Deck line: reflective or not?

My local outdoor gear shop has top quality 5mm static line, but nothing is reflective. I’ve done a quick search on reflective deck line and see there’s lots of advice on where to find it. However, how important is it for it to be reflective? For night time visibility, I’d be using my Kayalu light anyway, so why is the reflectiveness helpful (or not)?
Thanks!

Reflective deck line is there when your batteries die unexpectedly. Plus reflective deck lines give a better representation of the size of your kayak than an individual light.

If you paddle frequently at night, IMHO only reason not to have them…is if you have visions of practicing stealth operations akin to the US Navy SEALS or Royal Navy SBS.

1 Like

I concur with @kayakhank - if you can get reflective, use that. Would make your boat easier to see if someone is aiming a light at it.

1 Like

Reflective line gives oncoming boaters good information. You can also put SOLAS patches on each side of the bow and stern and on your paddle.
If you are around a lot of piwer boats into dark, there is no such thing as too much reflective material.

1 Like

3M reflective line really shows up with light at night.

Solas tape bow, stern, and paddles.

1 Like

Thank you all!! Now I’m off to find reflective deck line.
Does anyone know if good paracord is a decent option?

Topkayaker.com has reflective deck line.

Paracord for?

Sorry, I edited my question because I was tired and there were errors. Someone suggested to me that paracord would work because it’s readily available, but that seems not abrasion resistant enough to me.

1 Like

Reflective line is readily available also.

2 Likes

Deck line is usually a larger diameter (4 or 5mm), which means it would be easier to hold with a hand than paracord (often 3 mm) would be.

4 Likes

True, but to ship to me it costs more than the line, which is off-putting :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I found the same thing earlier this summer regarding the cost of getting reflective deck line when I was looking to replace the 25+ yr old deck line on my kayak. I ended up just buying cordage from The Chandlery in Ottawa.

Agree with PeterCA about the 5mm deck line. Anything smaller is hard to grab and the few times I’ve seen people use paracord, it stretches and has cut hands. I prefer the Whetman 6mm reflective deck line (available at various kayak shops).

In the past I have gotten it mailed to me from KayakWaveology which appears to be out of stock right now https://kayakwaveology.com/product/reflective-deck-line-6mm/ Link provided so you can see the product.

6mm easily slides through deck fittings if the end is tapered just a bit.

3 Likes

Tons on ebay and Amazon

Any decent paddle shop or camping store should have it also.

1 Like

Here are a few more options.
Search: 15 results found for "reflective"*
And who does not like colors?
A good source for shock cord as well.

Bite the shipping bullet it last multiple decades.

2 Likes

I am not paddling at night with power boats around. I don’t trust them in the daylight.

1 Like

“Twice as much reflective yarn as every other reflective line on the market”

2 Likes

1700 lb. break strength (5mm).