Datona--Orman Beach FL

4 of us will be going down to FL the end of Feb. We were going to all take our kayaks however the place we are staying will not let you keep a trailer in the lot. With “Bike Week” coming up all the places to rent trailer space parking are full. So we will roof top 2 boats and the wifes will rent (their disesion).

I know you can rent at Tomoka state park just a mile or two from where we are staying But where else can you rent in the area. My wife likes rivers does not like to be on “Big Water”. Any help would be great.

Also Two of us would like to do the Silver River. I did this a few years ago but can not remember how to get to the Park where we put in. I know it was just over a bridge but it was not marked well and would like to get some directions. Can anyone help?

Any other ideas on places to paddle around there?

thanks

Dave

silver river
I don’t know where you put in last time. But the easiest put-in to reach is on route 40. Just head west on 40 from Ormond. After crossing the Ocklawaha River (big high bridge seemingly over nothing but trees; the river is down there) the turn into the park is on the left. That puts you in at the bottom of the run where you can paddle up the river and back.

That was it
Thanks for the information. Just needed a kick start for my memory.

Call Kayaks of Flagler Beach
Call Ann at 386-561-8509. She and her husband run Kayaks of Flager Beach. They used to rent out at Gamble Rogers State Park but some one said they’d moved beachside. Don’t really know since I haven’t rented from anyone in a while. They were reasonable and very friendly. Decent selection for a rental shop and gave us a map so I wouldn’t get my mom lost in the intracoastal. My mom is a lot like your paddling buddy and wants nothing to do with big open areas. I would not take her on the Halifax for that reason but the intracoastal is pretty pleasant and easy paddling, decent wildlife sightings, etc.

Also check out Sandypoint Kayaks down on Ridgewood. Nice shop though they’ve moved across the street for bigger store space so they aren’t right on the water anymore. (386) 756-7564

Have fun. My folks live in Ormond Beach and I’m always a little bit jealous!-Toddy

Have fun!
I’ve done business with these folks in the past. http://www.progressivesports.com/

Also, a visit to Canaveral National Seashore is the worth the short drive.

new place in Ormond
There is a new place on A1A in Ormond by the Sea that is doing kayak rentals. I’ve talked with the owner a few times as they are getting big into the waveski/surf kayaking market. Good group of people.

http://www.ormondbeachkayaks.com/