Do You Name Your Kayak?

The "YukAttack"
I have recently ordered an Eddyline C-135 YakAttack edition with a yellow top and grey bottom. They do not list that color oombination on their website as the owners do not think it is to their liking. Having heard that, I immediately named my kayak the YukAttack. When I told the Eddyline staff about that they laughed very hard.

I want that color combination to be more easily seen (yellow) and show scratches less than a white bottom would (grey).

Only my outrigger canoe
I never named any of my 16 or so canoes or kayaks, but I did name my outrigger canoe. Thatā€™s because the guy who made it, Huki Jude, told me when I picked up the vaā€™a in Sacramento that naming was a sacred Hawaiian tradition.

Since my first destination was to paddle Emerald Bay on Lake Tahoe, and since I had Jude inlay a batik pattern fabric into the hull, I named the vaā€™a ā€œTahoe Batikiā€ with an initial christening in the American River.

In honor and memory of my mom
Whose birthday was the day I began building a Pygmy Arctic Tern 14, I named the kayak Shak Ti. Shak Ti represents the spirit of female creative spirit and energy in Hindu beliefs, and the Tern was the first big ā€œcreationā€ I ever tackled on my own.

I do,
My Ascend -DS12 -Lime Green is registered under ( Knot Envious ) Itā€™s a slow boat and donā€™t need a BIG old power boat to go fishing.
My new SunDolphin -Phoenix 10 -Bright purple - Its a play boat for exploring coves an a few names are in mind ( Mermaid Chaser, Seas the day, Sunshine daydream, Irie Vibe )
My very old Old Town Hunter canoe 11.0 - Given to me at 13 by pops has never been named but often is refered to as Thanks Dad.

How does one find these old threads?

From the archivesā€¦ :slight_smile:

No, I do not.

I am with kfbrady. The boats that go to Maine are the red one and the orange one. Orange one is ahead in salt water time right now.
Rookie, l take it you were working on rescues. I always end up with inexplicable bruises. Suggest you get,to the rolling thing quickly, much less in the way of bruises,and scrapes.

Iā€™ve never named a canoe or kayak.

Ok, Iā€™ll ride the ā€œway back machineā€ tooā€¦

I named my touring boat so that if I hailed another vessel on my VHF radio I would have something to call myself. Itā€™s grown on me since and I have a slight emotional attachment to the boat and itā€™s associated name.

@Celia. That was 2016 and my 14-foot boat, Different boats now and no more bruising. As to the rolling thing, maybe someday. I do have a pretty good brace.

@Rookie
Yeah, wider boats beget more bruises.
You have good and plenty of seat time in it to at least start on rolling. Suggest that you sign up for a class the next time you go for training anywhere. It is a less optional to start moving that way as a solo paddler than if you are always out with others.

http://www.qajaqtc.com/

@Celia. The 14-footer is 22.5" wide - thatā€™s only 1.5" wider than what Iā€™m paddling now. I do admit that the first time I had to self-rescue I was in a 26" wide boat and wound up looking like I had lost a boxing match.

@roym
Sure wish they would allow day paddlers.

Yep. My fishing kayak has been named ā€œThe Bargeā€. Because it acts like one.

My touring kayak has yet to be named. Got to earn itā€¦

Rookie: excellent one-on-one rolling instruction at a perfect practice location at Qajaq TC in Frankfort MI later this month. All based on Greenland paddles but the techniques are transferable. I am still debating whether to go again this year ā€“ only 6 more days to sign up. Kind of costly and a long drive for me but the food and training were great.

If a paddler wishes to learn to roll, and roll with ease. You need to find multiple instructors so you can pick the person that teaches with a style that works for you. There is no greater gathering of multiple instructors that have specialized in rolling {than at a Greenland camp} You also donā€™t just need to drop in as if you are going for a quick trip to townā€¦immersion is the key. That and multiple instructors.

There are also lender paddles so you can try different sizes. Not just stuck with whatever you have, that might not be the right size or shape. Not all paddles are equal. Many look a lot alike, but arenā€™t.

Only named the two Greenland SOFs that I built (given the hours I put in and my inspiration/aspirations for them):

SOF #1: Ronin
SOF #2: Kaze

I donā€™t see the point in naming manufactured boats that already have names (no matter how much I have ā€œcustomizedā€ said boats to fit me).

I have four waveskis custom shaped to my dimensions/weight. Thoā€™ I love their performance on waves, even these I feel no need to name. (shrug).

sing

ā€œEkimiā€ in Mbuti (Pygmy) it means peaceful- quiet.
And yes it was a Pygmy Arctic Tern 17.

And for a little while my CD Caribou S was named ā€œMisty Bouā€

What Roy said.

Honestly, the rolling training at the Frankfort Training Camp was amazing. The location is a shallow sandy-bottomed lake (with an outlet to Lake Michigan)

where the instructors can stand chest deep beside your boat and guide you through all of the steps in various rolls and balance braces and carefully correct any mis-steps. They start you out on land in boats on the floor of the camp lodge where you can practice body and head positioning and the sequence of movements before getting out on the water. There are loaner boats, tuiliks and paddles for students that donā€™t have their own. Really full immersion rolling training, at whatever pace you are comfortable with, with a range of teachers. Diane, one of the older female instructors, was especially calm, patient and confidence inspiring. Even got tips from the king of rolling, Dubside, who was a guest instructor.