DIY Kayak Repair Workstation

What do you use for working on your kayak, from simple cleaning jobs to the more complex? I’ve used my sawhorses in the past but it’s not ideal. I was looking at these from Suspenz [https://paddleva.com/suspenz-small-work-station?st-t=smdigital&vt-k=&vt-mt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYv_iMYQvl1T2bYGOAuVao59fCcVi9E49sm3431y5JtPSxeyguVch2oRoCvVwQAvD_BwE], but for one they look flimsy and two I feel like for $150 I could build my own. Anyone designed and built their own workstation cradle? Plans and pics available?

Sawhorses work well. I have three pairs of the metal folding sort I purchased on sale years ago. You need something to stop the boat from rocking though. Foam blocks for canoe car-topping work ok, but something matched to your hull shape would be even better.

Way to expensive, though they should be stable.

When making my own I used some 2x4s I had on hand, 3" decking screws(24 of them), and some 1" nylon strap I also had on hand with eight 1 and 1/4" roofing nails. If I had wider strap I would have used it, but the 1" has worked fine. I found I could stack them to save a little room when storing them, but more room than what you posted. I would also paint them if stored outside. Here is what they look like.

With a kayak on them I was building. I also use them when cleaning my canoes and kayaks or doing repairs.

Close up of the base. The vertical 2x4 is set in the bottom one for added strength. Two 3’ screws coming up from the bottom 2x4 and one through side into the bottom cross piece. Disregard the pieces of wood laying on the stand base.

I also have used folding sawhorses. The stands I made let you rotate the boat and will hold it in position on its side.

I use 1.5" PVC pipe. Each cradle requires 2 squares (or rectangles depending how high you want it) then bolt them together and put a strap between the centers. its fairly sturdy, costs less than $40 to make 2 sets from home depot, and requires minimal tools (saw, drill, couple screws), very similar to this:

The 149 dollar supenze are not very sturdy for anything other than lightest of work or wash.

1 Like

I also have tall supenze I take in the car.

Tried sawhorses but they take up too much space on my back porch where I stash and work on my boats. Went with this now discontinued 24" tall Suspenz stand. It folds up to fit into a skinny storage bag.

Suspenz stuff is pricey maybe, but definitely not flimsy. As noted above, for much less than $150 you could build a custom stand out of PVC pipe.

Saw horses work if you chock the curved things . But slings allow for rotation and support of the boat.

I used 2x6 cause I had them. The wide strap works better than thin, but thin is fine. Once again I had the wide straps.

These are PT and four years old.

At my summer place, I use wide webbed straps with pulleys suspended from the rafters in my work shop. it works great working in the cockpit, getting the yak at just the right height or for working on the hull upside with it at waist height.
Snow birding I just use foam yak carriers on a picnic table

@Overstreet said:
Saw horses work if you chock the curved things . But slings allow for rotation and support of the boat.

I used 2x6 cause I had them. The wide strap works better than thin, but thin is fine. Once again I had the wide straps.

What did you use to attach the straps? I’m reworking a pair of wooden deck chairs into stands. Have 50’ of duct support webbing but not sure whether to staple it or use wood screws.

Staple the fabrics to a piece of wood. ( 3/4 x 3/4) roll the fabric around the wood once or twice. Screw through the fabric and wood. The wrap holds the fabrics. Notice how the fabric attachment goes over the top of post.

Fold strap once use screws and finish washers. I used 4 or thtee On a 4" strap.

@Anthony1775 said:
What do you use for working on your kayak, from simple cleaning jobs to the more complex? I’ve used my sawhorses in the past but it’s not ideal. I was looking at these from Suspenz [https://paddleva.com/suspenz-small-work-station?st-t=smdigital&vt-k=&vt-mt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYv_iMYQvl1T2bYGOAuVao59fCcVi9E49sm3431y5JtPSxeyguVch2oRoCvVwQAvD_BwE], but for one they look flimsy and two I feel like for $150 I could build my own. Anyone designed and built their own workstation cradle? Plans and pics available?

That is what I use. Maybe pricey, but it is sturdy and folds flat for storage. It has worked well.

https://www.rockler.com/decorative-washers-choose-finish?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYv3wZcCGC_gINvxyIg6S56x-WRDaC2jAAYMopxWLsedZSRidfIn_5bxoCOQ8QAvD_BwE

I used stainless.