Displaying paddles

Have a couple Quimby paddles I would like to hang horizontally as art. What is your best non-obtrusive way to suspend them?

Are you thinking to hang them from the ceiling? If so, I’d suggest fishing line. While paddling by anglers on the shoreline I can attest to the fact that the stuff is almost invisible!

Mounting on the wall is a different story. I take it you’re averse to drilling a hole and screwing it to the wall… so a nicely crafted and finished rack would result in a very pleasant display. Think something like a gun rack - and maybe a paddle would actually fit one, but more likely it will need some custom dimensions. Surely there’s something already existing for the purpose.

Better yet, just use them as paddles. :wink:

Photos are of one of my paddle racks.
Of course it’s too large for 2 paddles, but could be down sized to whatever size you want.

Speaking for myself; I have multiple paddles, but can only use “one” at a time.
Wall rack makes perfect sense to me; paddles are organized & out of the way when not in use, and they make a nice display. At least to me they do. I am not much concerned with others opinions about what hangs on the wall inside my house.

"You can’t please everyone, so you’ve got to please yourself.
BOB

A couple of the “bagged” paddles that are hanging on the rack pictured previously.
Both are “ugly as sin” Lutras.

@thebob.com said:
A couple of the “bagged” paddles that are hanging on the rack pictured previously.
Both are “ugly as sin” Lutras.

Well, despite your best efforts using camouflage fabric, I still saw them there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have added a couple of other options…

The 2 vintage/decorated Old Town paddles(hanging vertically on wall), were hung using one, 1 1/4 inch screw, and one small loop of fishing line.
Screw or nail holes are easily filled, and repainted. Been there; done it.

@stevet said:
Have a couple Quimby paddles I would like to hang horizontally as art. What is your best non-obtrusive way to suspend them?

This works for my Lumpy. Might work for your Quimby. But not unobtrusive as beautiful paddles are works of art.

I think Rookie’s set up would be great for 2 paddles, hung horizontally.
I’d mount one with paddle blade to left, and the other with paddle blade to the right; one paddle slightly above the other.

Would look great!
Would like to see how they look after hanging; no matter what method you used.
BOB

@stevet said:
The screw in rubber coated u-hooks are really secure and also gentle on the paddle if you have a suitable spot to screw them in. A leather shoelace is also an easy way to hang a paddle almost anywhere. Also pictured is a birdseye maple canoe paddle hanging thingy that fits many but not all paddles.

You may need Craig’s permission to hang them horizontally.

Great pics all, but hoping to find a way to hang with very little visible support so paddle is the total focus. Perhaps removable double sided foam tape…current fave idea but hoping someone is smarter than I. (Fairly low bar :wink:

@stevet said:
The screw in rubber coated u-hooks are really secure and also gentle on the paddle if you have a suitable spot to screw them in. A leather shoelace is also an easy way to hang a paddle almost anywhere. Also pictured is a birdseye maple canoe paddle hanging thingy that fits many but not all paddles.

You may need Craig’s permission to hang them horizontally.

Bob, had a Blackburn many moons ago that your pics reminded me of…one of the many canoeing things I parted with that I regret…mostly boats but some paddles. Hmmm, might be a good topic for PPD board ?

@stevet said:
Great pics all, but hoping to find a way to hang with very little visible support so paddle is the total focus.

I think my fishing line idea still qualifies, but if that’s too visible then inlay a neodymium magnet or two on the back side with epoxy and stick it to something metal.

No damage please! Still planning to paddle them…and wouldn’t compromise Craig’s work for any reason!!

Well then, have him build magnets into the design in the first place. :wink: