Different Q about Extend-A-Truck

-- Last Updated: Dec-07-09 4:40 PM EST --

Has anybody used this in the high (vertical) position not as a rack component, but as a rooftop loading aid?

I'm thinking it might make loading long kayaks onto a tall vehicle roof a little easier for a short person like me. Approach truck from behind with kayak on shoulder. Prop the bow onto the Extend-A-Truck's crossbar (padded), then push the rest of the kayak forward so that the bow sits on the roof's rear cradle and the rest of the kayak on the Extend-A-Truck's crossbar. Stand on a step stool, rotate kayak so it sits on hull, and push again until the kayak is sitting on the both front and rear cradles. Strap the boat in place and remove the Extend-A-Truck.

I can think of other uses for this item, too, and it's less expensive than either the shock-assisted Thule sideloading thingamajig or the sliding/rollering Yakima add-on whose name I also forget.

Potential problems I'm not thinking of?

rollers
A couple companies make rollers or wheels that attach to the very back of the car to make loading much easier and with less chance of damage to the car. They arn’t real cheap, but are a heck of alot less money than the extender. That thing, I built one before they were commercially available and it works make other things kinda a pain, like you can’t open the tailgate/hatch with the thing in place. Not a problem with an open pickup but real pain in the butt with a hatchback.

Bill H.

Extend a Truck
I’ve been using an Extend-a-Truck since 2006 and have been very happy with it. It is a great way to load boats since you can put the boat down with the front on the bar, then walk around to the back and lift it up to the front. One thing that is important to note is that it is a very heavy piece of equipment and I don’t often take it on and off the truck. Another issue is that water tends to get trapped inside when it’s not in it’s upright position and every time I go to get it and put it on the truck I get some rusty water on me. Extend-a-Truck works well with my hard tonneau cover, but if you drive any type of SUV, hatchback, you won’t be able to get into the back.

Here are some photos of my rig:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55133916@N00/sets/72157622785517655/detail/

• Jeff

Page Not Found
The Flickr page did not come up.

Thanks for the verbal feedback. I realize the tailgate and topper door cannot be opened with the EAT in place, but this shouldn’t be a problem since I would not be using it to actually transport the kayak with. Just for loading assistance.

Hitch-mounted accessories are easy and quick to remove, and it should fit inside my toppered bed (no rain).

Potential problems I’m not thinking of?
Hassle factor.

I have this settup.
On the cab I have a Thule standard 50" bar and the back is the extend a bed in upright position.

I found it easiest to just place the kayak or canoe onto the bed rails so the boat is across the bed of the truck. Then climb into the bed and lift the boat and rotate it into position on the rack system. I tried the method you mention, but had much difficulty trying to control the long end of the boat while trying to shove it the rest of the way up while standing on the limited surface of the foot stool. I.E. drop the long end into the bed, onto the roof, or worst case it slips over the side of the cab and onto the ground while I am holding the rear near the erected extend a bed. Loading the second boat in this manner is a bit trickier, but still beats trying to control 12 to 15 feet of unruly craft blowing about while I am balancing on a foot stool at the rear.

But that is just me. I can make any job more difficult than it needs to be. I found this method works much better, no stool to transport or forget at the launch area.