Do I Need a Knife?

I carry one all the time.

– Last Updated: Sep-26-10 9:46 PM EST –

I keep it fastened to the front of my PFD, upside-down in a plastic sheath. The blade's held in place by a little spring thingy, so I only have to pull down to release it from the sheath.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with a folding knife as I like to be "ready for business" when it clears the sheath. :)

So far I've only used it to cut fishing line, but I'd rather have it there and never use it, than not have it and wish like hell that I did.

What are you going to do when you need a
knife and don’t have one?

1 Like

I never leave the house WITHOUT a knife in today’s world.

Kayak I have titanium blunt nose in holder. Some thin bungee on it so I can’t lose it. Long trip I’d have two.

If you spend time around horses or boats you need access to a knife you can retrieve and open with one hand.

1 Like

I carry a pocket knife all the time, feel naked without it (not in a sexy way) and pretty much use it every day. I tend to misplace them so < $10 and brightly colored are my big criteria.

Not sure its ever gotten me out of trouble, but got them confiscated at the airport, boarding a cruise ship, and trying to visit places like the US Capitol.

Hah, that reminds me - my swiss army knife had to be checked every day on jury duty - I just couldn’t remember to leave it home.

I used a knife on the water once, to free my paddle which got pulled out of my hands when tangled in overhead fishing line on a narrow, tree-lined connector between two ponds. I tried pulling it free but came close to capsizing. It wound up hanging in the air mid-channel, I hand-paddled back to cut it free.

It’s a blunt nose knife mounted handle-down on a lash tab. If it was in a compartment, I would have had to use the spare to paddle out to a pond, beach, retrieve the knife, then paddle back to get it, likely half an hour or more. Overall, I use the blunt nose as a screw driver more than the blade.

Your’s opens beer, too? Dang, I guess I bought the wrong knife. :grinning:

I carry a folding knife that I can open with one hand on my PFD. A year or two ago I was collecting lost lures and tossing them behind me in the canoe. Turns out one still had many yards of line attached so maybe 25 yards after I continued upstream my boat was violently jerked to a stop. In current. I was lucky and happy to have a knife handy. I’ve also used my knife to rescue a bird trapped by fishing line and to recover and throw away fishing line that I find in the water. Fishing line is wicked.

2 Likes

I always make an effort to collect monofilament. Always, that stuff kills. Oh yeah knives…I don’t sleep with any of mine. :laughing:

1 Like

Plus I take a Buck
https://www.buckknives.com/product/656-pursuit-pro-large-knife/0656ORS-B/

I don’t carry a knife on my PFD, not that there’s anything wrong with doing so. Whenever I’m on the water, though, I have a fixed blade buck knife that I used to carry on my belt and now carry on the straps of my emergency bag. I use it for cutting cheese or summer sausage, in case I need to whittle some tinder, cut a rope, etc. I have carried a Swiss Army knife (and a lighter) every day of my adult life in my pants pocket. Rarely a day goes by that I don’t use it for something, though not always the blade -sometime scissors, screwdriver, or awl. I’ve always maintained that a person without a source of fire, a backed blade, and some linguistic ability is just another primate.
Others seem to differ on that point though…
When I broke my leg and was hospitalized I asked a nurse to grab my Swiss army knife from my pants pocket so I could use the awl to enlarge a hole and I could hang a bag for my book on my hospital bed. She was aghast that I should have a knife. I was aghast that anyone would consider that a be somehow dangerous. She confiscated it and turned it over to security. I pointed out that I was a peaceful man, unable to even stand up, and not really a threat to anyone with that folding 3’ blade, the corkscrew, or the toothpick - besides this is a hospital not the county jail.
She told me that if it saved even one life it was worth taking it from me.
Where do these ideas come from?

2 Likes

I use my knive to cut lures out of trees on a regular basis and to tighten the screw on my paddle.
I always have it, hope to never really NEED it

1 Like

I have the same one. I carry it attached to the underside of my shoulder strap where it can’t catch on anything . I also have a swiss army knife on me all the time. For a fixed blade in camp I have the smaller version of the Marine Kabar.

Now I know where to get a new to me knife .

I carry this knife.

It’s 9 years old and not a spec of rust. I paid $56 for it - it’s significantly more expense now. It’s very sharp and effective, and I can open it one handed. I had a custom sheath made for it which is lashed to my pfd, but that was for whitewater. I think I’ll start keeping it in my pfd pocket.

Good knives.

1 Like

Mine has the serrated edge and I’ve cut a lot of fishing line and rope with it. I was knifed when I was a teenager (long wrong-place, wrong-time story…) and I have a very healthy respect for knives. This one doesn’t come out of the sheath accidentally.

137 now you should’ve bought ten.

Pissed can’t find my buck now!

Isn’t that some crazy pricing? I pulled up my invoice just to make sure I wasn’t misremembering. I am quite certain I wouldn’t have this knife had it been that spendy when I got it.

1 Like