Dazed and confused

I have been a canoe guy most of my life and have come to the point when I feel the need for a change. I have been doing research on different kayaks for months and its got to the point that Im more confused now than when I started. Im 55 yrs old, 5’10 225 lbs. and cant get enough fishing. My whitewater days are long gone due to back problems and age. Im looking for someone that can clear up my mind a bit about a boat that will fit my needs. I want a kayak that is a great fishing platform and a lake cruiser as well as slow rivers. I dont want a sit on top boat because of the weight. A sit inside that has a open cockpit for ease of entry with room to move a bit. And the idea of staying somewhat dry would be nice. If anyone can throw me some good ideas PLEASE HELP ME. I would like this to be a boat that will last me, Thanks.

Pungo 140.

Look at Native Watercraft
They have many options [kayak/canoe], with many in the fishing category. Also have different hull materials in regards to weight.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_12_tegris.cfm

Fish On

Take a look at Swift
Maybe an Adirondack 13.6 at 34-50lbs. or the new Kiwassa 12.6 at 30-44lbs. Add a rudder for hands free turning control while fishing.

Rec Boats
You are likely a good fit for a bunch of Rec Boats.

Old town has some large cockpit boats that would pass as sea kayaks and still do what you want. They may be heavy all the same.

You can do all the stuff you ask with a sea kayak but you will pay more and perhaps not be as pleased.

If fishing
will be its main use ask your question in the fishing message board.

They know what will handle and outfit best for fishing.

Swift Adirondack 13.6
This is the best “recreational” hull I’ve paddled. Very stable, great glide and speed, and a good fit for your size.

Joe Fallon

back problems
You say you have back problems, have you spent much time in any model of kayak? Most kayaks allow only one sitting position and it is essentially sitting on the bottom of the boat with your legs out in front of you. Many people I know with back problems find this uncomfortable after 4-5 hours.

There are many models of recreational kayak that make excellent fishing platforms. Perhaps you could rent a few different models to see if you can stand sitting in them all day long.

What canoes have you paddled
for the same purpose as you are looking for a kayak?

Have you been paddling a tandem a canoe or solo canoe for fishing?

If you’ve only paddled tandem canoes, than switching to a solo canoe may be enough change to satisfy your need for change. The reverse may also be true.

Pungo 120
or maybe a Featherlite 14.

And there are some SOTs that are lightweight for their size. The Cobra Expedition is 18 foot and about 50 lbs and you can find them used occasionally. Kaskazi sells some really nice lightweight SOTs (Marlin and Dorado) that are also made for fishing – not cheap, but nice by all accounts.

jim

How about…
Eddyline Equinox, should be more than adequate for your needs.

Dagger Approach 9 or 10
this would be a great boat for you. Check it out !

For lightness, back problems, space,
a couple of considerations come to mind, when you add fishing to the mix. Native Watercraft has a number of models that are “canoish” kayaks: very stable, removable decks, roomy and the seat positioning on some is higher off the floor. I really enjoyed test paddling one of their boats. Also, if you are open to building a lightweight boat (actually an enjoyable experience for many people), CLC has a couple of recreational kayak models that would meet these requirements. Their Wood Duck 12 would cover all the bases, and their Mill Creek series has a higher seat, which might be easier on your back.

I think 225 lbs. is too much for many
12’ kayaks.You won’t know that until you paddle them hard.

Kayaks can be as wet as canoes if
the kayak has a long cockpit and you’re using a high angle stroke. In that case, you’ll get lots of paddle drips in the boat if using a double bladed paddle, just as you would in a canoe if using high angle stroke and a double blade paddle.