Does customizing your kayak make it

harder to sell if decide to try something else? I find myself very hesitant to change seats or rigging or any thing else for that matter for fear I won’t be able to sell it if I decide it’s not for me.

I have been hesitant myself when looking at used kayaks that have had the seat cut out and something else put in or other parts modified. Has anyone else felt the same way? Or do you make modifications that can be changed back to stock?

Its a concern
Its a concern but I did it anyway. I installed an electric Bilge pump which required drilling a large whole through the fiberglass deck for the pump outlet.

Could it effect resale, sure but I don’t worry to much about it. Heck if cutting out a factory seat makes it more comfortable I say do it. If you decide to sell later just don’t mention it just show pictures of the kayak. Let buyer decide.

Depends

– Last Updated: Sep-11-13 2:57 PM EST –

I suppose it depends on the modification and the buyer. This summer I sold a PE sea kayak that had a few modifications: a Brunton 70P recessed compass and a pair of Seaward quick release rescue straps. I was asking an additional $100 for these installed items and the buyer didn't want them. I told him there would be holes where the straps and compass were removed but he didn't care - so I took them off and sold him the kayak with small holes instead. I ended up using them on my new kayak. To each his own.

I own a sports car and have made several mods (exhaust, suspension, interior details, etc.) to it as well. Learning from other owners, I saved all the original parts and will put them back on when it comes time to sell the car. I will have no problem selling the aftermarket parts.

definitelty depends on the mod
Definitely depends on the mod. If it is something usable by anyone, then it shouldn’t have a negative impact (and may have a positive). But if it is something that makes the boat only usable by a smaller number of people and it can’t be put back to original, then it could make it harder to sell.

When i buy a kayak or canoe it is for me
not the next guy, and I make any and all modifications that will improve it for me.

If you are worried about the resale value, just keep it wrapped up and don’t use it.

Jack L

People are individuals
Kayaks come generic - people are specific.

Cut, hack, saw, glue, cobble, etc. as needed so

that the kayak conforms to the paddler.

Closed cell foam is your friend.

Easily manipulated by anyone that owns the kayak.

Each point of contact matters in my opinion

http://bit.ly/17rc6pp

If you’re worried about resale
If you’re worried about resale then maybe this isn’t the boat for you. If it’s not, sell it now and get something that works better. Otherwise, don’t worry about it. I’ve never had a problem selling a kayak for the price I wanted.

I need the kayak to fit me
for me to enjoy it. A kayak depreciates anyway. It’s not real estate which usually appreciates and needs to be staged for the buyer.

If I get fifty bucks less for it when I sell it, so what? If I had a miserable time “enduring it” for the sake of value, it seems I did not attain my goal of enjoyment, which is usually why I buy a kayak in the first place.

easier to sell
I have modified every single kayak that I have owned and occasionally I sell one. All my kayaks have electric bilge pumps, most have custom carbon seats, sail mounts and often I reinforce the hull with a layer of carbon/Kevlar.

All my mods are better than factory standard work and everything is tidy.

When I put a kayak of mine on the market it usually sells for more than what I bought it for. The new buyer often tells me that they wanted a kayak that was modified with the items I have on the one I am selling.

My modifications and outfitting is documented on my blog so the buyer usually can see that it was no hack job. Myself on the other hand have reservations buying a kayak that had extensive mods since most jobs are so rough that I simply cringe (including some professionally done by a kayak manufacturer).

Seats
I remove the seat and keep it so it’s brand new when I sell the kayak. I never screw the seat into the deck. I just set it in the kayak, sometimes on a piece of thin foam. Works well if there are straps that can attach somewhere. This is more stable than you might imagine.

Rigging not an issue
It should be changed out periodically to make sure the lines and bungies are in good shape anyway. Someone who has their head on straight won’t mind that. I am quite sure the sorry state of the bungies on one of my boats would be a problem - have the new cord just haven’t gotten to doing the work. As long as the perimeter lines are good I worry less about the stretchy stuff.

Minicell foam can be taken out easily, no problem there.

Seats can be a more difficult decision if they are not bolted in, but on a molded hanger that is part of the coaming. The decision to cut it out is major. But I am not sure there are many like that in current models. That said, I have seen more than one really good job done on a replacement foam seat like the ones from Redfish that would make me like a boat better. They are comfortable and easily adjusted.