Demo Paddle Scheduled Skims Braveheart

then what leave it there?

Speaking of GPs, Gram makes a paddle float specifically for them.

I was going to buy one but I picked up a homemade one for free at a qajaq camp gear swap: simple design of a 2" x 4" x 24" chunk of minicell foam sandwiched between two stitched layers of polyester pack cloth with an added sleeve for the paddle (I think the maker added the strap to secure it to the deck rigging).

Not elegant but it works and doesn’t have to be inflated like the one for my Euro paddles – that’s my Eastpole modeling it. Fits between my legs under the skirt or tucked under the stern deck lines.

Also serves other purposes: I kneel on it to protect my knees on shore when I have to fuss with the foot rest adjustments deep in the cockpit or inflate the sponsons in my folders. Also functions as a mighty Nerf bat in maritime combat…

1 Like

You are a kayak encyclopedia! :+1:t3::grinning:

And probably a lot more too

Some kayaks were just cut again to bring them home. Some were sold in order to buy tickets home. Most paddles were given away when the trip was done. Just make another one when home. I decided to go another route. First I took a Superior Kayak carbon Greenland paddle and since there were no multi-piece paddle options, I designed and made one…

.But then the airlines changed the size rules so I started making my own. In order to fly free they had to fit in a suitcase where they would also be protected.

Iceland-Paddles-4P

5 Likes

I bet the baggage scanner was scratching their heads with that luggage.

I’m not sure what actually shows on the scanner. They have never said anything and I have flown several times with both wood Greenland paddles and with carbon Greenland paddles. {that I made} I think the large metal zippers on my older drysuit would have been interesting since I carry one of those too.

Have you considered a folding kayak, such as the ones made by Oru?

1 Like

She said her family had a Folbot so she is already familar with them. I sent her some links on Pakboats, my favorite travel folders.

1 Like

We only live once and it’s not as bad $ as horses.
Or gambling or shopping for purses or shoes :high_heel:
Or firearms or fancy restaurants.

I think we should applaud ourselves. My last kayak was 600 dollars and I paddled it for almost eight years.

Now I need a drysuit, two to be exact if I want my husband to survive this winter.:smile:

Kayaks and paddling are cheaper than aviation!

let’s all celebrate our green recreation and not beat ourselves up.:kissing_closed_eyes::kissing_closed_eyes::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Do you paddle alone?

Too bad we are not retired for another 1 year because I’d go with you all the time.

My husband does it for me but he would rather be flying float planes. I. Another year I’ll be within an hour of you and we can float to Havasu or meet up at Telephone Cove on Lake Mohave,

I was more into flying but then my Instructor Tookie Hensley crashed and died (Don her husband also) and I lost my stomach and confidence.

I’ll still fly here and there but not everyday like him.
His instructor Mo ended up upside down too in Lake Havasu :upside_down_face:

I’m not that good at putting things together and
I’m a little attention deficit by nature.
Also I confess to being afraid of anything inflatable, even mattresses. Otherwise I would buy them all.
I’m also not careful with things and I’ve had to just accept my shortcomings. If I get a lot of extra money I’d buy a modular and fly it to :oman: Oman.

What’s the attraction to Oman?

I’ve not been there and it looks great

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294006-Activities-c61-t191-Oman.html

I was thinking I could freedive off my boat and practice climbing back in during another crappy German winter :wink:

alhamdlilah

And I won’t need a drysuit :laughing:

So many beautiful places in the world. As I’ve gotten more mature I’ve learned to find beautiful places wherever we are except in major cities. Beauty in the eye of the beholder.

2 Likes

I tried sending you a message but kept getting an error message. No paddling buddies ATM, but to be honest I haven’t tried to find any, lol.

1 Like

it has been several years since I’ve been there, but I enjoyed my time spent in Jordan. The water in the Gulf of Aqaba was beautiful, and i had a great time snorkeling around Pharoah’s Island. Plus it’d be a quick trip from Aqaba to Wadi Rum and Petra.

I don’t know how much Arabic you know, but did you mean to say Inshallah (God willing) instead of alhamdilah (Praise God)?

I said praise God

Shukran

I love Jordan :jordan: too

I worked as a
Nurse in Jordan in 2019 / 2020 on the Syrian border

Zaatari and Baqa’a

1 Like

You’ve been there much more recently than me. I’ve always wanted to go back. I found the people much more friendly than anywhere else in the Middle East, and it has so many fascinating natural and historical sites.

1 Like