Does your dog think they own you?

He’s been whispering in her ear.

3 Likes

My first Border Collie was a one year old rescue. She had been neglected and ignored. She did not know how to swim. I wanted her to be a canoe and raft dog, so one day we piled our other two dogs, my girl and me in the OT Guide 18 and left Bonnie on shore. We start paddling slowly away. She was slightly paniced to be left behind and ran back and forth on the lake shore for a minute or two. Then she entered the water and swam out to the canoe. She was a water dog from then on. She had large feet and became a really strong swimmer.

1 Like

Looks like a fine canoe dog to me

1 Like

All I need is a canoe.

She just got out of the water garden and was convinced that my ears needed to be licked. She is long and strong and almost 6 months old. And obviously well trained.

3 Likes

That’s puppy love. Sweet.

Careful, that’s a dominance move. :slight_smile:

She looks incredibly well behaved for 6 months. The 10 month old we get to borrow tomorrow has had pretty much zero training.

2 Likes

Doodles are usually extremely bright and actually want to please you. Whether it is tone of voice, posture, or understanding words they really pick up on their environment and people.
At Honey’s age she is easily distracted and will ignore me sometimes but it’s getting better all the time. The comparison to young children is almost uncanny.
Tom, pls keep us updated.

2 Likes

delete

Obviously I already have . This lap has raised 3 children and 7 grandchildren, not to mention several cats and dogs and a squirrel or two.

3 Likes

Our recent addition and future canoe dog. With a face like that she’ll probably own the house before we’re done.

3 Likes

That is a cute pup!

1 Like

Yes indeed you’re history! Boykin Spaniel?

We got Pollyanna back today on her first birthday. She got a haircut so we can see her eyes. Her eyes remind me of the fake ape in the original King Kong. She’s definitely smart and like the coonhound mutt she has some ideas about obedience being negotiable on a case by case basis. Seems like she’s got the physical capability to be an agility dog; she’s fast and agile and can just take off and fly anytime. Today we played “roll the tennis ball under the couch over and over until Tom is ready to scream”.

7 Likes

Castoff caught bribing young girls with candy again huh? If I only had a nickle…

of course. And he refuses to paddle

4 Likes

Yep, she’s a Boykin.

Boykins are great little dogs. Hunters for sure and water dogs.
I was hiking in the national forest with a friend and his young Boykin when we came across a large, steaming pile of road apples. The puppy dove in the pile and was having fun rolling in it. Hunting dogs do that to hide their scent I’ve read.
Luckily there was a creek nearby and after multiple stick fetches in it, the dog was allowed to get in the guys car.

2 Likes

Grizzled canoeists
and lap lovin’ dogs,
K 9 2 C 1
go swim with the frogs,

some sit in the seat,
some bark, “Dingo heel!”
One second stability,
for next moment to keel.

2 Likes

5 month old Ellie, Australian Shepherd/German Shepherd. On the couch with hubby right now. Earlier today she tried to shoplift a turkey neck from the feed store on the way out (so they made an extra sale). She did a bit of kayaking over the summer, and has a whole lot more in her future! When she isn’t biting us, she is as adorable as can be!

4 Likes