Difference in spec Soloplus and Escapade

I am interested to buy a canoe and out of all canoes I have selected two diffrent types of Wenonah but its difficult to understand the difference. I will use the canoe for 80% solo (20% with the kids), if you look at the specification of Soloplus and the Escapade (new model 2009)of Wenonah there is very little difference , why are they so close match in the specification (is it marketing?)however the chin is different (does that mean you can use it better for sailing and easier to maneuvre the canoe?). It is hard to believe that Soloplus is more adequate for Solo than tandem and Escapade in the opposite with those narrow specs. For a big guy like me wandering the Escapde would be more appropiate to paddel solo because of my length. What do you recomend?

I want to use a sailboatstogo rig (44sqft)on the canoe. Will that work on such dimension of a canoe?

I am 6.33ft tall (1.93m) and I am approx 100kg. Will I have enough space on the backseat when sailing? ( I have no experience sailing a canoe, I have with laser)

If you have any experience with those canoes your reccomendation is apreciated very much.

Taal

PS. sorry for having lots of questions.

Specs

– Last Updated: Dec-23-08 11:09 AM EST –

Both respondents have given good you advice. The Solo Plus and Escapade are perfect examples of why only paddling will tell you about how two boats compare. The available specifications do read as if they are similar boats, when actually they are very, very different from one another (and the newer Escapade is really quite a change from the original model.) A normal buyer will seldom see the offsets of a design and probably wouldn't know what to make of them if they did. The specs listed in a catalogue or website specify little more than length, width, depth and sometimes the amount of rocker. Except when those numbers are way beyond the comparative "norm" (like a Wenonah Prospector's 2 1/2" of rocker) it is really tough for reader really learn a whole lot from them. Buy a boat after paddling that boat. Certainly use numbers and descriptions (and p.net reviews) to narrow your choices, but you gotta paddle a boat to know what it is like, especially when comparing one to another. That can be a difficult task, but its another reason to find a dealer you can count on and not just use a manufacturer's or website's information. Great luck. Paddle On!

Addendum: I just noted that you are in the Netherlands, so my advice about finding a dealer may be less than helpful, for which I apologize. I do however, still recommend that you find a few dealers with whom you can develop an e-mail relationship that goes beyond the raw numbers on a spec sheet. Great luck!

Sailboats To Go Snark Sail
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2288557320063026580iQineH

That’s the sail but not the Sailboats To Go rig which is a lateen.

It’s not a bad sail for the money.

That’s on a Mad River Explorer. 16’ x 36" more like a Prospector than the boats you mention. Those won’t turn as easily.

If you are going with the outriggers you probably don’t need to worry about having too much sail. If not I guess it depends on how well you hike.

Have fun!

~Tommy

Soloplus vs Escapade
I want to thank you all for your reply. I have the luck that the local dealer has a escapade (old model) that I paddled solo what works well, okay to maneuvre was quite hard but I think this is only technique I have to be more skilled in. However the new model is not in stock, which seems to be important to test if I understand your comment. The solo plus I will try within a few weeks of someone i know from a paddle course.

It propably will be difficult to judge having the boats not side to side to compare. You all recomend to use something like the prospector, which is interesting however for our dutch flat water and canals I think it will track not that well paddling solo and keeps me working hard to keep the canoe straight. For solo paddling on flat lakes I thought to go for minimal rocker what keeps the canoe more straight tracking through our canals. I never thought about the danger of accidental Jibe as Kanulife was warning for. I wander if this indeed could happen to one of the two models, If I would sit in the backseat with 100kg, this might be avoided automaticaly rasing up the front bow.

Saling a canoe is unknown here in this area.

Once again thanks!

Taal

Prospectors track better…
than you might think, given the rocker. Again specs on paper can be deceiving. A good forward stroke helps, but that helps no matter what boat you paddle. I don’t know which is the best boat for you, just saying don’t eliminate the Prospector just because of its rocker.

Another option . . .
You could sail any canoe by using an outrigger. You could buy one or make your own. I saw a website once that provided instructions using a sheet of plywood vertically sandwiched with foam and then fiberglassed:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/garyd/quikama.html

You could also do a low-tech version. I made two outriggers for a royalex canoe by cutting holes in the side, placing aluminum pipe through and lashing bent plastic pipe for the floats with bike inner tubes.

Depending on how you want to sail, this might be a choice.

Have fun!