Demo Paddle Scheduled Skims Braveheart

I am trying the Skims Braveheart in a few weeks. I have no idea what I am doing but I want a boat that easier to turn and roll (take to Tofino, Van Island, etc)
We plan to keep the CD Solstices for longer paddles. I’m thinking we can trade off with one of us in the pack canoe. Comments welcome especially pertaining to comparable boats. I also like Romany and Sterling Progression but I have only paddled the Romany.

Also, I would like to hear the negatives on this hull. It is 16 ft and I am not sure if I would get the low volume (LV) since I am 5’10", 145.

3 Likes

i have watched a ton of his videos. Cool vids. Took composite boats down rock ridden river :flushed::scream:

1 Like

Free boats maybe?

I won’t be doing that if I write the check.

2 Likes

possibly

if made strong enough or you can afford the damages and rescues (there is a road nearby…) somehow , this river is not the problem in my experience.
Lack of paddling skills like backferrying and not taking the time for decent scouting and portaging is what is scaring here in my view.
Also touring canoes are more suitable for that than touring kayaks, but that is not what they had in mind and probably weren’t able to use.

But the video is cool indeed, and possibly that is where they get their money from.

1 Like

I’m curious what other boats are similar hull designs.

It’s an unfortunate fact these things are not easily shipped around :wink:

I know the shop owner giving me the demo is very knowledgeable and I’m wondering what I should be asking her.

If the shop owner is very knowledgeable, she should ask you the right questions.
If you already have those, you already have considerable knowledge.
Finding the right questions is often the hard part.

2 Likes

I believe she will try and sell me something she wants to sell (not that there is anything wrong with that.) If I compare boats but the other ones are not available in Germany then I am not sure there is a point. Maybe I will ask her: 1) what comparable boats are available in Germany? 2) is Braveheart a better choice vs the Beaufort if I am keeping the CD Solstice?

I sort of wonder if I can negotiate shipment back home, that could be dreaming but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Check out this Disneyland for kayak trials in Munich (two hours for us)

Question: is there a list of all comparable kayaks of that class? what about keywords for the search?

2 Likes

[quote=“MohaveFlyer, post:8, topic:124855”]
I believe she will try and sell me something she wants to sell (not that there is anything wrong with that.) [/quote]

Indeed, even the best sales person will ultimately sell you what they have available. But in my experience the really good ones will be very reluctantly to sell you something that won’t suit you at all.

[…]

Check out this Disneyland for kayak trials in Munich (two hours for us)

Globetrotter mainly sells foldables AFAIK?

Question: is there a list of all comparable kayaks of that class?
what about keywords for the search?

You could try ‘British style’ as described by Current Designs here:
https://cdkayak.com/BritishFeatures.aspx

1 Like

I like CD and have the solstice GTS so is this British style different enough and more like the Romany?
We could road trip to UK and save the duties on Romany which are brutal now that they are not in the EU.

I think duties plus a VAT is about 30%+ of the price

I like CD and have the solstice GTS so is this British style different enough and more like the Romany?

I quess so, but I am sure there are others here that could answer this question much better, because they have more practical experience with these kind of boats.

1 Like

that guy is in my opinion not the greatest for advice. He writes books and stuff but I watch him for laughs. He’s always begging for money. koffee as he calls it.

I was just looking for clues about what to test for when I demo the boat and he is all that came up.
Braveheart is half the cost of the Progression so I doubt that I will overthink the decision :smile:

I am hatching a conspiracy to paddle up here next summer so while i want the boat by then, it will not matter “in the scope of life”

I have to have goals to get through the dark winter. We drove by there but did not have our kayaks.

2 Likes

All the ocean play boats have good rocker. You might also want to search for rough water boats. Many of the British style boats like Valley and SKUK (NDK) kayaks have models you might be interested in like the Romany you mentioned. There are many other companies also.

1 Like

It should be a good rough water boat if it is meant for the surf. I would have wanted to test it conditions rather than flat water That’s my opinion. Laughing about gelcoat worry, but I don’t drag any of my boats on a rough surface.

1 Like

What is the name of the category, do you know?

NOT a touring, NOT a recreational …but what?

“kayaks with rocker”

To demo a boat in the surf is a tall order here, I have enough of a challenge with the eight-week summer. The Sterlings are made an hour from our house but they are too expensive IMO. The used market is really slim, I am surprised. I think I am not on the right servers or something because nothing is coming up. Lincoln kayaks ship for about $600.

I’m not sure what to call them other than play kayaks/rough water kayaks. Check out this thread and ask some questions.

OK NDK (SKUK), I want a Romany Classic MINUS - Paddlers’ Place - Paddling.com

2 Likes