Delta AR "Fusion" Hull

I’m curious if many people here have had a chance to try the Delta 10AR and Delta 12AR with their so-called “Fusion” hull design? Delta describes it as “At the bow, there is a displacement hull, so it cuts through waves. The displacement hull then fuses into a catamaran hull for super-stability.”

I’m very new at looking into kayaks, but I think this is the most unique hull design I’ve seen so far.

I haven’t been able to find very much information, or very many extensive reviews on these two kayaks. On paper (or on screen at least) I’m interested in the Delta 12AR.

On the plus side, with a 26.5" beam and a “catamaran” hull it is probably super stable and should track well. It also has sealed compartments, bow and stern, which is an important safety factor.

On the minus side, it’s really for flat water only and will probably be slow, impossible to edge and difficult to turn. The huge cockpit will also make it a wet ride.

Delta makes thermoformed boats (in Canada) and while I’ve looked at some of their touring boats and have been quite impressed, I’ve never paddled one. Within its design constraints this is probably a decent rec boat but it’s a little pricey ($1250 new) and not a boat that will help you develop paddling skills.

Thank you for your response. Not being able to learn/develop some of the more intermediate and advanced skills on this kayak is definitely something I had not considered.

If developing skills is of importance to you, I would steer you more towards a kayak like at least the Delta 12.10. You’d be getting a longer boat with shorter beam and a smaller cockpit, but it has perimeter deck lines (an important safety consideration) and the hull will have less wetted area so it will be faster and track better.

Even better would be a boat with a minimum of 14’ length and a maximum of 24" beam. One like the Delta 14 model, but there are plenty of boats in this class with this level of trim and competence from many manufacturers. A narrower boat may initially feel a little tippy but you’ll get used to it in no time.

As always, the best value is in a pre-owned, gently used boat.

Good luck with your choice.