Destination help Western NC

I was looking for recommendations on a river for a 3 day 40-50 mile canoe trip. I have been doing the New river and the James in VA but would like to find some thing with more white water to add some excitement. I feel confident I can handle up to class 3 in an open canoe with no problems. Was considering the French Broad or the Nantahala. I have the maps but would like to get some personal input. Any recommendations would be helpful.

Pete

You can’t get that distance on the Nanty
The French Broad would be ok, but once you get down to Section 9, you’ll want to have lightened your load. Also, the SE has been in drought, so you need to understand French Broad water levels and how they affect rapids like Frank Bells. I can’t imagine taking a canoe full of gear through it, but there’s supposed to be a chicken route on the other side of the river.

I know quite a few class 3 rapids in the SE that just can’t be done in an open canoe loaded with camping gear.

FB
My wife and I did a short trip on the French Broad with Headwater’s Outfitters. I believe they have an on river campsite. I think it is 1 and 2 but some fun little rapids. They are located in Brevard, NC.