Do you own more bikes or boats?

Based on the current PFD thread, it appears there are quite a few bicyclists on here.

So do you own more bikes or boats? What kind of bicyclist are you, e.g. road, mountain, touring/bikepacking, recreational, fitness, etc.? How is your biking and paddling similar?

Personally, I have 10 bikes and 9 boats (not all paddlecraft). Over the years, I’ve ridden just about every kind of bike from fixie to road to mountain to cargo bike. My daily riding now is simply fitness and recreation in an urban environment to prepare for bike camping trips, (I’m not sure if it’s bikepacking or touring). Most of the riding is on my cargo bike with my dog. All my bikes are steel and upright because I prefer comfort over speed, probably because I’m not very fast anyway.

My biking and paddling are similar in that I do both of them to be active, and enjoy the great outdoors. I also use both to access areas and camping that aren’t available by car and I’m too lazy to carry my gear in a backpack. I alluded to another similarity and that is speed. I’ve heard recently that this speed is referred to as “party pace”.

1 Like

10 bikes? Damn bro. That’s a lot of bikes. I have two as I never felt the need to add to them. One mountain bike, a 98 Schwinn S-20 Underground from before Schwinn got sold, and a 2005 Specialized Allez Elite road bike with all 105 on it. The same bike now goes for about $1600 and my existing bike is pretty solid. So far only one boat, a Sea Eagle Explorer 380X. I hope I can save some extra money to get the Razorlite next year but the next few months for me are packed. I don’t do as much mountain biking as I used to, and now that i work two jobs I’m paranoid about getting hurt so I don’t do anything extreme. Most of my riding is the road bike and I ran the Seacoast Century last year.

I should clarify that 10 is for the household. Some of the bikes are ridden by my wife. Also, some are old, antique bikes that are ridden very little.

1 Like

Embarassed to say… I am down to just 6 bikes. In comparison, I have 3 SINKs, 5 waveskis, 2 fishing SOTs, 2 surfing SOTs, 1 Hobie pedal kayak, 2 canoes, 3 ww boats, and one a naked Greenland frame without the skin.

sing
(Still got a lot of storage space in the backyard, and in the sheds and land around the camp in ME…)

PS… Forgot the 2 surfboard and 2 boogie boards.

2 Likes

Presently, down to 4 kayaks (all sit ins w/ 2 or 3 bulkheads) and steady at 3 bikes (one mountain, one road, one triathlon). No motor or sail boats at the moment.

1 Like

I have only bought and owned one bike for all my riding history. A Raleigh Gran Sport, purchased in 1973. I have upgraded it multiple times, so the only original equipment at this point beyond the frame and handlebars are the rear brake and both brake levers, smile. I am a road bicyclist, and have gone on many centuries in the past , and one 4 day ride.

But, having a family, we have had as many as 7 bikes. Currently we have 4.

Currently we also have 6 kayaks, so more kayaks than bikes. But we will be thinning our fleet to 4 kayaks in the future, and plan to get rid of two bikes, so will be down to 4 yaks and two bikes.

I think my biking and kayaking are very similar, exploring new places, enjoying the out of doors, building skills, getting exercise.

1 bike, 4 boats

1 bike; hybrid Trek

2 racing kayaks

1 surfski

1 day sailor

I jonboat

3 recreational woodstrips

No bikes, one Pungo, one Tarpon, one S14S ,one old canoe.

Down to 4 bikes (3 road, 1 mtb).

Up to 5 boats (2 surf skis, 1 WW kayak, 1 wave ski, and 1 kids’s rec SOT).

Some items will be up for sale. Only 2 of the bikes get used anymore—and rarely; only 2 of the kayaks get used—and only 1 of them frequently.

All the bikes got ridden a lot (oldest is from 1979 and newest from 2000), so no regrets, just a desire to cut down on “stuff.”

Can’t say the same about the kid’s rec SOT or even the wave ski. I do not need 5 boats.

I wanna hear more about the antique bikes!

I used to call myself a paddler, but now I bike more than paddle. The numbers fit “paddler”. Four canoes, 2 kayaks, and only one gravel bike, which I predominantly ride on pavement.

Paddling is a bigger effort than biking: load boat, gather PFD, paddles, etc, then drive somewhere, a minimum of 20 minutes, unload, paddle and then reverse the process. A lot of salt water around here, so even after getting home there is rinsing. Biking? Check tire pressure and go, then park it upon return. So much easier to launch a bike ride than a paddling trip.

The downside of the biking is that it is much riskier than paddling. I used to ride road bikes, but switched to a gravel bike so I’d ride slower. Maybe that lowers the risk a bit.

'65 Schwinn King Size frame - built to be an adult size “sting ray”

Early 70’s Hercules - built single speed coaster, and a '54 Columbia children’s bicycle. All 3 bikes were being thrown out.

2 Likes

I’m there with you for the exactly same reason. Just jump on and ride, and that’s why I ride pretty much everyday.

I have been a cyclist for many years, and have owned lots of bikes. I currently only have three bikes. However, two of them are “spare no expense dream bikes”. I also have two kayaks, but I only started paddling a couple of years ago (in part to build core and upper body fitness to balance my cycling) and I’m just beginning to feel like I have enough experience to start dreaming about my “spare no expense dream kayak”. I don’t like having bikes or boats that I don’t use. For me, the vehicle is a tool to create an experience. It’s a joy to use great tools, but I don’t get joy out of just owning them. Your mileage may vary.

I forgot to mention, I use my commuter/workhorse bike almost every time I paddle. The combination works great.

9 Likes

I enjoy biking and used to do it regularly – it was my only transport until my late 20’s and i did a lot of rail-trail riding when I lived in flat Michigan and in one of the rare more level areas of Pittsburgh. Did several multi day trips on the C & O Canal towpath when I had a group of fellow pedal pushers with whom to share such adventures.

But for almost 20 years now I have resided in a corrugated Pittsburgh burb called Forest Hills which lives up to its name in steep and narrow switchbacking roads full of blind turns plus it is also wedged between a crowded high speed interstate bypass (376) and the great Lincoln Highway/route 30, both of which are 4 to 6 crowded lanes of heavy truck and rush hour traffic in deep valleys with no berms or even sidewalks. I have to load a bike in the car and drive somewhere beyond home to ride. And all of my friends at this point who bike are speed and distance addicts – I am a casual pleasure and scenery rider and also limited in my bike trip stamina since I have broken and healed so many bones in both arms, wrists and shoulders. I can’t keep up with them. It has been almost 10 years since I last rode

So my two well-loved bikes, a rare and lively 1990s Michigan-built Slingshot road bike with a quirky tensioned aircraft cable frame, and a 20 year old front shock KHS trail bike, languish in the basement.

The boat hoard, on the other hand, has gotten so out of hand that I have to stop and think about it when somebody asks me how many i own. Short answer (for now) is a dozen: 1 solo canoe, 1 RM touring kayak, 2 Greenland SOFs (one is toast and purely decorative, the other needs a new skin), 2 sleek composite sea kayaks (cool barn rescues) and 6 “bag boats”, folding kayaks that are sleeping in their duffel bags until I set some up for the season They are 5 skin on frame SINKS from 12’ to 15’ 8" and a 16’ inflatable/frame hybrid SOT.

I only bought two of these toys new – the RM kayak and one of the folders (though even that was a marked down demo). I do sometimes feel like I should unload some, that I am being a dog in the manger not passing them along to others who might use them more often than I do.

But relocating to my new digs (same neighborhood) 4 months ago has already greatly improved my ease, and therefore, frequency of paddling and, potentially, pedaling. I finally not only have a garage space now but 3 of them, one for the car and a vast 22’ by 30’ detached contractor double garage (with full depth workbench on one side) that easily houses the entire fleet plus the kayak trailer. And my box truck camper is now parked in my driveway right beside the big garage to be loaded in minutes for outings. Having to previously wrestle 16 foot boats out of ceiling trapezes in the basement and out the narrow door of a walk-out basement, then around a tight corner blocked by porch pillars and up a hilly yard and flight of steps to load on the roof rack of my car parked across the street, then reverse the effort at the end of the day, was a major buzzkill for trip planning.

I did recently buy a Thule trailer hitch-mount bike rack for the Mazda but I will need to replace the dry rotted tires on the bikes, unravel the cobwebs on the frames and tune and oil them up before I can get them out on the roads or trails. And break in my butt (I remember that annual Spring toughening routine). I do feel wistful sometimes about that feeling of flying down a long smooth grade on two wheels so maybe i will get around to that soon.

1 Like

When I read “antique bikes” I pictured one of the old timey bikes with the big wheel in the front, haha. I used an old Schwinn road bike from the 70s that belonged to one of my uncles when I was in middle school. The thing weighed a ton but it still worked. Wish I knew what happened to it.

Is that carrier your own build? If so, can you describe it a little? I can’t really see how it is connected to the bike.

How far have you pedaled with the kayak attached?

1 Like

We have six but that’s only three each

I have my Vitus, the Carbon Fibre Look, a Cube e-bike

My husband has a Scott triathlon, a Felt, a Cube e-bike

My Look is the favorite to ride but the Vitus is the prettiest

The e-bike I’m still neutral on :expressionless:

Notice I am wearing my helmet :innocent:

I did notice that if my husband and myself split one small beer with a meal, I could notice when clipping in.