Decorah Eagles again

Seem to be great parents
I have also watched with concern as the smaller one seemed to stay smaller for a while for three years now, and historical comments indicate this is not unusual. But at the end of the day this mating pair always pulls all the chicks that hatch thru. They seem to be very good parents.

still see great difference between them
The one who grabbed most of the food when parent(s) were feeding them is up and active, flapping wings to prepare for departure. The one that got short changed in the feedings is still usually laying down, often still resting head on nest as if it is too heavy to hold up. The size difference could be a sex difference, but I think it is also a reflection on nutrition differences. The next few weeks will tell!

Dave

difference between two is greater
The fledgling that got most of the food is now flapping his wing and elevating a foot or two, strengthening his wings to fly away.

The one that was shortchanged on food still lies down most of the time.

Eagle life is difficult at Decorah North
The first loss was DN3, and now this:

http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2016/05/intervention-at-decorah-north-nest.html

They both look similar but…
the video we are seeing now is a recorded one. Both eaglets are up and bopping around the same in that video.

Unfortunately tainted prey was brought in going into the weekend, and one eaglet and the mother ate it. They got the stuff out of the nest before the first eaglet had a chance at it and it appears the mother may recover, but it killed the first eaglet. Things are grim enough that they shut off the cameras to see how it all goes. A lot of school children watch this as part of their classes, so they needed to edit some of this out until they know how it will turn out.

live cam, not recordings?
Does anyone know if/when the live cam broadcast will resume?

Two different Decorah nests
Decorah North is a different link than the one I posted above. . Should have caught it earlier with the eaglet numbering. Decorah is D24 and D25 and Decorah North was D1, 2 and 3. And some other differences in happenings between the two, though both started with three eggs. It is explained on the Decorah nest site near the bottom, with links to each nest.

At this point they are just broadcasting Decorah, not Decorah North. Daytime is live and at night they rerun some of the day. There is a picture on the Decorah North Ustream site of D24 from Decorah, he/she branched on June 1. D25, the younger one, branched today (June 4).

It seems that they are keeping the focus on the original Decorah nest for the time being, until they see how things sort out with the mother and the remaining eaglet.

Live feed

– Last Updated: Jun-04-16 9:55 PM EST –

to Decorah North. I can hear cows mooing in the background and loads of frogs and crickets singing. It's noted as a live feed.

http://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-north-nest/

The Decorah North eaglets were DN1, DN2, and DN3. Only survivor is DN1, who appears to be doing well.

Thanks for the updates
Thank you Celia and Rookie for the updates on the eagle cams.

Dave

Background detail
It’s too early in the year for crickets. What I heard just now, though, were the calls of gray tree frogs, common toads, and chorus frogs.

You have a great ear, GBG
I stand corrected.

Have had similar night music here; so loud it wakes me up in the middle of the night.

No complaints; much nicer than the wind howling as it slams snow against the glass.

Frogs and toads are easy, …
… at least around here because there are only a few kinds, and none can be confused with any of the others (perhaps frog/toad I.D. is more tricky in some parts of the country).

Now birds are another story for me. There are a few calls I know, a few others that are familiar to me but I have no clue what they are, and “all the rest of them”.

Funny thing, I was on the water tonight and all the frogs and toads were silent until the toads all started calling, just before a tremendous downpour arrived. Usually, it’s the rain that sets them off, and it almost made me wonder if they knew it was coming.

Autopsy report posted.
Decorah Nest North incident.

http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/

Terrible consequence of someone’s actions.