Does your dog think they own you?

Like a rock never stops. Swims good to with and without PFD.

2 Likes

Step 1 complete; Polly sits in canoe. Turns out she’s an Aussiedoodle, 1/4 Australin Shepherd & 3/4 poodle.

4 Likes

If you want to see what Polly really looks like, get her face a poodle cut. I got it for Honey because I didn’t like her beard dripping water everywhere.

Honey was at Doggy Day out today. She had to come home and dominate me.

1 Like

I was happy when Honey stopped biting. There were weeks when I bled every day.

2 Likes

Well together they are about 340lbs…and no they don’t kayak with me

5 Likes

You’re going to need a bigger boat!

1 Like

What are they?

3 Likes

I’m guessing Irish wolfhound.

1 Like

65lbs of deadweight, or rather too-lively weight. This was early days, when he was allowed in front of me with full run of the tandem boat. After too many near mishaps with beavers and heavy side leaning amidship, he’s now confined to sitting behind me as I solo from the bow seat facing astern. Makes for a godawful trim but at least he can’t heel the boat nearly as much. And I’ve gotten really good at keeping the boat straight with the front third out of the water. Problematic in a headwind though…all cause of the mutt…

4 Likes

I’m still not comfy with the concept of a dog that needs haircuts, much less expensive foofy haircuts. But the not shedding part is a nice feature.

Yesterday we floated about 10 feet offshore for a few minutes and also rode out some waves from a fishing boat. I was proud of Polly for not freaking out in the boat wake since the waves also made noise when they hit the shore. She’s got potential.

Betcha a dollar that they’d love a canoe.

Great pics. Never seen a pup sit on a canoe seat. I always liked the “dead weight”, it adds to your momentum/glide. Plus they bring enthusiasm and a shared sense of adventure.

2 Likes

The problem is he never sits in one spot very long! I like to complain about him a lot but somehow he never gets left home. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tom, as you can tell from the photos, my poodles are cut like working dogs. No cutesy nonsense. Faces cut closely, same for the feet , and relatively short all over. If you let them grow out, think dreadlocks.
I usually get them cut twice a year. Shedding dogs leave hair all over everything. Poodles little or nothing.

2 Likes

My neighbors have a pair of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. We have a lion free neighborhood.

2 Likes

Betcha they wouldn’t. They stand up about 36" at the shoulder.

Polly can also read your emotions. If you don’t freak, neither will she.

I love the Wolfhounds. Also the Scottish Deerhounds but they are more rarely seen.

1 Like

I had a dog try to own me today. Went for a run with a friend. A snarling dog came out of somebody’s yard, and latched onto my arm. He was big and burley. Fortunately I was wearing a couple of layers, or I’d be shredded. After he let go, he lunged again. He was not friendly. Neither was his owner, who tried some victim-blaming when I pointed out that he had indeed bitten me. Anyway, he broke the skin, and I haven’t heard back yet on his vaccination status. I’m taking antibiotics for the next 5 days, and hopefully NOT getting rabies shots. The ER visit took a couple of hours, by the time the deputy got there.

I love dogs. I do not love irresponsible dog owners.

Sorry for changing the tone of this thread. I’m still a little worked up, I guess.

2 Likes