Deck rigging for paddle float rescures

I have searched the archives but haven’t found information specifically about this.

What are your plans for deck rigging to hold your paddle shaft for paddle float self rescues. I am looking for ideas, pictures etc. for adding this to my boat.

At this point, I do my rescue by just holding the shaft against the combing, but have read several times that some rigging helps hold the paddle much steadier. Just using the deck bundy cords is pretty wabble.

Thank you

Forget using the rigging
Holding the paddle shaft against the coaming is the preferred way. Using the rigging actually makes doing the rescue harder.

Check out Prijon’s system
My Prijon Kodiak has two straps that hold the paddle shaft down on the deck. Prijon added it to the 2006 model. You can probably find a photo on the Prijon website. If not let me know and I can take a photo for you.

ditto Disco
the smoother the rescue getting into the boat and paddle in your lap the better you’ll be to use the paddle for bracing. Yes holding a paddle and pumping is near impossible in rough conditions but if it’s really rough conditions you aren’t likely to be able to release the paddle from it’s anchor without going over again.

Most of the times I’ve seen pf self-rescues work well is when folks are stretched apart and by the time help comes the person is in and they need help pumping out.

You can configure snug perimeter lines or 1" webbing on the aft deck for more secure attachment

but to my mind it’s going to cause as many problems as it tries to solve.

I know the pf. self -rescue is sold as a self-rescue device but to my mind it’s more of a transitional aid for learning re-entry and roll, rolling, or part of a kit bag of skills to ensure you aren’t out of your boat and alone. From my own experience the p.f. became a facillitator to paddle alone in marginal conditions with marginal skills.

What boat do you have that you want to outfit? Simply putting in a perimeter line that doubles the bungie can help.

Learn float assisted re-enter and roll
With float - it’s more of a float assisted brace - so you don’t need a roll or anything close to do it. Just what your shoulders. Don’t let elbow get above shoulder level - or behind you. Use float for support to hip flick up off rather that levering/climbing.

If you can stand dunking your head for a few seconds as you get back in the seat (basically a reverse wet exit - and can often be done mostly at side vs completely inverted) - it’s a much easier recovery as you don’t have to do any climbing/balancing and maintain a low center of gravity. You also don’t have to do any awkward holding/securing of paddle shaft. Just hold normally in one hand while scooting in - and both hands as you snap up. Leaves you in good position to brace/steady yourself once upright.

Biggest plus is it will actually work in rougher waters when/where you need it, support progress to other methods, etc.

it is easy
particularly if you already can roll a kayak–I tried it the first time in a pool this winter and did it successfully on my first attempt and I’m no superman by any stretch.

The deck rigging helps tremendously
A far as I am concerned.

The QCC’s and most other kayaks have the two safety lines running parallel on each side of the boat and then a cross (x) between them right behind the cockpit.

I try and get mine under the safety lines and under the two lines from the X.

I find that the more that the shaft is attached to the kayak, the easier it is to swim/climb back up on.

It might be interesting to come up with a small strap with a snap for each side of the kayak that would semi lock the paddle shaft in place, but could be quickly undone when you are ready to go again.

Cheers,

JackL

QCC’s
have a groove in the stern right behind the coaming. The paddle shaft snaps right in and stays there quite nicely. It also comes out easily, much more easily than trying to get the paddle out from under deck lines. The groove is also handy for getting into the kayak on shore with paddle support. The lines on the QCC’s that you mention are a combination of bungies and lines. The criss cross part are bungies.

Mine (700) has the groove.
the paddle doesn’t snap in or stay in nicely.

Same on our 600 and same on the new baby QCC.

Cheers,

JackL