

sing