Do ax handles make canoe parts?

I hate throwing out stuff that appears useful, but you gotta draw the line somewhere or else be like yeast in alcohol and die of your own accumulated waste.

I just replaced the handle on my sledge. It was cracked at the neck, so there was 2+ feet of solid hardwood. It hurt me to put it in the trash. Seems like there ought to be some use for it.

Anybody ever turn a tool handle into anything useful to paddling? It’s not worth the effort, is it?

~~Chip

I have half a garage full of bits and
pieces of mahogany,maple,cedar,oak,cherry,black walnut , and more.Some see it as trash;I see it as treasure. Or exotic firewood.

Save it -
I assume it is ash? One use I can think of right off top of my head is grab bars at the ends of a canoe. But the real point is that ash is under serious attack from an insect here in the Northeast anyway and I read recently that some think there is a chance that ash will be a thing of the past. It is a wonderful and useful hardwood.

kindling…
it gave it’s life making firewood, right?

I was just in Newport, stopped in the IYRS (yacht restoration) school, where they’re rebuilding a 135’ Schooner, the “Coronet”. Wow, talk about some sweet planking and slabs.

http://coronet1885.com/

Firewood

Hatchet handle
I had a hatchet handle go and used a saved broken axe handle to make the new one.

I just vowed to burn all my old saved wood this year in the wood stove.

Every now and then you sober up and have to get rid of everything saved.

Arrrrrr, Matey…

– Last Updated: Nov-29-11 8:24 AM EST –

Dat thaar piece o' lumber make fer a'mighty fine peg-leg! Arrrr!

"Arrr, he's like a duck without wings! We'll close for the kill and then board her. And I'll dangle Uncle Harry from the fore yard!! Heh, he he he!"

Blacknosehaar De Pirate

It could be hickory, in which case it
is comparable to ash in mechanical strength. But I’ve read that it is more susceptible to wet rot than ash.

Could Cut and Use for Seat Drops
I’m a bit of a hoarder when it comes to canoe parts. I have old thwarts, yokes, about 6 seats, 8-10 seat drops (truss and dowel), numerous bolts, you name it. I’d keep it!

sledge handle given last minute reprieve
Handle ash or hickory.

Don’t you dare look at old furniture. Too much red mahogony chestnut and black walnut luring at the side of the curb.

Even firewood ends up in slabs with both ends painted.

Just reprieved a sledge handle I decided to use for firewood last year. change of heart and Now that handle has a future as a grab bar or a pair of ice picks in case you fall through the ice. Drill angled holes, hang it from one end and use it as a mini arrow rack.

Hate To Mention The Obvious, But…
A 2’ piece of Hickory makes a hell of a weapon, especially with a little training in Esgrima, which is very popular here in Stockton.

Of course, I live in Kalifornia where civilians are not allowed “weapons” like “Batons” “Nightsticks” or “Billies”

Honest, that Little League bat is my grandson’s!

how about
cut down, make thwarts, seat drops. carry handles…

Awlright already!
It’s outta the trash and into the scrap bin. Like it says above, one day I’m gonna have to burn it all. I just hope I don’t have to sober up to do it!

~~Chip

You should carve
a little canoe out of it. with a little wooden Indian paddler. call him, Paddle to the Sea. :slight_smile:

after winter, hike him up to the Sand Spring of the German River, up on the blue ridge of the VA-WV line, and let him find his way down to the Shenandoah River, out to the mighty Potomac and down to the Chesapeake Bay.