DC Put in spots in Potomac

Hi

Can anyone recommend places with some parking that we can put in to paddle the Potomac around DC. Or tell me what’s wrong with these.

1-Fletcher’s Boat House or whatever its called these days. Is it still open for launching. Seems like a long paddle back into DC,

2- Ramp just north of National Airport. Might not be too crowded on a Friday.

3- Roosevelt Island. I’ve been told this is a good place but could never figure out where to put in.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks

Al

Home sick for DC
1-Fletcher’s Boat House or whatever its called these days. Is it still open for launching. Seems like a long paddle back into DC,

I believe it is still open.

2- Ramp just north of National Airport. Might not be too crowded on a Friday.

If you mean the on just SOUTH of NA then , yes.

3- Roosevelt Island. I’ve been told this is a good place but could never figure out where to put in.

You can get to it from the Parkway.

Anything else to consider?

I haven’t been in a while but try the parking lot just accross from the Watergate Hotel. It’s small and unknown.

Thanks

ramp north of National
That one works well too. It’s called Gravelly Point. Good sized parking lot and a paved ramp at the launch area.

DC launch sites
Hi,

Here’s my assessment of launch sites for DC.

1-Fletcher’s Boat House.

This is a nice launch site, but a little tricky to get to. It is a bit north of the Georgetown and Mall area, but certainly doable. Access is from northbound Canal Road.

2- Ramp just north of National Airport.

Gravelly Point boat ramp is okay but can fill up quickly on weekends. Lots of motorboat traffic. Expect ear-splitting noise from the jets taking off overhead. Access is from northbound GW Parkway.

3- Roosevelt Island.

This is a nice location along the river. Georgetown and the mall waterfront are close by. People do put in here, but not many. The problem is that there is no beach, only rip-rap. As long as you don’t mind carrying your boat down and launching from rip-rap (big rocks) this area works. Access is from northbound GW Parkway.

Another possibility is the marina on Columbia Island just north of the Pentagon (along GW Parkway). You can launch from the shore at the northern end of the marina. The shore is a bit steep but doable. Access is from GW Parkway.

If you need to rent a boat a great spot is Jack’s Boathouse underneath the north end of Key Bridge. Access is from Water Street below Georgetown.

Happy Paddling

Nelson