Do you frozen paddlers snow mobile?

no dont snowmobile. But do snowshoe
I am grateful for riders as they groom trails around our area making it more accessible to us oldsters.
My younger neighbors do ride but for me the prispect of righting a 600 lb machine is daunting… watched my neighbor tip over by my home!
It is the best way to get around in northern Maine
the problem now is with four stroke motors that are do quiet we have to jump out of the way quickly

I sometimes go on a Mazda Miata forum. Sports car owners seem to love to complain about truck owners saying that they don’t really need a truck and they are trying to make up for some psychological deficiency. I sometimes go on a 4Runner forum and they sometimes generalize that sports car owners are just trying to make up for some psychological deficiency. :smiley:

I never ridden a snowmobile. Just like a jet ski they look like they would be fun for about 30 minutes.
Cross country skiing I feel is much closer to paddling. I wish every year could be as good as this one in central New Jersey.

True that jerks exist in all areas and activities.

But one jerk with a moto toy can much more easily cause greater damage than one jerk with skis, bicycle, paddlecraft, or on foot.

Oh, lower impact recreational activities can do similar damage, it just takes longer. :smile:

Unlike snowmobile drivers, very few hikers demand a trail to be widened with trees clearcut through designated wilderness of 12-15 feet wide or even much more (so that they can roar along at 70mph or greater)

Like most here I am not a fan of snowmobiles - or any other form of motorized ‘sports’. Having said that, they have their uses in rescue work and, I admit, I am occasionally jealous of back country skiers that use the machines to get to the top of a choice mountain run on a powder day. Then I remind myself of the noise, the smell, the destruction of wildlife habitat, and the need to push the body to remain fit - and I’m ok with a long slog through the snow!

3 Likes

You must have missed the smiley face, indicating a bit of irony.

There’s no simple, clean dividing line when it comes to resource damage or effects on flora and fauna. It’s all relative and there are often unintended consequences to any human activity. It’s complicated.

In my experience ‘complicated’ is the excuse people use to avoid the obvious straight-forward answer that they don’t like. I agree there is always impact, but it’s measurable and clear. Motorized impact is far greater and more harmful than non-motorized activity.

1 Like

I can think of exception s
Loons are far more affected by paddlecraft as well as seals
They both are more accepting of motorized vehicles and do not flush as readily
Its delusional to think paddlers have little effect

Neither of your examples is correct in my experience. I frequently paddle by loons and have even watched them hunt under my boat. In some lakes they come after paddlers anticipating that they are fishing and the loons can get an easy feed. I’ve had a seal actually try to get on my boat one time when I was ocean paddling. They have almost no negative reaction to paddlers on the west coast.

But I guess it shows that you see what you want to see. However, my original comment was directed more towards the ecosystem than individual species. And I stand by my comments and can prove them by reference to scientific reports if need be.

1 Like

Paddlers get too close to nesting loons and the sitting loon leaves . This makes the eggs vulnerable to eagles or to get too cold or too warm. Sure they leave their babies under my dock while they fish but as they do attack canoes and kayaks when they feel threatened you cant assume they will always accept you.

Snowmachines in Maine are essential for transport in some areas Yes there are deaths from speeding or going through the ice but for the vast majority the trails they make are used responsibly and provide avenues for moose travel
Maine Island Trail Association is in agreement that paddlers have a profound effect on marine wildlife
I will not argue with fools that think they understand all ecosystems. I sure do not understand the West Coast

Well, so far you’ve called me “delusional” and a “fool”. You sure you don’t want to keep up the reasoned conversation?

I love they groom our trails

KootenayKanoe,
It’s not an excuse to avoid a straightforward answer that I might not like. It is complicated if you look at a much bigger picture; cumulative effects rather than focused instances. Part of the reason for people not communicating very well or not being able to have discussions is the need for “simple” answers regardless of the topic. And web forums aren’t typically good venues for in-depth conversations.

I’m not a fan of snowmobiles but I do see their usefulness and their attraction as a winter activity. I am a fan of Nordic and back-country skiing but I do see some of the negative effects of those activities. As to which is worse, it depends on what you’re considering.

I probably don’t have access to data on the impacts that you believe are “measurable and clear” and I’m not going to get into a tit-for-tat style of rationalizing, but I will do a bit of research to find data that I can use to write a thoughtful reply to your comments.

Tom

I’ve made a few trips to the porkies in the U.P. to cross country ski. I enjoyed xc skiing on trails groomed by snow mobiles. Prefer that over breaking trail or xc skating surfaces, where it seems I’m in some athlete’s way. I’m a stride and glide kind of guy and not very good at that.

I like the idea of paying the bucks and taking a snowmobile tour into yellowstone and staying at the lodge. I’ve never ridden a snowmobile. Then maybe breaking out the xc skis to check out the wildlife and thermals.

I got the shock of life xc skiing just north of yellowstone. When up out of the snow, bolted an elk, hidden just a few feet away. I had literally almost skied on top of him. I wiped out big time but what a memory. Don’t know who was more startled, me or the elk. Something special about the silence of winter. Would miss that on a snow mobile.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for a thoughtful response. Environmental impacts are often subtle and layered. Man always affects his environment. My position is that motorized vehicles magnify that impact in many ways including allowing much greater access, speed, noise, pollution, creating paths for carnivores and allowing species to more easily ‘invade’ other areas. That in not to say that non-motorized use is not a factor

For a review of how use, and in particular, snowmobile use, has affected Mountain Caribou populations see:
http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eirs/finishDownloadDocument.do?subdocumentId=7211
I should point out that we have now lost all the Mountain Caribou in zone 1 on the map as they have been declared extirpated (extinct in a specific region). That was the the last surviving group of Mountain Caribou in the lower 48 states.

So, it’s with that in mind that I choose not to use them and prefer to use ski/snowshoe power. I recognize there is impact, but it is far less. As I implied, I don’t view motor ‘sports’ as sports - which is a judgement call on my part that I know isn’t broadly shared!

That is not to say that in no circumstances should a motorized vehicle like a snowmobile in the back country. Necessary transportation and rescues are two uses that come to mind.

1 Like

But paddlers want the same thing when it comes to deadfall in streams.

2 Likes

Never in my life have I heard such a bogus response. Try again.

2 Likes

I am curious about where snowmobilers might be demanding trails to be widened in designated wilderness areas, and who might be managing them, especially if they are getting their demands met. Are these federally designated wilderness areas, or state or local designations? Motorized travel is prohibited in federally designated areas, so there’s no way a managing agency is going to clear cut a path for motorized travel. I worked for some time for the feds in a wilderness area and we couldn’t even use chainsaws to clear invasive tree species. State or local designations might be different though.