Decide between Tsunami 160 and 165

I am an intermediate kayaker living in Maine looking for a boat I can take inter-island. I am 60 and curious if the 160 would be large enough for this. I like a rudder, and wider cockpit (my hips turn out), and the durability of the plastic is appealing. Any thoughts appreciated.

1 Like

The difference between the 160 and 165 will be more about fitting you. Both boats will hold plenty of gear for any reasonable length trips.

1 Like

Either of them will be well suited for your purposes. Aside from the extra half-foot of length between the two, the 165 will have maybe an inch more deck height and an extra 25 pounds more capacity than the 160.

I have the Tsunami 165 and I love it. I use it mostly off the coast here in New Hampshire and it has handled some decent size swells. I haven’t put it in any surf conditions though, but it isn’t really made for that. I have paddled it on flat and calm water as well on some lakes and rivers here. I find it to be a very stable kayak regardless of the water I paddle in. It can be prone to weather cocking, which the rudder helps with considerably. It is also easy to edge with really good secondary stability, making it easy to turn without the rudder.

It isn’t the fastest kayak out there, it isn’t the most maneuverable or playful kayak, but it will remain stable and will haul a lot of gear through whatever water you choose to paddle in. LL Bean also uses the Tsunami 165 for students in their sea kayaking classes at their Freeport Maine facility, if that says anything helpful.

If you get one and want to get a spray skirt (recommended for waves and edging), Seals size 1.7 fits the Tsunami.

1 Like

Thank you both for your information. I’m not looking for a fast kayak but more stability, safety and ability to carry . Sounds like the 160 is better choice since it fits me better. Appreciate the help and any other thoughts are welcome.