Do disposable cameras work?

-- Last Updated: Nov-14-09 9:01 PM EST --

This is kind of off topic, but I appreciate any help.
My Kodak digital camera gave up the ghost.
I need to take some pics soon, and cant afford a new digital cam right now, so Im stuck with a disposable camera and had a couple questions. If I take alot of the same shots, can I expect one or two decent pics to come out? Im thinking of bringing two cameras, and taking the same shots on each, hoping one of em works.
And the other question, if I get a regular film disposable, can the developers scan the pics onto a cd for me? I dont have a scanner, and would like to know whether I can expect em to do that. Thanks for any info.
One more thing: Getting it wet wont be an issue, just wanted to clarify.

yes
couple of years back I did a bit of sailing on a Hobie 17, always took a waterproof disposable. Pic quality is OK in good light but not great, biggest problem is you are limited to a wide angle view only.

couple of shots with waterproof disposables:

http://photos.imageevent.com/dgb8363/theholycity/large/002_0.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/dgb8363/bullisland/websize/022_20.jpg

yes,
First of all, they work. So…

"Im thinking of bringing two cameras, and taking the same shots on each, hoping one of em works.

If I take alot of the same shots, can I expect one or two decent pics to come out? "

You’ll be wasting film for no reason. Just take workever shot you want. Taking more of the same shot makes absolutely no sense.

"And the other question, if I get a regular film disposable, can the developers scan the pics onto a cd for me? "

Yep.

“One more thing: Getting it wet wont be an issue, just wanted to clarify.”

A few drops of water on the outside of the camera is no problem. But get the film wet, you ruin the whole roll!

underwater disposables
I arranged a group snorkelling and diving trip years ago for 13 people in my outdoor club to the British Virgin islands. Several people (including a professional photographer) had top of the line Nikonos underwater cameras or high-end SLR’s in costly housings. It was right around the time the waterproof disposables which a bunch of us bought and used. After we came back from the trip we had a party and everyone screened their slides. The absolute best exposures, everyone agreed, were all from the disposables.

Yes they work, Kinda
The problem I found when I was in your same situation was the waterproof version washed out almost all the photos that were in full sunlight. It didn’t matter if the sun was to my side or behind me, the quality was very poor. They did scan them onto a cd for me when I had them developed. Don’t expect too much out of disposable camera.

under and above water
Due to the different refration index and absorption spectrum between air and water, the two kind of cameras are not interchangable. Not the disposable kind anyway.

That’s why the more expensive (Nikono and SLR with housing) are used by professionals. Set up for the correct environment, these cameras can work both above and under water.

The fact your mates can’t get decent photo from expensive camera points to user error in setting up for use in the right medium. There’s a reason point-n-shoot camera are called “idiot cameras”. Namely, the simpler cameras are “idiot-proof”.

Conclusion, if you’re not that proficient with under-water photography, you may want to stick with single purpose underwater camera supplementing the regular camera for above water use. (that’s what I do anyway, since I do so little underwater photo it doesn’t justify the expense of the underwater housing)

I’ve used disposable film cameras
and I found the color balance OK. As one might expect, the detail isn’t as good because of fixed focus optics.

CVS Drugstore; Digital disposable
Works like a digital, you can take 25 pics, delete ones you don’t like, keep the ones you do…when you have 25 shots you want to keep, the CVS folks will print them and scan them to a cd for you…read the fine print…camera cost does NOT cover most development…(CVS is big in the south…but look around, some other drug stores may sell these as well).

by the way, they also make a digital VIDEO camera that works the same way…

for those of you who might be into the technical side of these, there is more than one site on google that have the hacks to allow you to dowbload your own at home…I’ll leave the legal/illegal discussions to others…it’d be like downloading videos or music without paying…