Delta Kayak 14.5- anyone comments

Im 5ft 10" and 168lbs and have a 14ft Impex Mystic Sea kayak which is at the very edge limit for my size. In fact I cant clear the knees when getting in . I have to lift my rearend and go one leg at a time.Its 21.5" width is also pretty lively and Im a bit squeamish on bracing it or leaning really hard knowing Im going to go over again.This Delta model 14.5 sport sounds like it would better accomodate me with the slightly larger cockpit and 1/2" deeper hull plus its 24.5" width should be more stable .Yet the length and vee hull should still give ample speed,tracking and maneuvering.Id like to hear from others about this model and /or the expedition version.Please give me your size and how it Rolls and holds a brace.

I say, learn to roll first
Before you get your next boat. That will build tremendous confidence and will allow you to practice bracing and leans. Once you get these skills, your boat will feel a lot more stable.

As for the cockpit size - personal matter. I too prefer to be able to get in seat first, but since I only do this usually once per paddling session, it is way down the list for me for convenience sake. Where I see a large cockpit as an advantage is that you can paddle with knees together, where in some boats you can’t and that limits your leg action. Many people never miss this though…

On the other hand, if you do not consider getting wet on purpose fun, or are not particularly interested in improving your paddling technique too much, then by all means, get a wider kayak like the Delta. The material it is made of is very good and the craftsmanship seems good as well, from what I’ve seen in the store at REI. Price is OK and it is not that heavy either. Never paddled that model so I can’t comment, but I’ve heard good things about the Impex, so more seat time may be a good thing to do before making a final decision…

I started with a 14.5’ by 24.5" boat and quickly learned that I wanted a slender and more narrow kayak (in the under 22" area). The opposite of what you seem to want. But if you’ve had enough time in your Impex, then perhaps you know better what you need than we do here…

highly stable
large volume boat. very full through to the ends, so it probably has as much volume as many full sized sea kayaks. therefore it will be slower in rough water, but a nice kayak for many people. the large cockpit, stability and good solid edging (for those who want to do so) are nice. the cockpit rim design is good and ergonomic, easy to get solid contact with your thighs. i find it rolls easily, but i can roll anything easily. seriously, i think it’s an under rated kayak, but won’t ever appeal to those wanting a long, slender, faster boat. i ordered a few of these for a guiding fleet, and customers liked them, i did too.