DIY Yak Roof Rack - Need advice for new pads

LAst year I built a DIY rack for my yaks. I used pool noodles for the padding between the rack and the yak (this is sounding like a Dr Seuss book!) attached with large zip-ties.

The noodles are now VERY sun-degraded, and falling apart - and would not really stay in place - as they would slide to the front or back of the rack - sometimes while in transit.

Does anyone here have suggestions for a more uv-resistant pad - that I can affix that will stay more permanently in it’s place? I prefer a DIY solution that I can make. Initial thoughts are similar padding - or maybe pipe-insulation that is a denser foam - possibly with a towel sewn around it - and screwed in place on the rack. The towel, though - I know would not hold up to weather and sun. Any other ideas for me to ponder?

Thanks,
Rex S.
North Texas

Great creativity, Cajun engineering is outstanding. I regularly use pool noodles for emergency, temporary paddling for carrying kayaks on my racks. For a semi-permanent fix, you will need to get some closed cell foam in place of the noodles. Unfortunately being outdoors, foam will deteriorate also. Why not simply replace the pool noodles annually or even twice a year? $1.00 pool noodles at Dollar Tree make the the annual replacement worthwhile.

Also, in looking at your photo, the kayaks will stay more in place if you use hand tighten kayak cam straps that are long enough that you can loop them over the kayak and then under your crossbar rather than to an eye which is on the side. That allows for a double strap both forward and aft on the kayak. Holding pressure will be straight down rather than to the side…

1 Like

New batteries in the smoke detectors and new pool noodles on the rack every year. Roofing nails will keep 'em in place.

1 Like

Thanks - I likely will just stick with the cheap pool noodles. I’ve found that the red ones deteriorate in the UV sunlight quicker than the blue ones - so I’ll replace with all blue for a longer lasting padding.

I really feel like I’ve gone overboard with straps on these. Front, back, and cradled for side to side at each rack position. The only time things shift is if the pool noodles slip around to the front or back of the rack instead of staying on top.

The rack itself is entirely of scraps from other woodworking projects. The verticals are 2 layers of exterior plywood (23/32") laminated with Titebond III to fit in the post holes of the truck bed, and hanging over to the bed lip several inches - enough to keep it upright. Then strapped around to the D-Rings in the truck bed with short straps. I’ll repaint it annually - probably in the next week when I replace the pads.

My daughter bought a nice set of yak racks for her Jeep - that she never uses - as she now paddleboards (with her dog) using an inflatable board - that carries in a backpack. I’m surprised at it’s durability. They’ve come a LONG way in the technology for inflatable watercraft.

Rex S.

Cover what you got with scrap carpet. Keeps the sun and rubbing off the noodles

1 Like

Scrap carpet works too. I use it on my storage racks. Prefer something like a noodle or closed cell foam on a rack. Just gives the impression, true or not, of more surface area.

1 Like

I meant Put the scrap carpet over the pool noodle.

1 Like

I’ve used closed foam split pipe insulation. Available at many hardware stores in 6’ lengths. Pretty cheap. I’ve used these with my truck and it lasts for years.It can be tie-wrapped on or nailed on with roofing nails.

1 Like