Dog for my boat

Looking to adopt. Mutt preferred. I mostly paddle a ClearWater St Lawrence with 2 big hatches, so a dog could go in one of those; for real camping expeditions of course we’re taking the canoe.

Went to the Humane Society, they were very nice, spent some time talking about various breeds, sizes.

20-35 lbs? Not too jumpy. Would prefer a mature dog who is already used to the idea of being housetrained. Large farmhouse with a big yard. 1 calm small child (7). 2 caged parrots.

MUST be able to handle a kayak paddle on his or her own, even if it’s only a shorter one than my usual 210 cm. And willing to accept that I wear a beige Tilley.

Any further suggestions for sources, available for adoption potential paddling buddies?

my micky
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/liv2padl/danandmicky.jpg

but you couldn’t have him for a million bucks.

Ive Seen Them And They Are
the perfect size for yakin or paddlin.

On the other hand my Lab mix, on the small side for a Lab, needs an ocean liner.

happy paddling,

Mark

Mickey
Ok, so Mickey is exactly…what? Border Collie?

Excuse my ignorance. You wanna talk wildflowers or orchids, I’m pretty good. Dogs is a new concept, fueled by the love for a 7 year old girl (calm girl, also owns 2 kayaks)

micky is …
a Papillon. not just any papillon mind you, but the best papillon in all of dogdom.

Mickey is not available
As well as being THE BEST ever…OK.

Glad to know what breed. Looks very snuggly, too. Better than my little green & orange flying buddy who weighs 1 1/2 oz. Peep. Snuggle? Squish.

Another nice thing about the Tilley, washes clean easily after being used as a parrot perch.

Lots of possibilities but the paddle
handling part threw me.I haven’t met a dog with an opposable thumb. Maybe a chimp?

Labrador
I bought a Labradore (Morgan)to go paddling. At that time I paddled a QCC600. I then bought a Wenonah Jensen 18 and moved the cross members forward to fit Morgan. My wife, Morgan, and I paddled a lot. I then bought a used Bell Majic so I could paddle with Morgan. I became a Lab lover and my kayak is used a lot less. My Majic and Wenonah are Kevlar and to a degree, as fast as any kayak I have paddled.

Labs can be a hand full but I enjoy paddling with her. She is on the small side but, still weighs 75#. Enjoy what ever dog you get. If you are thinking Labrador, google the national Labradore Retriever club. Their site will point you to local Lab rescure groups.

If he is neutered
get him these http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051007/ap_on_fe_st/ig_nobels;_ylt=AjwZfCBZF4EA5XNgYhFBa6us0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

where…
Where do you find these bits of info? LOL!

DanzInn
Where did you let your lab ride when you paddled your kayak?

I have tried my Amy a couple of times riding on a piece of carpet lashed both fore and aft. She is a 50# lab mix and she love the water. She is too young to continue training right now but I have some thoughts about further training when she is a bit older. Right now she jumps off with any invitation including a splash of water, bug, fish, anything.

happy paddling,

Mark

Humane societies
As a former employee of a humain society I can comment on a few things. A Mut may have great trait of what they once were… but they may not. Humane societies are notorious for calling a dog a “Lab mix” based purely on what they look like as a puppy. In reality, as we reminded possible adoptors, that puppy could be a 100 lb full bred Labrador, or a 20 lb Heinze 57 with zero lab in them. To make make the situation even worse, dogs are very unique to the animal. My co-worker has a Springer Spaniel (full breed) that hates water, even though spaniels are water dogs.

So my suggestion would be to visit a humane society often and study the dogs available. Take as many out as you can. If you need to, make repeated trips. If you have the time, ask to be a volunteer and study the dogs when you volunteer. Puppies are great since you can train then yourself and you only have yourself to blame if they turn bad. However, they are entirely unpredictable as to what they will look like full grown and WILL destroy some of your favorite things (like your yard, house…). An adult of adolescent dog will be a better display of final product, but will be harder to train to be the dog you exactly want. Ask the employees about their traits. They are the ones who see the dog the most. Ask if they like playing in puddles, ect. And above all… love your dog regardless of how they turn out. Even if they hate water, you will still have an excelent freind.

Scott

Rescue Societies
Many of the rescue societies bring in dogs that are mixes of the targeted breed and something else. If you ever want to see some funky looking dawgs, go to the site of the New England Bassett Hound Rescue Society and check out the bassett/bloodhound mixes. My sister got a bassett/beagle mix from them and he’s a absolutely great dog. A little too smart for the humans some days, but honest enough that you have to enjoy the stunts he pulls. These societies often foster the dogs out so they really get a good sense of how they behave in a home environment, with kids, other animals etc.

I am sure that there is a lab rescue society that would have some mixes which would bring the size into line with what you want. Or maybe a border collie? They’d certainly be OK in the water, though a full blood border collie requires a lot of activity. A mix might be a little more balanced in that respect.

That’s not to say all the dogs are easy - there is a rescued boxer living down the street that seems so damaged I doubt that she can ever be outside of the house except on a very short leash and loaded up with tranquilizers. But I am sure that the rescue society apprised them of the issue before they adopted, though maybe no one could have predicted that two years later the dog would still be about the same. I think this may be a dog that is both scared and dumb.

As to paddling ability - the one breed that I can think of that you could teach to hold a paddle and paddle with it as well would be a Russell Terrier. But they are smaller than your target size. (Though they are great fearless dogs.)

How about NONE?
Dogs don’t belong in kayaks. If you want a dog, fine, but leave him at home when you go paddling.

How about a …
Boykin Spaniel. Quite compact, likes the water (used for hunting/retrieving for upland and waterfowl)You can check out a picture at 3browndogs.com

Lots of folks take their dog paddling
And the dogs really like it. Lighten up Brian.

If you’ve got a dog in your boat…
…you can’t do any real kayaking. Flatwater paddling yes, but that’s it. To each his own, but I still think it’s a dumb thing to do.

Dog PFD
Whatever partner you find, consider outfitting your dog w/ a PFD. You never know when you will swim. Most dogs swim, but like us, get tired after awhile. Take care of your partner.

Ganz has been riding…
since she was 9 weeks old. Shes now 70 lbs which is small for a German Shepherd. But thats why I love her she fits and knows how to move around in the cockpit and she beats me in everytime!!! Yeah I only do flatwater but thats where I see all the stuff I want to see! We’ve seen deer and beaver… and she only flinches when they are almost right on top of the boat, but with the reminder to just watch she does just that! Good for a couple hours and I rest my legs and feet on the outside of cockpit which I do anyway if I don’t have her with me, so its not uncomfortable either. Good luck finding a new friend!

No different than driving a dog in a car

– Last Updated: Oct-09-05 11:16 PM EST –

Can't really secure him. If I took Otis kayaking with me back instead of leaving him onshore, I would not have ended up eating him. He was saved by his doggie PFD but met his demise on a wok!