Does AI seem to be creeping in

Does anyone else get the feeling that the use of Artificial Intelligence is becoming part of the discussions on many parts of this forum ? {rather than actual personal experience.}

Or is it just my imagination?

If the docs add another part or 2, I might qualify for low end AI.

2 Likes

It would suck if AI were to start surfing for me… :face_with_diagonal_mouth: I am assuming that you are thinking some on PCom are replacing narrative of actual knowledge/experience with AI generated expertise? If so, I see no purpose or benefit in doing that. Maybe I am naive.

sing

My understanding is that it would be difficult to use AI to participate in a detailed discussion of current events because Chat GPT’s training was limited to pre-2022 input. I understand that cut-off is being (or maybe already has been) brought forward and I realize there are a couple of other LLMs out there, but an AI tool would need real time training to discuss stuff happening now (N Atlantic storms, purchase of CD by Sanborn, etc). Of course, real time-trained AI tools will undoubtedly become available … before I’m ready.

At times I wish it would show up more. These people who consider themselves Internet Influencers can’t tell a story for anything.

I am not all that worried about AI because it doesn’t have the ability to make logic leaps in inductive logic. It can compile a lot of data for deductive logic and that might cut down on all of the misinformation floating around.

“I am not all that worried about AI because it doesn’t have the ability to make logic leaps in inductive logic.” Different methods can, and don’t really need inductive logic to make leaps beyond training sets.

Yes there have been several posts that appear to be the product of AI programs. I assume developers are testing them to see how humans react and interact with the answers or more likely people who want to make a living creating internet content from sources like Pnet discussion forums.

Nah, but who cares. Discussing a topic should make you dig into the recesses and retrieve info. If we don’t think about this stuff, we’ll forget it. Doesnt matter to me. I just hope they don’t get those space ships, land rovers and ray guns.

Ha ha ha? Silly creature. Those things don’t yet exist. Be silent… !

What do you see as the “give aways”? I am clearly not paying enough attention. But, a lot of times, I am just skimming quickly anyway.

sing

4 Likes

Good question.

OK, just for fun I asked Chat gpt a couple of questions from two other current threads.
First one:
“Please give me a few examples of light weight sit on top kayaks.”
Answer:
As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, I can provide you with a few examples of lightweight sit-on-top kayaks that were popular at that time. However, keep in mind that the availability and popularity of specific kayak models may change, and newer models may have been introduced since then. Always check with retailers or manufacturers for the latest information. Here are a few examples from various brands:

1. Ocean Kayak Frenzy:

• Length: 9 feet*
    • Weight: Approximately 43 pounds*

2. Perception Tribe 9.5:

• Length: 9 feet 5 inches*
    • Weight: Approximately 46 pounds*

3. Pelican Sentinel 100X:

• Length: 9 feet 6 inches*
    • Weight: Approximately 44 pounds*

4. Lifetime Tahoma:

• Length: 10 feet*
    • Weight: Approximately 52 pounds*

5. Vibe Kayaks Skipjack 90:

• Weight: Approximately 46 pounds*

6. Sun Dolphin Bali SS 10-Foot Kayak:

• Weight: Approximately 44 pounds*

7. Old Town Vapor 10:

• Weight: Approximately 47 pounds*

8. Emotion Kayaks Spitfire 9:

• Weight: Approximately 45 pounds*

Remember that these weights are approximate and can vary based on factors such as the specific model, materials used, and manufacturing processes. Additionally, advancements in kayak design and materials may have led to the introduction of new lightweight models after my last update. Always check the latest specifications from the manufacturers or retailers for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Second question:
“In a couple of paragraphs, please tell me whether the demand for sea kayaks in the U.S. is declining and if so, why?”
Answer:
As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, I don’t have specific data on the current demand for sea kayaks in the U.S. Trends in consumer demand can be influenced by various factors, including economic conditions, cultural shifts, and changes in recreational preferences. However, I can provide some general observations that may be influencing the demand for sea kayaks.

The popularity of outdoor activities, including kayaking, has generally been on the rise in recent years, driven by a growing interest in nature-based recreation and fitness. Sea kayaking, with its focus on exploring coastal areas and open waters, has a dedicated enthusiast base. However, market dynamics can change based on factors like economic recessions, changes in disposable income, or shifts in consumer preferences towards other recreational activities.

If there is a decline in the demand for sea kayaks, potential reasons could include shifts in consumer preferences towards other water-based activities, economic downturns affecting discretionary spending, or even evolving perceptions of adventure and outdoor recreation. To get the most accurate and up-to-date information on the current state of the sea kayak market in the U.S., it would be advisable to consult industry reports, market research studies, or contact relevant trade associations for the latest data and insights.

Notice that the response didn’t address the trend question because it does not have info after 9/21.
To me they read like plain vanilla answers to college essay questions, but still impressive given they were created in seconds.