Cut out/replace OEM "hatch"

Just going to leave well-enough alone…

– Last Updated: Oct-30-14 10:30 AM EST –

Thanks for all the replies and advice, everyone. With everyone's input and thinking about this more, I'm just going to leave the rear hatch alone. The question that GBG and Pirate brought up with regards to hull integrity if I cut out the hatch has given me the proverbial "heebie jeebies!" I don't want to do anything that will possibly affect the boat's safety or hull integrity. At this point, I think the most I may try to do is MacGyver a gasket of some type on the rim of the hatch lid and the lip of the hatch itself. Probably still won't be waterPROOF, but hopefully better than its current configuration.

As for storage in the rest of the boat, I'll get some dry bags to stuff in front of my feet in the bow for anything I want to keep dry but don't need immediate access to while paddling. I mean, it's not like I'm doing any sort of expedition kayaking or kayak camping with this thing. So, there's no huge need for tons of storage space. As much as I may have dreams, aspirations, and delusions of grandeur about multi-day camping trips on the water, the actual likelihood of that happening is slim to none. My family lifestyle just doesn't afford long stretches of "away" time right now. Such "getting back to nature" trips will need to wait until my kids are grown, I am retired, or my wife has finally come to her senses and divorced me because of my OHD ("Obsessive Hobby Disorder" - yes, it's made up!).

I'm thinking about giving one of those splash deck mini-skirts a try. It would still provide a bit of protection from paddle splashes and the wind, but would allow access into the cockpit. So, I could reach things I store in the cockpit (i.e. coffee mug, VERY important!). Plus, since the mini-skirt isn't actually attached to me, I could easily lean forward/backward and turn around in my seat without worry of the skirt popping off. So, I'd be able to use my deck bag again and reach it without having to reattach the spray skirt every time I went digging for a Cliff Bar!

mini-skirt
I got a Harmony half/mini-skirt two summers ago and really like it, especially for hot days on moderate waters, so I highly recommend one. It functions just as you describe, keeping your lap dry from paddle drip. It has a stiff plastic stay that “tents” it so water runs off towards the deck and the large pocket is really handy, even fits a water bottle.

Splash deck/mini-skirt
Thanks for the testimonial, willowleaf. I ordered a Seals recreational mini-skirt on Amazon. Should be delivered sometime tomorrow. Seals doesn’t even have my kayak in their fit guide. So, I had to search for another boat with a similar cockpit that was actually in the guide to know which size to get (used the dimensions for a Perception Prodigy 10/12). Turns out I didn’t need to be so fussy about picking the right size. There are only two universal sizes to choose from, regular and X. The X is a one size fits all for the bigger cockpits. I’m hoping this works out well and lets me reclaim some of the usable storage space in my boat to which the spray skirt blocked access.

In case it needs adjustment -
Seals is one of those wonderful smaller companies that still exist in the paddling world. If you need it adjusted, probably not but in case, just call them. They are likely to find a way to be helpful.

If it’s this Seals half skirt

– Last Updated: Oct-30-14 4:25 PM EST –

http://tinyurl.com/lxsr6nh

it nicely fit the 46.5" x 19.5" cockpit on my Necky Rip 10. Also did a nice job keeping splash out of the cockpit.

The large mesh storage pocket was handy.

Yep, that’s it
That’s the Seals half-skirt I ordered. I’m really hoping it fits. My Pelican Trailblazer 100’s cockpit dimensions are 51.25" x 23.5". The length of the half-skirt should be fine. It’s just the width I worry about. I have the NRS Catalina spray skirt for my boat, which was advertised as fitting cockpits up to 57" x 22". The length of the Catalina skirt is perfect. However, I can juuuuuuuust barely stretch the sides over the coaming. Any moving around in the cockpit with the skirt on has a tendency to pull the sides up. I was able to MacGyver some Velcro stays to help hold the sides of the skirt in place. The Velcro works great, and I know longer worry about moving around the cockpit a bit and popping off the sides of the skirt.

I keep searching for rec kayaks with really large cockpits that are in the Seals fit guide. As long as I find one with the same or bigger dimensions, and the half-skirt is listed in the fit guide as fitting said kayak, then I’m fine. The Seals guide shows the half-skirt will fit the WS Pungo 120/140 kayaks, which have cockpits that are 57"x 22". So, once again, the length is fine, but I may have to fiddle with the width a bit. Or maybe I won’t, since it’s only a half skirt. I won’t have to worry about it being attached to my waist and tugging on the sides whenever I move. I’m hopeful it will work just fine out of the box, but should be able to make it work if need be.

My half skirt from Field and Stream
Which I bought at Dick’s is a piece of bungee cord tied at the rear. To adjust the fit, untie and retie the knot. Splice in another bungee cord to supersize it.

If you have a problem with the skirt popping off the whitewater guys talk about putting a bicycle innertube on the coaming first which provides more friction for the skirt to grab.

Should fit
I put my Seals half-skirt flat on the floor and measured it. It’s 26" at the widest part. There are two plastic stays, each with a strap under it so you can adjust the tension of each stay to control the slope of the skirt.

With the straps fully extended, the stays and skirt might remain flat given the width of your cockpit. Maybe. If so, depending on the size of the dry bag you’re carrying, its placement may raise the skirt just enough to displace any splash.

With such a large cockpit, it’s going to be very easy for you to install the half-skirt while you’re sitting inside. The opening is large enough there will be no interference with your body or paddling movements.

The half-skirt was very efficient in keeping water out of the cockpit.

Awesome!
Thanks, Rookie! I appreciate the help and info.

Tried using the splash deck…

– Last Updated: Nov-03-14 5:26 PM EST –

I received the splash deck on Friday and tried using it on my Sunday morning paddle yesterday. While it is long enough for my cockpit, I am having the same problem as my spray skirt where it is about an inch too narrow on the sides. The sides kept popping off while I was trying to put it on my kayak for the first time yesterday morning. Also, the splash deck is completely made of nylon. So, the material is a little slick to begin with. That didn't help. On my NRS Catalina spray skirt, the material where the bungee cord is that attaches to the coaming is made of neoprene while the rest of the spray skirt is nylon. So, the spray skirt has quite a bit more grippiness in that area compared to the splash deck.

Anyway, I couldn't get the splash deck to stay on. So, I had to toss it into the back of my van and paddle with a wide-open cockpit. I got splashed quite a bit, unfortunately. I wish I had brought my spray skirt along just in case.

I'm going to have to add some Velcro stays to the splash deck just as I did with the spray skirt. I hope that will work everything out.

Re: Trailblazer rear hatch waterproof co
I just got off the phone with Customer Service Pelican

1-888-669-6960. I have a used Trailblazer 100 recreational kayak. I called for the same reason. I have a well in the back, bungees & no cover.There are accessory upgrades for my model, I am not sure about the angler, but it would be worth a try. In order to keep price low, Dick’s didn’t opt for the cover/hatch.

For my model, there is a waterproof hinged hatch, sold with installation hardware. $40.46 with shipping.

Since the hatch is so small, I am going to invest in a really good dry bag secured with bungees.

Have the serial number ready, they won’t give info without it. Ask about all the accessories that are available for your kayak. There are many more upgrades for fishing.