Deck line: reflective or not?

Just make sure to get correct size of the Glowire. I use it for camping. It reflects but the stuff I have is way too narrow for deck lines.

I just acquired a new-to-me boat and the deck lines could use some rehab. Any tips I should know before re- doing the lines? I’ve watched a couple of videos, seems straightforward.

Take pictures on how it’s rigged on hull from factory. Don’t make them to tight you need to get fingers in there to grab.

1 Like

It’s also been my experience that the wetting and drying sequence tightens even the most resilient

1 Like

Here are a couple ideas to consider, depending upon your boat and use:

(32) NORTHSEAKAYAK - The Deck Lines / Upgrading the Rescue Handles - YouTube

If you kayak has 3 or 4 deck fittings in a row in front of the cockpit, consider skipping one of them to give a longer span of deckline between fittings, making it easier to grasp.

Also, some suggest tight decklines, but raised off the deck using small balls or other spacers.

2 Likes

Yes, I saw that Northsea video and that was one of the things I was going to add.

Sorry for my silence, I’ve been away. But thank you all for all of your input and suggestions…one thing I didn’t include was that I’m in Canada, so many options available in the US aren’t available to me (or rather are, but at a hefty cost).
This search led me down a rabbit hole of learning about materials and why some lines are better than others :smile: In short, polyester is the best option, and I managed to find a 50m (164’) spool of 5mm polyester with nylon core from Amazon.ca I even got a non-black option (I chose green to go with my yellow boat), which was simply for fun, but also to differentiate between line and bdeck bungees more easily. It’s a LOT more than I need for 1 boat, but I’m sure I’ll find uses for it!

1 Like

(in case anyone else is looking for reflective line in Canada :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re now the distributor here for deck lines. :laughing:

1 Like

Haha! No kidding :laughing:

2 Likes

No kidding. Drunk pilots, not paying attention and they can’t see you.

1 Like

Most boaters at night won’t be have “headlights”, so the effectiveness of reflective decklines and/or SOLAS tape might be a bit limited – but still worth the effort for the little bit of help they might provide. For me, the big bonus is that they also make it easier for you and your boating partners to spot a run-away boat at night if it somehow escapes you, or for those other paddlers to follow you if you have to make an early start/late landing, for fun, or to ride the correct tides and currents.

On a parallel slant, dito for SOLAS tape on your paddle: if you loose it, it will become all but invisible if more than a few feet away from you, specially if all black. And when paddling, even in daylight, flashes created by the moving paddle can make you quite a bit more noticeable.

2 Likes

Thanks for this perspective! Love the idea to put reflective tape on my paddle!

That should last you a while.

1 Like

Use it for Christmas lights.

1 Like