Dealing with impediments

I believe I “just about” jumped the same log. Lollygagged into it with no power. Almost high centered; bow started to spin. Hit hard forward sweep & then a strong power stroke & I was “outa there”.
Was in on river right, just above Pulltite?

That place was a mess…most of the group I was with pulled over upstream & lined their boats downstream on river left.

Repair work to the older repair on boat hull burn up some time.
That may be a good thing?
Keep you off the street; where you could get easily mislead.

BOB

Yes, Bob.

It was in that rapid just below what Terry calls “Pyramid Rock” on river right. It was actually quite easy to start down the right side of the rapid, then immediately go left to avoid it, so long as you knew it was there. Problem is, from the back of a tandem, your downstream view is sometimes a bit limited. By the time I saw the tree trunk in the water, I was not sure if I had time to get left of it, and did not want to risk broadsiding on it.

We cleared the log without difficulty but as the center of the boat went over, I heard a loud crack. A few days later, I ran the same rapid in a solo going right to left as described above and it was an easy move.

@pblanc said:
I have jumped over quite a few “speed bump” logs and have seen top whitewater boaters boof over and off obstacles that stuck out well above surface level. Probably OK in a Royalex or polyethylene boat. You might want to think twice about doing this in a composite hull.

I jumped a partially submerged tree trunk a week and a half ago in a tandem boat with my wife and two dogs in it on the Current River, MO and put a nice crack in the hull, which I had previously spent a good amount of time repairing. Now I have a new repair job.

I wouldn’t do that in a composite boat.

Wood 'N You Know It!

Dealing with impediments
oft enjoined me riparian sediments
wherewith precipitous my sentiments
returned surface to ask canoe hath whence.

And whilst I wished not be complainer
towards toil foiled with err in strainer
a sweeping thought tossed me in saner
from crazy thought paid boat retainer.

Rookie, I could see that from upstream on Sunday but didn’t go closer to take a look. We were getting out at the Rogers Road access point. The river is clear above there & I’d say that the outfitters have done a pretty good job. I’d guess that they don’t go below Rogers Rd. with their rentals. If you clear that log you should be able to get close to Webster Rd. before the current starts to really pick up. The onw downside to our trip was that they replaced the State Road bridge and we lost a fun play spot. It used to be two tubes with a bit of a drop at the end and some dynamic eddy lines to play in. Now it’s just a clear span concrete bridge with nothing going on. sigh.

We had a great 3 days (4 for me as I went up Wed night to get some things around on the property before the group came up). Two hikine the Jordan pathway on Sunday paddling. It didn’t start spitting rain until I was just about finished wrapping up at the barn.

The new bridge:

VS. the old Bridge:

Hey rival51! Missed you by a day - and a tree. Glad you got to enjoy the spectacular weather we had before it abruptly changed.

I’ve gone through the culverts on the old bridge (on a raft). The new one has made a lot of paddlers unhappy, no matter how much the DNR claims it benefits the river.

Good timing before the monsoons moved in. Heavy rain and cold winds Sunday through yesterday (six inches of rain here) and now its mixed with snow through next week. :confused:

Nice Howler.