Dog for my boat

Moly
Photos coming…with the rain on Sat we now have water but haven’t been out.

Mutt - puppy, about 3 months, about 12 lbs, possibly Shiba Inu/Husky mix, see what happens as she grows. Calm personality, we brought Dragon our parrot with us and (both shes) were uninterested in the other. Already seems to be aware of bodily functions, waited for me and no accidents this am.

PFD - I am already looking into. Yes, she definitely needs one. Probably needs a knit sweater for winter, and will not be out in brrr water unless I can find her an equivalent warm outfit.

About 90% of the paddling I do is flatwater - Farmington River, CT River, area ponds/lakes, so she will be fine. I don’t bring my kid into WW, nor will bring this “kid.”

Probably not going to be able to train with the paddles, but I betcha I can get her to help pull lines (ropes) from the boat to the shore, etc.

Thanks for all your replies!

Val

Training
Hi Mark, sorry for the delay in reply.

Morgan sits right in front of me, typically between my legs. This way I can use my legs to keep her on the centerline. I also adjusted the crossbar back so that see can not move too far forward. I use a nylon covered foam pad that also makes her sitting and down positions more comfortable. She still trys to smell the water lillies and jumping fish always get her attention. Using your knees and a gentle “no” correction does help. Over time they get comfortable staying on the centerline.

Training: I have had Morgan in training since she was a puppy (12 weeks). I use a lot of the skills that are taught in the obedience classes when we paddle. The consistancy also helps with her obedience.

Trust me, we have had our experiences. Once she started to play in the canoe and would not listen and we were upside down in an instant. After the dump, she has been more cautious.

I have another thing in my favor, Morgan is a therapy dog and goes to the office 2 days a week to work with children that are victims of violence. The more you taker her out and the more consistant you are with corrections and praise for doing the right thing the better she will be. You just have to paddle more oftin with your dog and thats not a bad thing… Have fun!

Well dang!
When I go out on flatwater it feels real to me. Oh well. Some of those sunset lake paddles did seem too good to be true…:wink:

dog breed
Try finding a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They are only about 35 pounds (of pure muscle, get a pdf of they may sink!) but they tend to like playing in water. They are very smart, and are one of the only breeds in the world who’s temperment is specified in the breed standard as rock solid reliable. They love children, and are nicknamed “the nanny dog.”

They’re difficult to find in rescues in this country, and there really aren’t even that many breeders here, though they are the 7th most popular dog in England. They are incredibly athletic dogs outside, and total couch potatoes in the house. The perfect dog, in my opinion.

If you look in shelters or rescues for this breed, do lots of breed research, since it isn’t a common breed here, many smaller APBTs and AmStaffs get labled as StaffyBulls. Not neccisarily bad, just know that they are different breeds, and they have different temperments. But like someone has already said, dogs are individuals, even within the breed. So it doesn’t hurt to know the history, temperment, and breed standard of ALL the bully breeds if you are looking into one in particular. Go with a reputable rescue that takes the time to get to know their dogs as individuals and you can’t go wrong, regardless of the breed.

Good luck on your dog search!

Try Fostering First
I dont know if this has been mentioned before , but many humain societies have a foster program. That way you can try before you “BY”. And you’ll be giving an animal a chance to get out of the cage and into a little real life home. Even if you decide this is not the dog for you, you’ll have helped socialize him a litle more and make him a better pet for someone else.

Welsh Springer Spaniel needs home

– Last Updated: Oct-22-05 9:33 AM EST –

Take a look at this link - not sure if the dog is still available but he desperately needs a home and the owner is a kayaker. You could help both of them out!

http://www.nspn.org/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID4/392.html

Suz

whoops - see you already got one - but if someone else is looking....

Paddling partners
My dog is a pound puppy rescue. When he joined my family he was psychotic. He chewed constantly ( 2 years old when I adopted him), was terrified of everything. Through time patience and love he has become one of the greatest joys to our family. It took one season to get him over his fear of water and into boats. Now he goes on most paddling trips with us and hates to be left behind. There are times when he does stay home tho, He does not enjoy rougher water so if we are looking for a little ww to play in he has to hold down the fort. In thoose instances it is best for both him and us. He is never allowed in a boat without his vest, that has saved the day on more than one trip. He has been known to steal a boat when tired of waiting for his human paddlers at the waters edge g… Goodluck in your search and have fun!!kim

Hey, are you referring to Angus’ Topock
Gorge paddling partner, your little bow rider? How are you guys???

Pam

and Angus sends his regards:)

My dogs don’t lke the water but
like when we get to shore. They are a pain to bring in the canoe at times, but in general not too bad. Ones just a mutt about fifty pounds and the other an miniature American Eskimo. The last trip on Takla Lake in BC was eight days. They always wear a PFD which makes picking them out of the water and putting them in the boat easier. Being an empty nester, the house would seem empty without them. I’m actually thinking of getting a third dog as a friend for my Eskie. I’d suggest a small dog which would be much easier to transport and less frightening to people when on shore. Check out Petfinder.com. They list dogs of all types and you can do a search on the type you want. Much less traumatic than going to the pound and knowing that many of the dogs won’t be around much longer unless adopted.

my golden/husky mix
loves to swim with us when we paddle. Small lakes and such present no problems for her. She is a bit much to paddle in the boat with since she is around 60-70 lbs. and wants to swim.

tommorow will be the big first day
of intro Moly to kayaks. If ti stops pouring…

We did get her a PFD and it’s sooo cute.

Jack Russel?

– Last Updated: Oct-22-05 11:01 PM EST –

I have a Jack Russel. He is a great paddling companion: stays still in the boat and doesn't take up too much room. He has a large yard to run around in at will and loves my stepchildren with a vengence. They aren't for everyone but for the right folks, are great dogs.

Rusty does growl at any strangers that get too close..He's great to have around at some of the launches in the Tampa area and would bite a bad man in a heartbeat.

There is a Jack Russel rescue site on the internet. You can look by state for animals that need loving homes.

yep
Hey sweety: we are doing greats… Getting ready to move the whole family to AZ, probably in the next couple of months … How are you and Angus??

kim