Do you own more bikes or boats?

That’s amazing! You’re able to haul a dumpster of gear in addition to your kayak.:rofl:

4 Likes

One boat - a Sea Eagle 370 (I’m new here, first post!). I bought it many years ago for two reasons. 1. I could put both of my kids in it with me. 2. I could put in the bike trailer and ride to the river.

I moved across the country shortly after buying it, and my kids are now too big for that. Now they could each handle their own kayak on calm water at least. Because of that I could imagine getting into this quite a bit more. I’ve been kind of watching for used kayaks so the three of us can go out together. Thinking about sticking with inflatables right now because it is so easy to toss them in the car.

Bikes:

1. Giant Stance - Full suspension mountain bike for the rocky AZ trails
  2. Fuji Tahoe - Old mountain bike - hardtail that will probably be my bikepacking bike if I ever get around to it
  3. Gary Fisher Marlin - Rigid mtb converted to single speed
  4. Specialized Sequoia - steel gravel bike, my only drop bar bike
  5. Bridgestone MB-2 (1992 maybe) - this bike can do a little bit of everything, mostly canal/gravel rides. Super comfy
  6. Miyata Triple-Cross - Old cyclocross bike works great for just about anything, I ride this more often than anything else right now
  7. Specialized HardRock (early 90s fully rigid steel) - my first attempt at making an old mountain bike into more of a gravel bike, the Bridgestone pretty much replaced this one
  8. Specialzed HardRock (early 2000s aluminum) - converted into a DIY e-bike. Doesn’t get ridden much, I should sell it
  9. Electra Beach Cruiser - hangs in my garage and rarely gets used
2 Likes

One 1999 Schwinn Moab 3 mountain bike also had 29" full suspension with disc brakes but just did not fit me. After a car bike collision, I was on the bike, I don’t ride too often anymore.

An Old Town Loon 126 rigged for fishing and a 2001 Fisher Marine Marsh Hawk 165 Deep V. Thinking of selling the big boat and get an Old Town peddle kayak.

1 Like

It’s getting close - 2 Sea kayaks: CD Caribou and Valley Anas Acuta, an old whitewater kayak, and a canoe: Northstar Magic. Only 2 bikes - 2021 Specialized Allez Elite road bike and a Specialized Hardrock MTB. Sold a couple of kayaks over the last 5 or so years, because I didn’t paddle them much anymore. Sold a couple of bikes, too, but it was because I was replacing them.

Have had to cut back on difficulty level paddling quite a bit per doctor’s orders, but I still paddle as much as always. Still get saltwater in as much as I can too, but mostly near shore nowadays. Bikes are taking up the slack - we have a group that bike and paddle together, and we ride every Wednesday for about 8 months out of the year - Wednesdays are paved trail, and others are usually unpaved rail trails. Get a few road rides in as well. Wednesday rides are generally 25 miles or so, and can become competitive on distance and speed once in a while.

So I guess I would say that paddling and biking are very similar - both are for exercise and being with friends mostly, with a few solo excursions mixed in.

Haha, yeah, 3 of my five single bikes are old cyclocross bikes. Do-it-all’s!

@MohaveFlyer that Vitus is SHARP!

1 Like

I have an old road bike and a nice mountain bike, but also have three canoes and a sea kayak. With a bike, you just choose the appropriate bike for where you’re riding.
It’s easier to have and use the boats, solo for quiet solo paddles and maybe recreational races, tandems for paddling with “friends” and maybe weekend racing. It’s easier to teach a new paddler in a tandem, because they can learn as you go, and aren’t forced to try to learn a lot about wind, currents, paddling technique, entering and exiting a canoe or kayak their very first trip out.

1 Like

The Vitus is a clean, beautiful bike. Here’s how I display bikes in my house, on simple platforms I make.

I don’t have any kayaks on display yet, but I am sure I will eventually :blush:

2 Likes

Oh yes! Me also

We have high ceilings with big skylights in the family room and I can see my sexy new blue Finland Braveheart kayak looking very inspirational during those long dark winters.

3 Likes

One old full suspension mountain bike, which I ride to get into nature and get exercise, and 2 kayaks - a 12’ Tribute and a 16’ Capella sea kayak. I like speed and excitement, but not too much danger. One other similarity is that I don’t do either sport alone and I don’t go out without a good amount of safety gear. I prefer paddling if I have the choice - partly because I have gotten more hurt biking, and I find the water to be more peaceful (especially salt).

2 Likes

I don’t have bikes but had several iterations of running shoes followed by hiking boots. I loved walking distances starting as a young teen. Paddling replaced walking when my legs succumbed to genetics.

3 Likes

I have three bikes and 8 boats of varying degrees. Three kayaks, a Wherry, a Dinghy, two sailboats, and a sailing Duck Punt.

The bikes are an old schwinn that came with the house, my ancient Trek C/F mountain Bike, and I just picked up a Catrike.

1 Like

At least they’re building more bicycle access on the highways.

2 Likes

5 bikes 2 boats but I’m looking to add both. I had 4 boats but sold 2 of them.