Day Hatches, Yes, No, Maybe?

How I use it
My day hatch always carries lights, foghorn when on big enough water, extra water bottle, a couple of pieces of fruit or snacks for longer paddles, emergency gear like a throw rope that I may want handy at some point but don’t need enough to have on my deck, VHF radio if things seem calm and unlikely to create near emergencies, an extra large hooded jacket that’ll go on over my PFD (Tropos waterproff material), Otter case with my cell phone in it.

I pull the lights out if it gets foggy or as it dark on later day paddles, the emergency stuff as conditions dictate, and eat the food. I’ve pulled out the jacket a few times for myself on the water if I started to feel chilly or the rian really came pouring down, and more often for others on group paddles.

Day hatches are also useful if you want to carry larger flares, which are too big to fit in a PFD pocket and (w/my low volume boats) don’t have a good dry storage option in the cockpit.

Nice, but not required.
Like several others I believe DH are nice, but not really a requirement. My last two boats have had day hatches, all the boats before did not. Part of that is due to my preference in boat designs changing, and partly due to the increased popularity of them. 90% of DH attributes are positive, 10% negative (specifically the reduced capacity of your rear compartment, especially in conjunction with a skeg box.) In my opinion, some manufacturers such as Valley, make their day hatches too large (i.e. they extend too far into the rear compartment,) I believe the best day hatches are only about 8" long. When shopping for new boats I certainly look for a DH, but I don’t have to have one. Not having a DH still would not stop me from buying an Arctic Hawk. I love 'em and use mine regularly, but I would still be happy without it.

Water Bottle
I know. It’s really old school, but I just can’t get used to the idea of the tube flopping around or being attached to me. I’ll come around eventually.

Brilliant!
This thread is fantastic!

I just bought a boat with a day hatch (VCP Avocet RM) and until reading this thread, never thought of turning it into a beer cooler!

Brilliant!

Bottoms Up !!

Size of day hatch
Good point above on size - any part of it you can’t reach to pull stuff out while on the water is space better used in the rear compartment. I had forgotten this - after I did the demo paddle of my Explorer LV I asked that they bring the rear bulkhead of the day hatch further up an inch for that reason. After sitting in the boat and reaching around, the rear far corner was just too far away for me to reach into. I was getting a few other custom things done anyway, so it seemed no big deal.

Have to admit though, I’ve never measured my boat v. others to confirm in the young guys at NDK got that as requested. The rest of what I wanted came in fine so I figured they had.

Packing like a true…
…lake paddler! You do practice your rolls and other rescues with all that on deck since it’s your regular load, right? It’s not a lot - and shouldn’t impede - just asking…

Sorry to sound critical. Not my place. I’m sure that setup works fine for you or you wouldn’t do it. I just differ on this and find it funny that people load up their decks with stuff when they have huge hatches and lot’s of cockpit space that can be used. Even just pump and float look out of place on deck to me. They are easy to stow - and are unlikely to be needed unless you come out of the boat anyway. When that happens, I want them securely stowed out of the weather and in easy reach from inside or alongside the cockpit.

Decks clean to the wind and wave! If you don’t do it, they will! L Even if not, I’d rather the water break over a clean surface and the wind have less to grab.

I like to think of Sea Kayaks as having 360 degrees of hull.

"Packing like a true lake paddler"
Just what the hell is that comment supposed to mean?

Holmes

Softshell cooler in dayhatch
I use a softshell cooler in the dayhatch for beer, just stuff the cooler inside empty, then add 3beers, a fakeice blue thingy, then 3more.

Still room for shades,goggles,hat,sunscreen,

then a 5L inflatable drybag with wallet,keys,cellphone,GPS.

Longer trips may require more sixpack coolers under the big ovals.

I have used the dayhatch once as a cooler, holds about 18cans plus ice, no insulation but I thought about cutting up some home wall insulation I have laying around.

But it is hard to roll that way…loose cans and

ice…harder as the day goes by ;o

I prefer the softshell coolers, I can secure them better,

Brilliant!

Same philosophy re: day hatches
I rarely access anything in it while on the water, but I consider it essential for organizing gear and keeping it in place. Unlike Pikabike, I won’t buy a boat that doesn’t have one or a place where I can install one. I also never carry pumps, paddle floats or any such gear on my deck. A spare paddle, chart, 3’ contact tow and perhaps a neoprene hood (all low profile items, all on the foredeck) are pretty much it.

I think you’re guessing rather high
I’ve installed day hatches and bulkheads and you’d really have to try hard to make it add 3-4 pounds. The parts aren’t that heavy and you also have to subtract the piece you cut out of the deck from the weight of the new components.

I suspect he means…

– Last Updated: Oct-05-05 8:30 PM EST –

..."flatwater paddler". While I agree with the sentiment about not putting so much stuff on the deck, he's wrong about Pikabike being a "lake paddler". With all due respect, her boat does sound a bit like "yard sale" waiting for a place to happen.

Comment was on the packing, not…
… the paddler.

A full read of the post (before the knee jerk reaction to the “lake” line) reveals that I’m sure what she does works fine for her. I tried to make it clear I was not criticizing, just differing in opinion on the garbage barge approach to gear.

Geez you freshies are touchy!

Don’t wear it, and tuck the tube.
Problems solved!

Knees not involved
and I read the post several times before responding.

The leading sentence sets the tone of the comment and it certainly specified ‘paddler’.

If that was not your intent then I’ve misconstrued your post and I apologise for the same.

I do not consider myself overly sensitive and such sensitivity probably would have little to do with the chemical makeup of the waters I paddle. I simply grow tired of the often used sweeping generalisations found here in terms of salt/fresh, long/short, narrow/wide, etc.

It’s all too easy to view the world in a rather isolated manner. We’re familiar with where we paddle and how we do it and this tends to reflect in our comments to others without real knowledge as to the conditions they may call reality. Pashimeroi is a classic example of such generalisations. Whatever works for him simply MUST be the best way for everyone else, regardless of inherent variables. An extreme case, to be sure.

And, its entirely possible that I lack the temperament necessary to interact well on a public forum!

Holmes

Loved my dayhatch
in my old Vizcaya now my QCC doesn’t have one and I thought I wouldn’t miss it, but I do.

Did not use it to access anything while on water as I had an underdeck bag. But for camping it was great to organize and keep heavier items centered. Great for lunch items and cooking gear which is the last thing to pack when leaving camp.

Here’s a thought…
What would Coffee do?

Augustus Dogmatycus

MMV

Temperament has little to do…
…with whether someone straps furniture on deck or not - OR - maybe it does! L

Whatever. This ain’t a Pahs rant and I’m certainly not saying ANYONE should do ANYTHING the way I do (or even would do) or even suggesting they change what they do based on my comments. I just HATE deck clutter and see little logic for it. Shows no respect for the Sea, and will be punished eventually! L Could be the 8 years in USN affecting my kayaking. Seen what the sea can do. Easiest to just keep things below deck and secured. Nothing to wash overboard, and no missile hazards inside.

BTW - The post was barely worth reading once, so yeah (at several times), I’d say you’re a mite touchy. L

Don’t get me wrong on the lake comment either. I’m no regular gale force condition paddler, but the idea of challenging the massive waves on Colorado’s largest inland lake (that’s smaller than Biscayne Bay) does intrigue me, as do the massive and mysterious waters of Wyoming where the mighty winds drove you from canoes to kayaks…

Continuing this discussion is of course like picking a scab. Better not to, and nothing to be gained by it, but you do it anyway just because it’s there!

So, was there some actual point to your posts? A for or against position about the junk on deck? That’s the real point - not whether your getting a warm and fuzzy from me about where and how you paddle (I don’t really care, and neither should you!).

3-4 pounds ?
while i’ve never weighed a boat with and without the dayhatch, i cannot imagine a weight added effect of greater than a pound, if that. the cut out “hole” makes up for the bulkhead so i figure that’s a break even or close. the hatch cover may weigh in at several ounces. in sum, the convenience far outweighs the negligible weight gain … at least for me.

besides, many of us could make up the weight gain by shedding a pound or two of ‘fat’.