Does Walking Make You Less of a Paddler?

Last weekend, I was sitting on the rocks in the middle of Zoar Gap on the Deerfield River taking pictures. The rest of the group had just paddled through, and now it was my turn. I could have easily slipped my boat back into the water, pealed out into the current, and attempted to hug the right line through the Gap as I have with mixed success so many times before. Instead, I decided to walk my boat, and I’ve felt guilty about it ever since.

I know that my guilt is entirely self-imposed - no one in the group said a word, or even seemed to care. Still, it brings up a question that I struggle with on occasion – does walking a rapid make you less of a paddler? This probably isn’t a question that just whitewater paddlers wrestle with.

So how far should we push ourselves, and when is it OK to step back? I think there’s a lot of truth to the old adage “if you aren’t swimming, you aren’t trying hard enough”. To become a better paddler you definitely need to take risks, and if walking becomes a crutch, then that’s a problem. Based on the number of swims that I have taken over the past few years, I’m not worried about that yet.

But does that mean that you need to run every rapid, or take every risk? Stretching your abilities is one thing, but I also try to temper that with the desire to be self-sufficient. It’s good to know that the group is there to support me, but it’s even better if they don’t have to.

So personally, I have come to the conclusion that occasionally it is OK not to run a rapid. Paddling is not about a single event. It’s about running the river, and getting home that night to run another river another day. It’s about pushing your abilities, but not putting yourself or others at unreasonable risk. It’s about enjoying a day on the water with a great group of people. So if my ego gets bruised occasionally, either by swimming or by walking, I’m OK with that.

So to all my paddling friends, here’s the deal - if I’m tired, if I’m cold, if my gut is telling me that today is not the day to run that rapid, I might walk. But if I don’t, thanks in advance for fishing me out when I swim. I’ll try to do the same for you.

That’s me on the rock to the left getting ready not to run Zoar Gap

My beef about Zoar Gap is that it’s such a step up compared to the rest of the run. I think if a run is a class II, with one Class III+ rapid, it is reasonable to walk, depending on the day and the vibe. Why should people get beat-downs on uncharacteristic rapids? And why is bombing your way through more valued than truly running, and playing, a rapid?

Dirty Harry said it best: “A man has got to know his limitations.” If your head tells you, “I should’ve run it,” but the intuition says “I dunno…Not today”–Then you still have to pay heed and listen.
I had a friend once who had great Cl. V ww skills. He went on a paddling trip to NZ where he got to run all the rapids to his hearts content, everyday for two weeks straight. The day he was do to get on the plane home, he decided to fit in just “one more run.” When we paddled together back home, he’d normally listened to both his head and intuition before taking on even the most familiar local cl. II. Well, maybe he was tired and his judgement was skewed, but that last quick run was the last of his life. It was a personal wake up call to me, and I don’t go near no Cl. V.

Then there’s this: “You know, when I was a bachelor with no real stake in this life, I could’ve done that rapid in a heartbeat. But now that I’m a family man with people back on land who count on me…I’d best not.”
–If it’s not just about you, you have to take into account the consequences of your actions on those you love.
Even if only to avoid a minor personal injury.

And finally: “Well it’s not really a death defying run. But do I feel like a cold swim today with all the chill and potential embarrassment that might entail?” My own personal fall back would be:
“Who me? I’m just taking pictures today.” :wink:

I learned a long time ago that you need to make your own decisions simply because its your own life (or death).

There’s often a “herd” mentality in ww groups that I’ve been pretty good not to get caught up in. You can still be part of a group yet do your own thing and make your own decisions.

How much risk is purely a personal decision unless others are following. Then you have to take into account their needs as well. For instance if you run something, make it look easy, are folks gonna follow that maybe shouldn’t?

The number one goal is to come home in one piece.

I’ve waded, lined, even sent my boat on ahead on its own, and portaged a bit. Sometimes the carry seemed more dangerous than if I had decided to run the rapid due to a falling or tripping hazard. Usually it was just inconvenient.

As rapids become harder, the room for error becomes less, and the consequences become higher. Ego shouldn’t play into those decisions. I’ve broached a few canoes, stuffed a squirt boat up under an undercut, taken a few class V swims. I know stuff happens! The last thing I need is to paddle with folks who are way more skilled than I am.

Now I’m not typical, most ww paddlers are ascending the ladder of difficulty. Me, I’m gradually descending. Most ww paddlers have a good roll, I don’t so much. Right now my ability to paddle has progressed far beyond my rolling ability. So I paddle a bit differently. I’m a self proclaimed “weeny boater”. Know yourself, your strengths, your weak areas and adjust and work on your paddling accordingly- that’s the key to individual success. Be comfortable with who you are as a paddler. Focus on the positive. For me “I can make class II look damn good!” Yet embrace new challenges. Put me in one of those thin pencil ocean kayaks and watch me struggle to keep the thing upright or turn.

Self preservation is a good thing. i didn’t take up paddling so someone else can make decisions for me. I feel strongly that everyone should wear a pfd but know ultimately it is a personal decision.

I carried around two drops on a day where the rest of a large group (that included less skilled paddlers than myself) paddled everything. I didn’t like their speedy pace and just “follow me” over a blind drop mentality. That’s more of a reflection on them than me.

I don’t consider that a bad day or have any regrets, the creek is still there if I want to go back and paddle those drops. The creek continues to flow regardless of what we paddle or walk around. I enjoyed what I did. Did you enjoy what you paddled Eck? That’s the question you should be asking.

Personally, portaging sucks, but sometimes its the way to go. So get your drop “wired up” when the weather is warmer. Work alternate lines and water levels, take your lumps and then, maybe come next winter you’ll have it “dialed in” if you don’t want to portage.

Back in december I ran a bunch of sneak lines through the middle gauley- the big dogs were out playing what I was running around. Yet I had good day because I stayed within my own skillset, not their’s. I’m just not willing or able to do what they can do.

I enjoy winter ww paddling but then again I have a lot of dry hair days. Start swimmin’ a bunch and I’m pretty sure I’d feel differently.

Clint Eastwood pretty much covered it, “Do you feel lucky punk?” or “a man’s gotta know his limitations”.

lookin’ at the photo can you sneak the river right side? (left side of photo)

There are lots of old WW paddlers and lots of hotshot WW paddlers, but not many old, hotshot paddlers (or any other risky pursuit).

Listen to your gut and be able to paddle another day.

@Andy said:
There are lots of old WW paddlers and lots of hotshot WW paddlers, but not many old, hotshot paddlers (or any other risky pursuit).

Listen to your gut and be able to paddle another day.

I was thinking of the same sentiment, usually expressed in the scuba and motorcycle communities as “there are plenty of old divers/riders, and plenty of bold divers/riders but not many old, bold divers/riders”.

Little different scenario for me but the same mental tug of war. There is no local whitewater for me here in NW Iowa but I see a lot of it on my remote solo canoe trips into northern Canada. Walking (portaging) a rapid might mean 5 trips (3 loaded, 2 unloaded) of a mile or more to get everything across. So the desire to improve my skills and avoid a long portage is strong but so is the desire for self preservation. Even in summer the water can be quite cold and there may be literally no one for a hundred or miles or more to come to my assistance should things go wrong. Lost gear or a damaged boat is serious business.

I’m getting pretty comfortable with most CII rapids but I often find myself on shore looking at a tough CII or easy CIII and wondering if I should run it or play it safe. Running it might save me over an hour of hard work, improve my skills, and add some excitement to the day but I try to play it conservative and listen to that inner voice. The only time I’ll push my limits is a warm sunny day and a relatively short rapid that doesn’t look to have a tough penalty in case of failure (nice eddy below and no obvious rocks that would pin a canoe). It can be a tough decision to make. Thankfully, so far, I’ve always chosen wisely.

Alan

It seems to me that the longer you are out of the boat, the harder it is to get back in. And yes, one much harder rapid near the end of the run is tempting to skip if you are nice and dry and would like to stay that way when you take out and load up.

I understand the bit about feeling as if you had let yourself down a bit. I have passed on runs and rapids that were probably well within my ability and felt as if I had missed out later. And I have walked around rapids that I have run successfully many times in the past when I just didn’t feel it.

We really don’t accomplish anything much by paddling pieces of plastic down whitewater streams other than have a good time. Nowadays if I don’t feel like running a rapid is going to be fun, I walk.

I can relate to everything that pblanc said; particularly the part about walking rapids I have run successfully on my many occasions. If I don’t feel it; I have no problem walking. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

The group of regulars I paddled whitewater with most often were good paddlers, and 3 were Swiftwater Rescue Instructors, as was I.
I felt comfortable paddling with them, and occasionally pushed my
skill level. I believed they’d do their best to help me if necessary. When several of that crew gave up whitewater paddling; I kept paddling but felt much less comfortable paddling with strangers. I paddled less, pushed my limits less, and my skill level deteriorated.

Finally I walked away from whitewater.
I do miss it occasionally.

BOB

You are there to make yourself happy not anyone else. Smart people know their limits. Went with a friend in winter and he starts heading out inlet to ocean fairly rough day. Has a wet suit only. Told him after the buoy you are truly on your own. I had full drysuit & balaclava. I said I am not coming for you either but I will radio if you get in trouble. I am not stupid and his skills and dress were not appropriate for the conditions.

@Ben said:
My beef about Zoar Gap is that it’s such a step up compared to the rest of the run. And why is bombing your way through more valued than truly running, and playing, a rapid?

Definitely agree with that, although I do tend to try to bomb through the Gap hugging the right side - with mixed results.

@tdaniel said:
lookin’ at the photo can you sneak the river right side? (left side of photo)

There use to be a sneak line on the right, but it got filled in with rocks during Hurricane Irene a few years ago. Now you need to go right or left of the big rock in the middle - “Oh Shit Rock”

@Alan_Gage said:
So the desire to improve my skills and avoid a long portage is strong but so is the desire for self preservation. Even in summer the water can be quite cold and there may be literally no one for a hundred or miles or more to come to my assistance should things go wrong. Lost gear or a damaged boat is serious business.

It’s one thing to walk because you are cold and lazy. It’s another thing to walk so you will have a tent to sleep in and food to eat for the next week - keep portaging.

@pblanc said:
I have passed on runs and rapids that were probably well within my ability and felt as if I had missed out later. And I have walked around rapids that I have run successfully many times in the past when I just didn’t feel it.

I guess we are just getting old Peter - at least we are still out there.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Smart people know their limits. Went with a friend in winter and he starts heading out inlet to ocean fairly rough day.

Definitely a different situation on the ocean - not like you can decide to get out and walk.

Great comments - I guess we are just a conservative bunch. Nothing wrong with that.

@Andy said:

Just saw this in my Facebook newsfeed - so sad…
http://www.newhampshire.com/article/20161101/NEWHAMPSHIRE03/161109906

can’t get out and walk in white water either if your all banged up. When out it’s your day to enjoy as YOU please.

@PaddleDog52 said:

can’t get out and walk in white water either if your all banged up.

That’s true - once you are in too deep, it’s too late, no matter what you paddle.

You uncle might say you’ve just grown up a little more.

Yes, you poofster, you are obviously less of a paddler. Never mind that you are paddling in February, when 95% of real men are hugging the wood stove (maybe not this year).

So, you paddled 100 or so yards less than you might of, technically making you less of a paddler. My friend, Bill, clarifies questions this way: “what would a smart fella do?” It’s just conjecture on my part, but I think the smart fella would have walked the rapid, finished the run warm and dry, and gone home happy.

~~Chip

I find the topic somewhat ambiguous, perhaps because I’m reading the title too literally.

If the question is whether paddler A, who occasionally feels the need to walk Zoar Gap, is less of a paddler than B, who always paddles or plays it with ease, then the answer is clearly yes. B is the better paddler, either technically or psychologically or both.

If the question is whether A should feel guilty about not running a rapid at the limit of his technical or psychological ability that he sometimes runs on other days, then the answer is no. That paddler is simply exercising judgment under the circumstances.

I found that psychological fears rather than technical ability was what mostly caused me to walk, and it was psychological fear that ultimately stopped my development. At least part of those fears were irrational, and could have been overcome had I begun whitewater paddling at an earlier age, had I been encouraged by a strong safety group, or had the weather been warmer.

I haven’t paddled Zoar Gap in 20 years, but I distinctly remember running it river left – eddying out on the leftish side somewhere near the top and again somewhere further down. Perhaps the rapid has changed since then.

Already past 50, but I guess it is OK to walk.

https://www.rapidmedia.com/rapid/categories/departments/970-how-to-paddle-til-youre-50