Day Trip/Canoe Rental, Sarasota, FL

Any recommendations for a canoing day trip around Sarasota, Florida. I’m planning to be there in late August for training and wondering about scheduling in another day for paddling. Are there any outfitters located at a nice paddling venue? I’m OK with paddling a kayak as long as there isn’t anything technical involved.

Rivers, marshes, and other small inland waters are what I’d be interested in.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Try these people
Economy Tackle/Dolphin Dive & Kayak Center

941-922-9671

6018 S.Tamiami Trail, Sarasota FL 34242

www.floridakayak.com

kayaktoday@gmail.com

I didn’t rent from them but checked them out for future trips. Prices were great and boats looked good. People

seemed nice.

Inland Rivers
Has anyone had experience paddling the Peace or Little Manatee Rivers?

Yes
Those are both nice and have canoe outfitters on the river. The Peace is much larger and longer and is known for fossil finds.

The Alafia is a nice, perky run, which also used to have an outfitter.

Myakka River state park is a good place to paddle both lake and rivers with usually lots of gators, turkey vultures and other wildlife.

You can get a wilderness feel on all the above.

For a different kind of feel you can paddle right around Lido Key in Sarasota Bay, scoping out the ritzy homes, condos, hotels and yachts. Eat at the famous Columbia Restaurant on St. Armand’s Circle.

Scottie and Renee
Scottie and Renee at the corner of Midnight Pass and Stickney Point behind Cap’n Kirk’s.

They’ll rent you the boats or do a guided tour.

Really nice people.

Economy Tackle

– Last Updated: Jul-29-11 11:34 AM EST –

I rented from them for the past 10 years.

They have a great selection of boats for rent, boats have always been in good condition, and the rates are reasonable.

They are NOT located on the water to try out a boat.

Thanks
Lots of good options. It looks like I may be able to do an evening kayak paddle on the coast and also get in a day trip canoing on one of the rivers.

Scotty and Rene (and Frank) at
Siesta Key Bike and Kayaks are good. Frank also has Adventure Kayaks and is a very good guide(Lido, Midnight Pass, and Myakka River). Island Style Kayaks in Sarasota also is good for the Lido Key area. Economy Tackle in Sarasota does rentals as well and has excellent kayaks and prices.

I’m further south in Venice and run Easy Kayaking: Lessons and Tours, and do tours all over the state. Stop by if you get a chance.

The water is clear, warm and you’ll usually see lots of dolphins and manatees.

Nice Website
Thanks for the information. Really like the spirit of your website. Looks like you are truly giving customers added value. Your site, like several I’ve looked at, seem to advocate for an outdoor ethic. Good job.

Things are getting lined up. I’ve got a day trip planned on an inland river and hope to do one or two afternoon/evening paddles in the Siesta key area.

Florida looks like even more of a paddling paradise than I’d thought. Maybe the water is always bluer across the gulf…I grew up on the Texas coast near Corpus Christi.