Devolving

Reflecting back on my paddling journey this morning, I notice that in many ways, I’ve gone backwards from my point of origin. When I began, I only wanted big water, ocean conditions, and intense boat play.
I live inland, so I mostly had to make do with the local lakes, rivers, and creeks with the occasional trips to the coast to get my “salt on”.
I practiced my rolls, my boat english, looked for winds to churn up the water for play days and tackled light whitewater on occasion.
Eventually, I started to get a little bored. I enjoyed the beauty of the outdoors, but I started going less and less. There was only so much I could take in once the initial novelty wore off. I didn’t really have anything driving me.

Later, I switched to the surfski, began doing some racing and graduated to somewhat bigger conditions. Thoughts of downwinding were the order of the day and I started to get back on the water up to five days a week to train and play. I felt reinvigorated.

Now I find myself on an uber tippy, low-volume K1 boat. The same water that once seemed too tame now packs all the excitement I can handle. K1 boats are very interesting; they transmit every perturbation from the water back to the paddler. Anything you do wrong with your technique is also immediately fed back to you. Likewise, anything you do properly is mainlined back in the most beautiful way. The boat responds like you’ve hit the sweet spot with a tennis racket, or hit that perfectly timed fastball for an out-of-the-park home run.

I find myself paddling along for hours on end in an almost “Zen like” trance; a moving meditation of sorts where I’m keenly aware of all my surroundings but simultaneously manifesting a razor-honed focus on my technique and the interface with my kayak shell.
It’s really quite blissful.

Just wanted to share as I thought it seemed a little bacwards. Many of my friends are instead, pushing the envelope towards bigger and more imposing conditions and I’m moving towards placidity.

Anyway, wonder if anyone else out there has devolved as well?

I don’t water ski any more.

I just take it as it comes and enjoy being out on the water in a boat that I’ve gotten used to and have complete confidence in. I don’t have to have a challenge, or an adventure; it’s nice just to have everything working–using my body and not abusing it. The same goes for the boat.

Paddling changes as you age… I used to want tough portages and long miles. Now I want just to be out and the bigger the water means less portages. It also means more beach chair time as I am getting older and not wanting to challenge Nature any more as she usually wins.

My story is very similar to yours. Although I like a life-threatening challenge on occasion I find paddling fast in my elite surfski to be a sweet-spot in my kayaking history. Smooth water and a well rhythmed cadence has a way of casting off all the concerns of daily life and making one feel great. Because I have a family and a job I go once or twice a week but otherwise I’d do it every day. Thankfully my lake is only a two minute drive away.

@DrowningDave said:
Although I like a life-threatening challenge on occasion I find paddling fast in my elite surfski to be a sweet-spot in my kayaking history. Smooth water and a well rhythmed cadence has a way of casting off all the concerns of daily life and making one feel great.

So. Damn. True!

I have never been as serious about paddling as you folks although I have ventured there infrequently.A painful physical issue has limited me for several years, but there is still nothing better than just cruising in a beautiful place.
That place is 1.5 - 3 hours away so I have never gotten there as often as I would like.

https://vimeo.com/150586130

Nice video. I’ve always been a firm believer that no matter where you live there are great things to do outdoors. Sure I’d rather live in the Florida Keys over the wheat fields of Kansas but there are still wonderful places in the prairielands of the Midwest. Just get out and discover.