Does anyone use a comp vest for racing?

These are the non cga vests that some use for skiing, wake boarding and kite boarding. They are much thinner and less bulky than cga pfds so therefore allows for a lot more range of motion. Does anyone use them and if so what is your opinion?

Yes I know of the safety issues so let’s not go there. I’m looking for flatwater racing not open ocean or whitewater.

Thanks

If no response here, contact Nick Murray of TC Surfski. He sells both Mocke and Vaikobi. Don’t know which brand he wears but he does wear one while racing. His email address is at the bottom of the following link.

http://tcsurfski.com/product-category/pfds-life-jackets/

Thanks Rookie. I’m aware of the Mocke and Vaikobi but was looking for something thinner. They have a good reputation as they should (they’re expensive enough). I’m just trying to see what other options might work better for my needs.

Three points:

1. In every race I have ever entered where PFD’s are required, The rules state that they must be Coast Guard Approved. (that has been on races on lakes and rivers as well as the ocean)

2. I have raced in lots of races where PFD’s are not mandatory and you can use what ever you want to or none at all, Where they are not mandatory to be worn, I never wear mine, but always have it on the rear deck.

3. Keep in mind that the Coast guard requires that there must be a USCG approved PFD for every person on a boat. My wife and I were lilly dipping in our tandem canoe one time on a lake in TN and we got stopped by a ranger who was checking for PFD’s - We had ours with us.

Jack L

I have a good PFD and carry it with me in case of storms. Difficult as heck to wear it because it hampers rotation.

What lake in Tennessee so I know never to go there? :smile:

DD, what model pfd are you using that’s so restrictive?

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Like Jack, as a veteran of many flat water canoe races, CG approved PFDs are always required to be present in the boat (at all times by law in NY), Wearing of such is dependent upon both the law (in NY required to be worn from 1Nov-1May), and at the direction of the race director if water/wind conditions are deemed rough. Inflatables do not count. If not directed to do so, many racers choose to not wear them regularly, presumably counting on nearby fellow paddlers to assist if necessary.

I often use a type III inflatable on my surfski for most short flatwater races. I usually use a (previous model) Astral v8 or a Mocke for longer races. In the past I preferred Kokatat, but my MsFit feels very heavy (and with very little ventilation) as compared to my V8.

@DrowningDave said:
I have a good PFD and carry it with me in case of storms. Difficult as heck to wear it because it hampers rotation.

What lake in Tennessee so I know never to go there? :smile:

I was checked on Jocassee. Easy since I wear mine.

I’m not a racer, but the only thing I can tell that restricts my torso rotation is my tight *ss. :wink: And I always thought the reason for not wearing was for heat management under heavy workload.

Steve, I deleted my post as not completely relevant to what the OP wanted to know, but I’m glad to see that you “get it”.

@Guideboatguy said:
Steve, I deleted my post as not completely relevant to what the OP wanted to know, but I’m glad to see that you “get it”.

I just made my standard assumption that a deleted post shouldn’t be quoted - for any number of reasons. I too am curious what PFD is the problem.

Steve, I didn’t mind being quoted, and now that some folks will be wondering what I said, I’ll briefly repeat that a well-fitting PFD grips one’s rib cage and moves as one with the rib cage. Since the rib cage has no noticeable amount of differential movement within it, then being wrapped in a PFD can’t possibly interfere with rotation. And I mentioned that torso and arm movement are far more extreme when rowing, yet I have no problem with a properly-fitting PFD in that case either. And I mentioned there’s not that much rotation with rowing, but in thinking about it, that’s not true. I actually rotate as much as possible on a regular basis, even every few strokes at times, and sometimes every stroke when in tight quarters, just to get a good look at where the boat is headed. No PFD problems in that case either.