Do I Need a Knife?

I got a Spyderco Enuff Salt sheepfoot blade. Not quite as stabby as other blade shapes. Short but functional size. As noted the H1 steel is as impervious to salt as nearly anything. However, it’s not known to be big on edge retention but, the trade off is acceptable. The FRN handle is grippy when wet.

1 Like

There are some very good reasons to carry a knife that is readily accessible and some folks that I respect here have illustrated some of those reasons. That said, I don’t carry a knife on my day-to-day paddles or play sessions but I do strap up whenever I am on a trip and it’s a good thing, too.

You see, whenever I am on a trip, at least once a day, I am attacked by a giant round white thing that has snuck aboard and has been lurking in my day hatch. It’s like this giant soft, floury thing that goes for my face. But, that’s not all. I’m also pummeled by a flying block of orange cheese-smelling stuff and a hideous stick of landjaeger or some other meaty-thing from the bowels of Hell… My God, man, it’s the same thing every day.

Now you gotta understand that I am a peaceful man and I abhor killing anything, even if I am going to eat it, but those things flying out of my day hatch while I am trying to take a break on some remote scrap of beach and jumping at my throat? I have to protect myself, right? And so carry a knife, I do. I slash the orange thing and the smelly-meat doo-dah to pieces and wrestle with the flying floury thing until it submits, then smother them to the edge of death in the dying, flying, white floury thing. Once I have regained control I kill them with my teeth.

My God. Every day the same thing.
Oh the humanity!

4 Likes

Who knew lunch could be so dangerous? Actually , a few cardiologists.

2 Likes

Thanks to my knife I survived to paddle another day.

2 Likes

More sharks here last few years. I’m looking into a sword :dagger: :flushed::scream:

1 Like

I have done mortal combat with the Armored Spam Knight!

2 Likes

I was pushing off some rocks and broke a huge splinter (3" and 1/4") off my $3 Greenland paddle ($3 because it is made of white wood, not cedar). I got my knife out of my PDF pocket and wittled it smooth!

1 Like

Sure, go ahead and joke, you jerks, but I have had to fight quite a few apples and subdue them with peanut butter with my trusty knife. I won’t ever be caught hungry on the river without it.

4 Likes

good luck with that

I did have a green turtle hiss and charge my black lab once but I was able to de-escalate the situation

1 Like

Maybe with a sheath that mounts on the back of your PFD? Maybe Kokatat can produce a “Conan version” of their Hydration Pack or, perhaps more appropriate, their Tactics Pack.

Seriously though with respect to the original poster…the knife question is legit and there have been some very thoughtful and intelligent responses. My take is that a PFD is a gotta have investment for every paddler where a knife is not, however, there could come a time when a knife is your best option. Consider your environment. Look at what the paddlers you hope to learn from do, then look higher, and if they will talk to you ask them why they carry a knife.

There was some discussion about the hazard fishing line presents for wildlife and I have have to say that opened my eyes. There are certainly ecological reasons why a knife is important and the obvious choice. For me, I admit that my knife is primarily used for preparing lunch, however, the reason I take it on trips is because my expectation, as well as my partner’s expectations, are that each of us will be self-sufficient which means cutting our way out of whatever fashla we find ourselves in so that we don’t place each other at risk bailing us out.

My advice is don’t miss a day of paddling over lack of a knife but be sure to take something to fix lunch with.

1 Like

Oh Dude! Did you just threaten him with the knife? Was that enough or did you have to engage?

Wait. Don’t tell me. I don’t really want to know.

Turtles are edible. Ask any gator.

1 Like

Deck mount sheath.

Nice, but it would probably be called a scabbard. :wink:

1 Like

It’s been a while since I’ve seen the movie but I get the vision of Mel Gibson in Bravehart riding into town with the broadsword on his back to have a polite discussion with the English.

1 Like

I would use my dive knife and tap on rocks outside a lobster hole to invite them out for dinner.

1 Like

used to carry a folder in lifejacket pocket. It was a gerber with a plastic housing and stainless blade. The problem was the rivets/pins that held it together weren’t stainless and the whole thing came apart after a few years.

I don’t like the sheath knifes designed for paddlers. One guy had his mounted with the tip up. He decided to jump into the water. The knife came through the sheath and into his cheek. Pretty nasty overall. The early tekna knifes were always popping loose.

I do need to replace my folder knife. Perhaps more important than a knife is making sure you reduce snagging hazards in the first place (wood in whitewater). Tucking lifejacket straps in, eliminating drain plug cords, not using wiffle balls on spray skirts, and even tucking the whistle into a pocket.

I used to take extended canoe trips and considered a pocket knife essential. From cutting cord to starting fires, and even cleaning fish, although a pocket knife is not reallywhat you want for that (fish guts and scales are messy in a pocket knife). At one time the rage was a french made knife with a locking ring and pear handle. The knife got wet, handle swelled up, couldn’t get the thing open, knife was totally useless but it looked cool.

Day made found it. Honey put it my knife box.

One thing that I have found with a folder in my PFD chest pocket is that it works better to have the clip set for tip-down instead of tip-up the way it was when purchased. In a pants pocket tip-up works well, but not so much when you can’t slide your thumb all the way down to grasp the knife in its use position.

A serrated or half serrated blade is best for use around boats.
I really like Mora fishing knives made in Sweden. They are stainless and have mostly plastic handles and sheaths. Commercial fishermen use them.
Recently I bought a nice BenchMade folder with spring loading assist. It actually opened in my pocket into the locked position. I will never carry that knife again except in a scabbard.