Do you name your boats?

Yes
although I didn’t name my first boat. My wife and I started off with a couple of rec. kayaks and quickly progressed into sea kayaks (I have the Nimbus Solander and my wife has the Nimbus Horizon). When I got the Nimbus I really wanted to give it a name, and finally came up with “Quickbeam”. And I’ll bet someone out there will know where this name comes from (hint - it is a character in one of my all time favourite books)

My Tripping Canoe
is called many names. On the portage trail it’s: You God*&$med Heavy Arsed Bastard", in the windbound lakes: “You Useless Piece of Plastic Junk”, in the rapids: “You Beer Spilling Hogged Backed Hunk of Junk”. When it’s just me the canoe in a nice place I call it “Pal”, “Thanks Pal!”

Wouldn’t trade it for a brand new canoe despite the fact I’ve never owned a new canoe! To much history.

dougd

I saw that one…

– Last Updated: Jun-26-06 5:48 PM EST –

"If you can read this; please turn me over".

It was either a bumper sticker or painted by hand, on the bottom of a solo, whitewater canoe. If I remember correctly I saw it in North Carolina.

BOB

Quickbeam,
you hasty Ent!

You’re Right
But also remember the sense of humour!

Not the boat…but

– Last Updated: Jun-30-06 4:02 AM EST –

I haven't named my kayak, but I have a little green plastic frog glued to the bow of my Necky Gannet. My girlfriend named him "Ribby". I guess I better get some letters made for it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/targetdrone/CIMG0551.jpg

of course we name our kayaks
My Tampico S is named Nottippy since whenever we travel people look at the boats on the car rack and you paddlers know the first question they ask! My husbands Tracer is named SS Gravy Days since that is the first words out of his mouth when he put the paddle in the water and glided out from shore"Wow,Gravy Days are here! This boat is awesome!"

Previous names for our other kayaks were Edna and Rupert which were a fictional couple we pretended needed our care so we could bow out of obligations by saying “We’d like to but we have to see how Edna and Rupert are doing-it’s been a few weeks.” People assumed what they wanted like elderly parents or whatever.

poopie
I’d go with the “…ie” spelling. It’s funnier.

Brilliant!
I think I’ll name my canoe Uncle Fred.

The Mystic Banana
I have a OK Prowler 13 SOT in bright Yellow,

It’s named the Mystic Banana.

I have a friend who loves fried chicken, so he named his little rec boat, “the chicken bucket”

Agelaius and Ariel
My red over white Nighthawk 16 is Agelaius (Redwing Blackbird) and my turquoise over white carbon layup dayboat is Ariel - “Mermaid”

I don’t have the names on the boats yet, but hope to soon. I think I’ll try my hand at painting them. Hey, wait a minute - there’s a guy down the street that does signs from his home - maye he’d make me a deal . . .

Thistleback

Babe the Blue Ox
I have a plastic 15.5 foot WS Cape Horn in two tone blue. If you have ever solo carried one of these you will understand the Ox reference.

Chris…

I have named both of mine

– Last Updated: Jun-30-06 1:30 PM EST –

I named both of my kayaks. I have an Impex Assateague, and the first three times I hit the water with it, just after buying it, I saw a Bald Eagle. Since I have only ever seen 1 or 2 other than this, I thought it a good "sign" to name it "Bald Eagle".

Since it is styled after some Greenland kayaks, I wanted to name it in the Inuit Language. I found a dictionary that cross referenced Bald Eagle, to "Katjiktuk", research showed it was pronounced "Cat-yeek-took". So we had a boat naming ceremony with a bottle of Bubbly, and a couple of good friends! :)

I have a small Emotion Edge for winter paddling, and creeks. The first time I had it out was the day before Christmas, 2005. There was ice on the river, and I kept running into the small floating pices. I named this one "Icebreaker". I didn't get to have a naming ceremony yet.

I went to the local A.C. Moore, and bought some stick on waterproof letters, and put the name on the boats.

Life is about enjoying what you do, and having fun, so this was fun for me.

Paddle on! :)

Oh Hell!
For the 7th time. Yeah, I’ve named a boat.

here it is again

http://community.webshots.com/photo/60275383/1060582378041263145uZoiWV

I’ve named the Artisan Millenium too but haven’t put any lettering on it yet.

Decided to call it Dulcinea, from the Man of La Mancha. In case you don’t the story, the hero of the story is an old delusional man, and he falls in love with Dulcinea. I’m not that old, but delusional is a possibility.

Andy

Nope, I let them name themselves.
Works for me.

:^)

Mick