Do Women Paddler Have Equal Boat Choices

Probably Necky’s number one

– Last Updated: May-20-09 12:20 PM EST –

plastic touring boat! Like it or not that boat is a HUGE success. No, I'm not going to forward you posts. The numbers are real, and they would indicate that the "market" does not agree with you! Guess what girl. You and I are wrong about what sells. On one hand I agree with you that it's not for everyone. However, it's a great boat for a vast majority of the market place. That has already been proven. I think your stance is other than objective here, and a bit extreme.

Likewise I dislike the Necky Looksha IV. Really just does nothing for me, yet it was probably the best selling model ever for that company and to this day has a following in the ruddered touring crowd. So, it clearly was / is a good kayak.

Diversity is a good thing.

“Horrible” boats?

– Last Updated: May-20-09 6:51 AM EST –

In the various demo's, trying out friends' boats etc, I have only sat in one boat that I would call horrible. I'm not going to name it because it is no longer made, a good result I think. The reason I truly hated that boat was because I thought it was so cranky and different from its stated design intent that it could place a new buyer at risk.

I've sat in a lot of boats, not as many as folks like Salty but more than a lot on this board. And boats are like horses - even if they don't do the things that most interest me, any boat that floats deserves respect for what it can do. I personally have no use for a Swifty (Prodigy now). But for the right use and paddler they are a great little boat. Any problem I have with the pumpkinseed boats is usually when someone starts taking them beyond their intended use. And even then it's the paddler's judgment that is the problem, not that it is a bad boat.

So yes, for me the poly Eliza was a bit ho-hum. But it floated, turned, held an edge and didn't fit all that badly. What the H* else do you want a boat to do in order to earn its right to exist?

Superb post sing, but

– Last Updated: May-20-09 10:14 AM EST –

I believe the seemingly endless gear focus and analysis is just part of some peoples development. I've seen regulars here completely evolve in their knowledge and views as time passes and their skills increase. It's part of the journey. You're just in another phase,,,,and a more fun one. Some will always be gear queers!

that is your path

– Last Updated: May-20-09 9:50 AM EST –

Edit - in response to sing

& it's validated or not by your experience. I mean that w. sincerity. When I first came on here I read a lot of archived posts, many of them yours. Read a lot about your rapid cycling thru boats and skill progressions til you have become the lone surfboater you are, growling over newbies on the homebreak and, possibly, on the boards ;-)

I only suggest there are other paths.

Of course no kayak is the holy grail. Nothing material is the holy grail, which is the central point of the original legend and parable. None of the knights found the grail. What they "found" is how it changed them in the seeking of it.

Of course, in the meantime, people discovered chalices, cups and bowls hold water better than cupped hands, and billions of coffee drinkers came to prefer cups w. handles or insulated mugs. They shared info and preferences, and modified designs emerged to carry liquids.That is what goes on here regarding impressions, descriptions, reviews, etc. regarding boats.

I go on the assumption people can and will filter out what applies to them or interests them and go on from there to put butt in boat and experience it for themselves. The two are not mutually exclusive. They can be a continuum, or, more likely, feed back and forth into each other. Because humans are constantly synthesizing secondhand and firsthand experience. We are wired for it by our genetics and evolutionary strategies.

In the meantime, sing, it is ironic that you would put up a post touting a blog celebrating "Pura Vida" (or "La Vida Pura" in better Spanish). By your expressed view, why would anyone need or want to read
about someone's secondhand experience of being in the moment? yet people will read it and perhaps take something of value away. Can't see how it would subtract from their own moments and would perhaps enrich them.

Thank you for the discussion... I'm off to enjoy the day!

^^ THAT is Advice
No day is so bad that it can’t be fixed w. a nap

- Carrie P. Snow

You’re Right…

– Last Updated: May-21-09 5:44 AM EST –

different paths. Heck, I think even different mountains! :) Generally, I remember my "mountain" is just a molehill in reality. It's just a past time. That' why I don't post much any more -- not here, not on the local surf kayaking forum I helped start, not at all on some of the other boards that I used to participate in. But, Yes, I do still post sometimes. Why? Guess this is the first water related board (no, not the "enhanced interrogotion" kind!) that I have participated in and fairly early on in this board's history. I've met some of folks here in real world. A few who I actually feel like I am "friends" with. These days, I think my posts are more directed at a few folks (though, yes, who knows how many click it?). Nothing substantial and definitely, with avoidance of being "coach" of some type. More of a poverbial finger pointing at what can't really be described. But, with certain folks, enough perhaps for an illicitation of a memory of a simiar experience.

"Growling" at the newbies... Maybe. :) Sort of like my initial lamenting about newbies who every fall and spring go out and get themselves killed. Wish it doesn't happen. In a sport where Mother nature can spank and kill you, I would think folks would try to find out whatever they can on their own, and try to develop whatever skills and judgement they can to minimize that from happening. Well, in a well used breakzone, it's not only Mother Nature who will spank, there are two legged aggro types who are willing to do some spanking. Newbies don't like it. Some old hands at this stuff don't like it. Heck, I don't like it much either. But, it's reality just like keeper holes, strainers, rips and cold water beatdowns. I have seen these and learned early on that I have better find out as much as possible and train as much as possible to avoid these. But, these can still happen. Surviving bad experiences leads to better judgement. :)

Stoke is about the experience of action and freedom. Not about chasing equipment. But, this is my path and molehill. So time to jump back on it and shut my mouth again. :)

sing

great reply
Felt many of the same things. Not making you a guru or my “ideal” (neither of us would go for that)but it’s a good affirmation.

I’m on a different point in my journey than you are -neither better nor worse. There is a lot to absorb re gear and boats yet the need to forget it all and go play. I need and enjoy both.

Different paths up the mountain can still take us

to the top :wink:

Best to you.

Paddles should be next!
There are more sea kayak choices for very small people than there were 7 years ago. But still not as large a selection as “average” size people have.

First, let’s talk about boats:

I very much like my Tempest 165 and Explorer LV. However, in both cases I had to add 1/2" minicell padding under the seats to make them feel right, both for edging and for simply paddling. I know I have to work harder against wind than other people do–if we’re just sitting in our boats I always get pushed farther away than anybody else. (Not complaining, just noting.)

While it would be possible to get lower-volume boats nowadays, I wanted kayaks that could be used for camping trips of about two weeks. THAT’S where small people really have it rough. If the boat fits us well and isn’t a lot of hull to push through the water, then it doesn’t have as much cargo room in it as the same-fit boat on a larger person. I don’t know if there’s much that really can be done about this, other than to offer the smaller expedition boats with custom bulkheads (closer to paddler) and 4th hatch compartments–in other words, make the most efficient use of what space there is.

I know a common response is that the paddling partner (man) should carry more of the gear. But this doesn’t help a solo small paddler at all. Or a group of small paddlers.

Second, let’s talk paddles:

While I always use the shortest-length paddles in any given model, I wonder if it would feel better if just a little shorter, and with just a little smaller blade of the same design. There is no way to know, because that shorter/smaller paddle is not even available for comparison. I feel sorry for those who are smaller than I am–and these paddlers do exist!

Third, let’s talk PFDs.

Most questions about “women’s” PFDs are about bust fit. Mine is about being SIZED for smaller people regardless of gender. Most PFDs are either too long or too thick for small people. PFDs come in, basically, a child size good for up to 90 lbs, then a one-size-fits-all PFD flotation rating adequate for heavy people. WHY IS THERE NO PFD WITH FLOTATION FOR PEOPLE WEIGHING BETWEEN 80 AND 150 LBS?!

Fourth, let’s talk drysuits:

Kokatat is the only Gore-tex drysuit maker now. They make a unisex youth size that (judging by the numbers) would be perfect for me (and probably lots of young teens), but it’s only made in the other fabrics. So my choice when I next purchase one will be to hope that a semi-custom size will fit well, since Kokatat can alter lengths but not circumferences or widths. Meanwhile, I have to wonder why they cannot use the youth’s pattern with Gore-tex fabric instead.

Sorry if this has sounded like a rant. I enjoy paddling even if the stuff does not fit perfectly. But I’d love to see more options for small people.

different strokes
IMO the problem’s it’s not in the discussion of “gear”, it’s what one takes from the discussion or the priority they give it. I think one can be passionate about a pursuit and still be interested in discussing it’s tools and requirements - it’s not an “either/or”. Just my $0.02.

Paddles
For shorter shafts, look at whitewater paddles – most are 180-200. I sometimes use my 196 WW paddle with my touring boat.

A few years ago I ordered a custom-length small-shaft Werner for my wife through a dealer, and it only cost $20 more then stock.

Mitchell will customize paddles.

Non-cored paddle blades can be cut down.

But you’re right, there’s not much off-the shelf for small folks who want a mid-to-high-end paddle. The kid’s paddles tend to be designed more for durability than light weight.

Really small
Jackson paddles in 150, 165, and 180, 30 degree feather.

Stroke Variations Okay…

– Last Updated: May-22-09 5:51 AM EST –

it's the lack of stroking underneath the verbiage that gets to me sometimes. Even then, I mostly okay with it as long as there ain't no direct impact on me. If folks reading on 'net fall for the verbiage, i.e. fancy words without the substance, it's a case of "buyer beware..." But if I can be impacted by the BS, I am not so indifferent...

Example - some local "dude" popped up on internet surf paddling sites over year ago. From his postings about surf boat moves and designs, name dropping, etc., you would think he is a "ripper" on the waves. And, you would be wrong. For me something about him didn't vibe well. No biggie except the dude kept subtly trying to get me to invite him to my homebreak. I learned not to do that with folks I can't vouch for in terms of skills and, more important, practice of good surf etiquette. Anyway,the dude researched some of my past posts and figured where my homebreak is. Showed at the homebreak on an okay dawn patrol. Decent swell day-- nothing big. So, it's just me and one of the local boardies. So, the dude showed up and acted as he was one of my "buddies." What's to do but show him the ropes about the homebreak. Anyway, the guy surfed like a novice --- straight in riding. Good thing it was not crowded 'cause I doubt he can turn to save his own life, never mind dodge folks paddling out to the line up on a busy day. After a bit, I noticed he was a bit antsy or nervous. Asked him, "What's up?" He said, he was getting really flipped about the peak we were on since it was breaking right towards the rock jetty. I was thinking, "What's the 'big deal' if you had any half way decent skills to pull off a wave." Anyway, he's there and there were only three of us on the break. I said I would take him over and surf with him on the other peak, further away from the rock jetty. "No man, I am too flipped out with the jetty. I gotta go." I certainly didn't want to baby him since I didn't invite him in the first place. I told him to check out another more known and easier beach break. He left. I was just glad he happened to show on a day that wasn't crowded at all. I think had he run anyone over, he would gotten crap. And, I think I would have gotten blowback 'cause he acted like was my "buddy" and all that... The other possibility was that he might have gotten worked and trashed on a bigger day. I would then have to make choice of whether to help get him in, or let a petty desire take over and watch he take a trashing as a lesson...

sing

got it, I’m reading you now
agreed.

I agree sea…
Even sing is passionate about his tools, as witnessed by previous threads. Designers are always fascinated by subtle improvements and major breakthroughs. Especially in surf, we wouldn’t have the performance we enjoy now without continuous tweaking and learning about the tools.

But, to your point if the balance swings away from the doing it’s a shame.

That’s kind of creepy
Aside from the etiquette and safety questions, that behavior is almost like stalking. But maybe he was just looking up to you and hoping for a mentor. Ya know, “ran into you” accidentally on purpose.

WW paddle lengths
I do have a 191cm WW paddle to compare with. Thing is, that blade (Sherpa) does feel too big to me regardless of shaft length.

The only kids’ paddle I used (rented it) had a flexy blade. Even with the long narrow blade, it still felt too soft. It was plastic, no surprise.

blade areas
Makes sense – after my last post I looked at the blade area numbers on the Werner site. The Sherpa WW “mid-sized” is 680 sq. cm, and the “small” Twist is 640. On the touring side, the “mid-sized” Shuna is 610 and the “small” Little Dipper is 550. So the Sherpa baldes are 24% bigger than a common small person’s touring paddle.

I haven’t tried it, but I’d think that you could cut down the blades.