Do All Kayak

Never experienced that
It’s got the length (and optional rudder) for good speed and tracking. It accomplishes the maneuverability part with a trihedral hull instead of rocker, so you’re not fighting it on the flats. Lots of other good features that are fairly unique. Little pricey, but worth it.

Why not the pungo???
I am suprised someone has not posted this. Check out the wilderness systems Pungo. They come in two different sizes I think. I have an old Rascal the smaller version of the old pungo. I have heard nothing but good stuff about them. They have a stern hatch as well. Stable, tracking, roomy. Anyways,

-Danc-

Too deep in the water.
I own a Pungo140, and it could do the things expected here (and has), but there are boats better suited to small rivers, creeks, and rapids. If this is the water type that, um, the original poster intends to spend most of his time on, he would be better served by a flatter hull. I love my boat, but I know its weaknesses too.

By the way, IWish4A69Camaro, you need a knick-name for your knick-name. :wink:

Necky Manitou
Go demo this kayak! It sounds like what you may be looking for!

Could Simply Be "I Wish…"
as in I WISH for a 69 Camaro. I WISH for a perfect all around boat. I WISH for a light but tough paddle. I WISH it never rains. I WISH… I WISH…

Wait… That could be a nickname for all of us. :slight_smile:

sing (who is wishing for…)

where’s the dog gonna sit?
Yukon is a good compramize kayak but where’s the dog gonna sit?

The high volume
and large hatches makes it possible to pop a hatch and let a dog sit in there.

Compromise
One thing to keep in mind here. Each additional thing a designer builds into a canoe or kayak requires a compromise that reduces the vessel’s capabilities in some other area. So, to add the design features that makes a vessel track in a straight line makes it harder to turn, and etc.

I would suggest you decide what you want your boat to do and then learn as much as you can about what design and construction features you need to do those things. Then go look for those features in the various boats on the market. Test paddle the ones that look to be the closest to your “dream boat” until you find the right fit.

As the ownder of a 17-ft Mad River canoe with an 60-lb. Labrador/Shepard mixed, and an 85-lb. Ridgeback/Labrador mixed in the family, I can tell you your puppy will be much happier in a canoe than any kayak out there. As for leaving him or her behind, in my case neither of mine would speak to my wife or I if they saw the boat loaded on the car and they didn’t get to go. So, as a dog lover, I would say stick with a canoe and leave the kayaks for those who don’t have a canine pal.

BOSN

Penobscot 17
I have a Penobscot 17. It is a real handful solo. But put 100+ lbs in the bow and is great.

So you think
an Old Town Discovery Scout might be the one for me? based on the above I think it could be my perfect boat…what do you all think?

Mad River Guide at 14 foot…